Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Buyers Guide/what To Look For

Hi all, having been the owner of an IS200 for 7 years now I'm ready to upgrade. Strongly considering an is 220D and was wondering if there's a buyers guide please? I know we had similar for the IS200 some time back.

Is the reliability as good as the older generation IS?

I only have £6k to splash out so given the trader a quick glance I'd be looking at one with 80k on if you can offer any pointers on what to look out for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lloyd :)

If its reliability your after get the 250 instead. Only the 220 if you do a lot of regular motorway miles.

+1 to that. I've had both (and a is200 sport before that) and would definitely advise you look at the 250 auto.

250 all the way, bought mine as an approved lexus with one owner and 18k on the clock in jul 08. Now done 142k and still drives the same and economy 33 - 35 mpg throughout. There are virtually no advantages with the 220d over the 250 and loads of well documented disadvantages! Also just so happens mine is available for less than £5k from next week :)

IS220d buyers guide. Mine would be buy a Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B. That's what I wanted to buy but SWMBO had to have the stupid Lexus and I caved in. Now ours hasn't had any issues yet (mind we only have in 6 months or so) but it is painfully slow off the mark, actually dangerously so to my mind, how I missed this on the test drives I do not know. It gobbles diesel (my 535d is more frugal) and really does sound like a tractor. It is a nice looking car and in general is not too badly sorted inside, ours has everything and then some (hate the aircon controls on the stupid screen though).

Unless you are fond of headaches buy a petrol one, I knew this and still got it, so please don't do as I did just do as I say :)

I found mine was extremely laggy until the engine change, but it's going extremely well now and just averaged 50mpg on a recent 300 mile motorway trip, it really pulls like a train 3rd gear upwards, the thing you have to remember they are very long geared so you don't get that instant shove you get with VAG TDis but its certainly not a slow car, altho it's certainly no 535d lol

I don't particularly rate the IS250, yes it's definately less likely to go wrong - but it can't match the diesels economy on a run and it's not particularly powerful for such a big engine. I think the IS-F is the answer to the IS range tbh lol

I would never recommend an IS220d to anyone. The IS250 Auto is almost as economical and far more reliable.

The IS220d has a notchy gearbox, terrible final drive (geared at the diff way too high, unless you get the earlier Sport models), major flatspots below 1700rpm, much narrower power delivery than most pretty much any equivalent german diesel, suspect head gaskets, 5th Injectors, EGR's etc etc. There are some good ones out there, but I suspect most have underlying issues. It might drive OK on a test drive, but I found it quite tiresome to live with for 2.5 years.

The comment above about it being dangerous off the mark is one that resonates with me. Especially at roundabouts where you need a quick getaway...it was a few of those that really made me want to change.

If you're gonna have a Lexus, buy what they do best - petrol or petrol/hybrid Auto's. Period. If you want a diesel, go for an Audi.

Thanks for all your replies.

It's safe to say I have been put off the 220d now lol. I couldn't afford to have a 250 at the moment as I'm still 6 months into running a business- although I appreciate what you all say about mpg and given diesel still has that 5p a litre premium.

Strongly considering a Honda civic diesel now, sure it's smaller but after having a look round one yesterday I think it do me for awhile.

What a shame the is220d doesn't live up to the previous IS's :(!!

Thanks for all your replies.

It's safe to say I have been put off the 220d now lol. I couldn't afford to have a 250 at the moment as I'm still 6 months into running a business- although I appreciate what you all say about mpg and given diesel still has that 5p a litre premium.

Strongly considering a Honda civic diesel now, sure it's smaller but after having a look round one yesterday I think it do me for awhile.

What a shame the is220d doesn't live up to the previous IS's :(!!

Lloyd, i wouldnt be put off a 220d - just check the reg with Lexus and see if its had an engine replacement under warranty - if it does, it will be as reliable as any other modern diesel IMO

VAG have serious problems with their (04-09) 2.0 TDi PD engines - oil pump failures are very common (which usually take the engine with it when it goes) pourous heads on early 04-05 and BKD engined cars, siemens injectors etc..at least lexus/toyota extended the warranty to 7yrs/112,000 miles to cover the HG fault (and components that have went wrong as a result) All modern diesels regardless of make have their problems.

I reckon that Honda diesel would probably be the most reliable derv out there (out of the box) timing chain is a big plus like the toyota diesels!

At the end of the day is was a D4D from Toyota that was adapted to fit into a Lexus....even if yours has had a new engine, it won't drive brilliantly. My GS250 is almost as economical as my IS220d was, driven in similar conditions, style etc, may be 5-10% tops down at worst. For me that is a small price to pay - I now have a proper Lexus. Like I say, if you want a Lexus buy a petrol or a Hybrid one - that is what Lexus is all about...

Even Lexus dealers will tell you it was a bad idea.

Don't really see your point about it being a d4d adapted for lexus - I always thought that it was designed for lexus? I'm not disagreeing with you about the gearing, it's really isn't great, our 140 TDi CR Volkswagen will pull cleanly from 6th gear from 40mph upwards, whereas 6th gear in the 220 is absolutely pointless. From my experience the 250 would get nowhere near a healthy 220 mpg wise, as I said ours had cracked 50mpg on long journeys loads of times, our old 2.0 duratec-HE focus (same engine as fiesta ST) was at least 13mpg down driven the same way at the same speeds.

Don't really understand how Lexus made a boo boo of this. Diesel engines from Toyota are absolutely bullet proof.

Lexus/ Toyota are the same thing! The problem is with Toyota AD engines from 06-09 model years - doesn't matter if its a 2.0 d4d in an Avensis/Auris or a 2.2 in a RAV4 or Lexus IS - they all suffer from the same problems!

From my experience the 250 would get nowhere near a healthy 220 mpg wise, as I said ours had cracked 50mpg on long journeys loads of times, our old 2.0 duratec-HE focus (same engine as fiesta ST) was at least 13mpg down driven the same way at the same speeds.

My IS250 is showing 37.3 mpg so far. With the current tank I filled it up just prior to a long motorway trip, and at one point it was showing over 48 mpg (with air con on all the way). If I didn't live in the hills and do lots of short journeys 40+ average would be normal. When it's got up to speed it seems very keen to carry it unless I brake, far more so than other cars I've driven. Servicing, insurance, breakdown & cleaning are costing me much more than petrol so far.

48mpg from a 2.5 V6? That's crazy - I'd say that I would get 48mpg from my 2.2 IS but I have a fairly heavy foot and ever go below 70 our old 1.8 VVTL-I Corolla T-sport would have been mid 30s with the same time of driving at best (and that's not even taking it over 6,000rpm)

Geez, I really did both think that kind of mpg was possible from a big petrol engine...geez even our old 1.6 focus (from years ago) would have got mid late 30s at best driving the same way. Would a Ford 1.0 ecoboost even get that mpg in the real world?

48mpg from a 2.5 V6? That's crazy - I'd say that I would get 48mpg from my 2.2 IS but I have a fairly heavy foot and ever go below 70 our old 1.8 VVTL-I Corolla T-sport would have been mid 30s with the same time of driving at best (and that's not even taking it over 6,000rpm)

That was between Lewes and the Dartford Tunnel with two passengers, full petrol tank, at 30 ambient and air con set to 20 (auto). There are a lot of hills to deal with, but roadworks kept one section at 40 and another at 50 for a while, otherwise 65-70 depending on conditions with an occasional tailwind where the road was exposed. The car had about 10 minutes to warm up prior to the fill-up, so it wasn't quite cold. I continued on to Basildon to visit a friend, then drove back late evening when the (head)wind had dropped some and it was cooler outside. Similar to +5mph speeds, and by the time I got home the tank mpg said 45.3.

However, a great deal of my driving is short distance (train station / Tesco / baby centre), so the overall average is a long way down on what I can get on a long trip. Because of this I run a slightly lighter oil to help out with engine wear when cold.

• 2 months later...

That was between Lewes and the Dartford Tunnel with two passengers, full petrol tank, at 30 ambient and air con set to 20 (auto). There are a lot of hills to deal with, but roadworks kept one section at 40 and another at 50 for a while, otherwise 65-70 depending on conditions with an occasional tailwind where the road was exposed. The car had about 10 minutes to warm up prior to the fill-up, so it wasn't quite cold. I continued on to Basildon to visit a friend, then drove back late evening when the (head)wind had dropped some and it was cooler outside. Similar to +5mph speeds, and by the time I got home the tank mpg said 45.3.

However, a great deal of my driving is short distance (train station / Tesco / baby centre), so the overall average is a long way down on what I can get on a long trip. Because of this I run a slightly lighter oil to help out with engine wear when cold.

What do you mean lighter oil?? I do most city drive and my mpg its like 21-23 so when I see thise figures guys im like wtf ? Whete do u get all thise mpg from a is220d? ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links