Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Is Lexus Trying To Ape The Germans?

My beautiful IS 250 SEI has just reached 4 years old, so I've been looking at the new version as a replacement. After a test drive I've come away quite depressed. Lexus is clearly trying to play the German manufacturers at their own game. Let's be clear here - Lexus can't win with that approach.

Lexus qualities are luxury, silence, smoothness, understatement and above all - comfort.

So why did I find myself in a car that has rock-hard seats that caused me back pain? I don't mean the ridiculous sports seats in the F-Sport. I mean the normal seats. The soft buttery leather and ample padding has gone, to be replaced with a BMW-style hardness. I first noticed this new seat-type in the revised GS and was worried it would come to the IS. It's a deal-breaker for me with my bad back.

It looks like I'll have to trade up to an RX to get the lux seats, before they "improve" that model too.

Other disappointments - slightly plasticky, tacky fascia and door panels, horrible black plastic inserts on the centre console, glove-box lid and door switch area. A real mishmash of styles. Do I look like someone who lusts after an LFA? Erm, no.

Lexus, please stick to what you've done so well for the last few decades, and put the comfy seats back in.

I mean the normal seats. The soft buttery leather and ample padding has gone, to be replaced with a BMW-style hardness.

Other disappointments - slightly plasticky, tacky fascia and door panels, horrible black plastic inserts on the centre console, glove-box lid and door switch area.

Sounds like Lexus has revived the IS200 Sport then :hehe:

to be fare to Lexus, the IS model was not meant to be a Luxury Lexus to begin with. its meant to be a Sporty Saloon than a Luxury one. GS's and LS's cater for more Luxury than Sporty drive hence their seats are more pampering and cushioning. gen1 IS was more of a 'drivers' car Lexus kind of lost that 'drivers' car appeal with the Gen2 which I have test drove the IS250 version and I concluded it was more focused on luxury feel than drive feel. this is not a bad thing for the driver who wants more Luxury than sporty drive, but I have a feeling it didn't go down well with the hard-core sporty drivers so they have reverted back to the character the gen1 had with regards to the way it drove, ride feel, the way it looked and handled. my mate owns a 2001 330Ci and I have driven and rode in it lots of times and every time I get into my IS, it feels like I am floating even with 18" wheels on. another mate of mine owns the 530d in 08 plate and that one has a more softer feel compared to the 01 330Ci which is raw and harsh but sticks like glue round corners but did not ride like a luxury car the 530d does a better job of riding better than the 3 series. rumour and first impression test drives has it the gen3 IS handles better than the latest 3 series BMW minus the M3 models of course but the IS250's and 350's are said to be better round corners and braking than 325i and 335i BMW's so my guess will be Lexus has sacrificed better ride feel and softer seats for a 3 series beater IS.

to be fare to Lexus, the IS model was not meant to be a Luxury Lexus to begin with... my mate owns a 2001 330Ci and I have driven and rode in it lots of times and every time I get into my IS, it feels like I am floating even with 18" wheels on.

I can see your point, but Lexus are in danger of alienating their existing customer base with some very questionable attempts at being "sporty". For example, the IS300h will never be genuinely sporty (see the recent carbuyer test video). So why not make it super-luxurious?

Incidentally, BMW seem to be going in the opposite direction, offering comfort seats for those who like a bit of indulgence.

Lexus have set a global strategy to attract younger owners. Styling and handling are seen as two areas where they needed to concentrate on, the start of which is apparent in the latest models.

Oh dear, that makes it sound like I'm over the hill at 41. This new strategy of theirs is sure to end in tears.

This new strategy of theirs is sure to end in tears.

Well that's a bit strong, but I suppose they could introduce a softer version to continue the ethos of the previous IS250.

Maybe they will if there is enough customer feedback...

Incidentally, BMW seem to be going in the opposite direction, offering comfort seats for those who like a bit of indulgence.

Yes you now hear most hard-core BMW enthusiasts saying modern BMW's don't have the drive feel of the raw E36 and E46 3 series BMW's. most hard-core old school BMer owners in some US forums are now switching to Infiniti G models as its said to have the raw E36, E46 drive and handle feel. most people not in the know or who have not experienced driving a 3 series before always think they are a luxurious car but they are very harsh and raw but take them round corners and only a few cars can keep up with them round the bends and I have seen it for my self with a 330Ci nice handling car but still wont go out and buy one tho way too common for my liking. BMW is now toning the raw harsh feel down and offering more softer cushion like seats and suspension as confirmed by most on their forums and that's not going down well with them either even some dont like the twin turbo setup the 335i has they wanted the engine to stay all NA like a typical BMW. and I think Lexus wants to snatch the no1 handling sport salon car from BMW 3 series and even Infiniti G models to push sales up as most who will be driving the IS don't really want to be pampered with soft ride and cushion seats. they want to take corners very fast,brake very late and feel the road more if you know what I mean and that comes with a harsh ride unfortunately.

Well I've gone from Rock Hard german seats in a 5 series M Sport to the new 4GS, and the seats in the Lexus are amazing - soft and comfortable -

The IS was always supposed to be a sports saloon - to compete with the 3 series. It's never done that too well as the compromises haven't been worth it.....so the new IS will be an evolution of that theme.

Lexus need sales in the UK (and europe), just look at how many Lexus's actually sell here, especially the new GS (there are very few actually on the roads). They have to make it like the 3 series or the Audi A4 to compete - it's clearly what the customers want (BMW sold more 3 series than Ford sold Mondeo's for a few years running), so that recipe works.

I Was a bit concerned when I looked at the new GS seats and
noticed that they were a lot thinner than the MK3 seats, but I am also very
pleased with the new seats, they are comfortable and support you a lot better,
the MK3 drivers seat was like sitting on a ball, every time you went round a
corner you fell off. As for the ride I wouldn’t say it was a hard ride , but it
is certainly a sharper, stiffer ride than the MK3, with little body roll.

Agree with the responses.

Lexus is scarcely present at all in Continental Europe and well behind the German premium brands in the UK in terms of sales. Just doing what it has always done won't change that.

The 2IS was not a successful car for Lexus anywhere - as noted above, it was too much of a copy of the larger GS and LS when in fact that segment calls for a sportier approach.

I have to say, for all that, that I've found the new 3IS incredibly quiet and extremely comfortable.

I Was a bit concerned when I looked at the new GS seats and

noticed that they were a lot thinner than the MK3 seats, but I am also very

pleased with the new seats, they are comfortable and support you a lot better,

the MK3 drivers seat was like sitting on a ball, every time you went round a

corner you fell off. As for the ride I wouldn’t say it was a hard ride , but it

is certainly a sharper, stiffer ride than the MK3, with little body roll.

Agreed. The seats in my new 4GS are way better than the ones in my previous car- a 2009 3GS.

They are more supportive and supremely comfortable.

The 4GS I have ( F-Sport) also handles better, rides better (even on 19" wheels), and is quieter and more refined than my old GS.

Lexus certainly are not losing luxury credentials in my opinion, I think the 4GS is a real step forward for Lexus in terms of driver enjoyment. Can't speak for the new IS, but after some doubts about the looks in pictures, I must say the on seeing some in the flesh I feel they are a mighty fine looking car.