Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1G-Fe Issues

addyr200

hey new here to the forum and the world of a lexus.

i have just bought myself a 2000 is200 2 days ago, test driving the car it ran sweet as a nut no issues at all. so i bought it drove the car for about 2 hours after the purchase that night, still no issues.

it wasnt until this morning when i got up to go to work that i noticed a knocking sound from the engine and the oil pressure lamp was on. checked the oil and it was at max level. so i drove the car down the road and give it the boot and the light went out and the knock stopped. later that day after work i got into the car and there was no knock but driving home the knock gradually came back. as a dealer technican for chrysler i am well experienced with vehicles. but this has me baffled as to why it comes and goes. my theory is that there is a low oil pressure either a blockage or scrap pump. people have sugested big end bearings but surely they would knock constant and not come and go. has anybody had any issues of this nature before would really appreciate a 2nd opinion thanks

just changed my oil and filter got the oem gear and fitted them tonight, also added slick 50 and it near as makes no difference but the oil that came out was almost like glue and a greeny colour rather than black,(after and engine flush) searched the bottom of the drain pain for filings and i found one filing in the oil. and when started its clunking hard with oil light on and few revs and if goes of and the engine quietens down. but you can still hear it at higher revs 2000+rpm

Hate to say this, but if you've put fresh good quality oil in and it's still knocking that doesn't bode well. If the oil pump isn't working correctly the damage may already have been done.

Can you identify where the knock is coming from? ie, top or bottom end. Sounds to me like someone has put thick oil in to hide a problem. (Not uncommon)

Hate to say this, but if you've put fresh good quality oil in and it's still knocking that doesn't bode well. If the oil pump isn't working correctly the damage may already have been done.

Can you identify where the knock is coming from? ie, top or bottom end. Sounds to me like someone has put thick oil in to hide a problem. (Not uncommon)

thanks fella definatly a cover up by someone i think, near sure the oil pump has failed. drove earlier and knocking because louder and faster, almost like ball bearings loose in the cylinder, and EML is flashing and hard to start and only going like 30mph. none the less new engine ordered, coming tomorrow fix it once and for all thanks mate

Glad you've sorted an engine. If looked after reasonably well they should be smooth as silk for miles. Mine doesn't sound like it's done 138k miles, and i'm sure it's missed the odd service before I bought it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links