Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Starter Motor On An Ls430 2004 - Some Tips

I don't know where I stand with this. It's an easy job if you're relatively used to being around an engine bay. There are alot of horror stories with this job if you search around, but I think this is down to people not having decent tools.

My way was:

Drain all the coolant from everywhere, 3 cocks that is.

Remove all the plastic rubbish.

Take alot of pictures.

Disconnect all the sensors, all the injectors, Battery etc etc.

Remove the manifold with a friend.

Undo wire harness bolts at back

Remove the flow through tube - replace o-ring

Remove rear water bypass - replace gaskets

Now you have loads of room, I just stick my small 1/4 ratchet in the back and undid the starter bolts by hand. No issue whasoever.

Replace the contacts and clean up the plunger.

Refit everything.

Definetly handy tools are:

Magnet

Long reach needle nose plies- straight and angled

Long reach hose clip plies

Wobbly bits

All looks good to me, I think the later VVTI engines are easier than the earlier ones as the intake comes off in one piece but still a pig of a job.

Major side effect for me was back ache.

Must admit I didn't fancy putting it all back together again to discover it still didn't work so used the removed Battery and some wire to test it before refitting.

Thought it had gone again a few weeks later but it was a slightly loose Battery terminal instead, used the 10mm spanner in the tool kit.

3 cocks and wobbly bits?!!!!!!

Think I will leave that job for someone else!

You have to be quite good at reach arounds for this job.

Thought it had gone again a few weeks later but it was a slightly loose battery terminal instead

Is that what was meant by wobbly bits?!! :unsure:

Dunno but my Mrs. is an expert with them :)

• Like 1

Thought it had gone again a few weeks later but it was a slightly loose battery terminal instead

Now that may just be too much information, and just before dinner as well! :sick:

Now that may just be too much information, and just before dinner as well! :sick:

And for dinner tonight we are having Sausage and two veg. Mike

So did you get backache, or did you do it in stages, and how many hours would you say from start to finish?

I have a ramp in my warehouse. So when I get bored of doing work I pop down and do it.

If you're new to this budget 6 hours.

If you're used to this crap, budget 4 hours.

If I was to do the job again I can have the manifold and starter out in 90 minutes.

So did you get backache, or did you do it in stages, and how many hours would you say from start to finish?

I have a ramp in my warehouse. So when I get bored of doing work I pop down and do it.

If you're new to this budget 6 hours.

If you're used to this crap, budget 4 hours.

If I was to do the job again I can have the manifold and starter out in 90 minutes.

That's pretty good going I think. I was charged £350 for replacing the plunger and contacts which I supplied, so apart from coolant and gaskets it was nearly all labour. If I had the space to work I would have gone for it myself.

• 1 year later...

If you follow the info in this thread you should be fine if you've got reasonable knowledge. Take photos or video to help when replacing. Most importantly bung the holes when the manifold comes off, dropping anything down there would be a disaster!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links