Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Gs300 Mk2 Differential Oil Change

addzLex

Does anyone know where the fill & drain holes are for the rear differential. I've had a quick look when the car was up in air when getting exhaust fitted. Couldn't quite tell, and wouldn't want to get to the wrong holes. I've had a search on forums, only vaguely saw a drain point. Don't really fancy getting it wrong.

Thanks in advance

The drain and refil bolts are on the side of the diff (on the drivers side I think). Which one is which will be obvious (one higher than the other). 1.35 litres of Hypoid gear oil API GL-5.

Torque for the plugs is 39 ft lbs.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up Rick

Lexus/Toyota differential oil should be ok shouldn't it?

I would assume so mate, I'd expect it to meet the standard they specify (the one I mentioned above).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I'll get a better pic later.

It's 80w90 universal gear oil. Bloke behind the counter went to technicians and said it's what they use for diff.

A quick search on net shows people use between 75w90 and 80w90. Now this is the worrying bit. Don't want to use the wrong grade

Either of those grades should be fine I think, as long as it conforms to the GL-5 standard, as specified in the service manuals. I don't have the manuals at work to check if it mentions the viscosities.

Thanks for that. I'll get a better pic later.

It's 80w90 universal gear oil. Bloke behind the counter went to technicians and said it's what they use for diff.

A quick search on net shows people use between 75w90 and 80w90. Now this is the worrying bit. Don't want to use the wrong grade

The specs say SAE 90 from -18deg C upward. SAE 80W or 80W - 90 for -18deg C or lower. Its just temperature based so it OK.

Thanks a lot for info.

I had a look at the back sticker and it seems to conform to GL-5.

Just a pointer while on topic. When performing a transmission flush. Is it the right side hose that needs to come off on a right had drive car when looking at the engine bay? Also will the fluid come out of radiator, or the naked metal hose?

Thanks

IMAG2880_zps60624305.jpg

From what I've read, the old fluid comes out of the radiator.

One of the tutorials I read says disconnect both, see which hose the oil comes out of, then reconnect that to the radiator, and oil flows out of the other - otherwise you end up with a radiator (cooler) full of old ATF,

just done the transmission fluid change.

The return pipe is the straighter one which runs directly front to rear and is slightly towards the drivers side.

This is the one to disconnect.

The other pipe runs at an angle, and is more on the passenger side.

above directions for standard RHD UK spec '99 GS300

• Like 1

not really driven it enough to notice, tbh.

seems a little better - a little smoother.

I have no real reference point tho - I usually drive a 15 y/o 2.5D transit, and the contrast is so large that any small improvements in the lexus pale by comparison.

Oh!

I posted on my own thread, think it's worth mentioning here.

Do a sump drain and refill immediately before doing the radiator drain and refill, otherwise you end up mixing all your nice clean ATF with the old stuff that's already in the sump.

Will go much faster, and use less ATF that way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links