Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Project Celsior, The Story So Far.

Hi Steve ,I have also been following your adventure with interest . Where did you purchase your O2 sensors and what sort of price are they ? I have been getting code 21 and 28 so will be looking to replace mine in the near future.

I hope you sort the remaining problem soon .

I bought a couple of cheap universals on eBay for £34.00 I didn't want to spend £100s on OEM just incase they didn't sort the problem which they didn't.

Bit of wiring involved but the codes have gone so must be doing the job.

Come with a 1 year warranty if that's worth anything on eBay!

I think OEM equivalent universal Denso sensors are around £70.00 each on there.

Don't hold your breath too long but I think I have finally sorted the Celsior!

I checked the exhaust gas pressure vis the O2 sensor holes using a home made gauge and all was well. The guys on CL suggested it could be collapsed cats due to overheating from the misfire.

With little to lose at this point I poured in half a bottle of Redex injector cleaner into the petrol tank and then ran the engine, up to now the engine revs cleanly throughout the full range and this was confirmed on a short test drive.

So I am now thinking the final problem was due to sticking injectors possibly due to the car standing for several months before I got it.

Time will tell but looking good.

Don't hold your breath too long but I think I have finally sorted the Celsior!

I checked the exhaust gas pressure vis the O2 sensor holes using a home made gauge and all was well. The guys on CL suggested it could be collapsed cats due to overheating from the misfire.

With little to lose at this point I poured in half a bottle of Redex injector cleaner into the petrol tank and then ran the engine, up to now the engine revs cleanly throughout the full range and this was confirmed on a short test drive.

So I am now thinking the final problem was due to sticking injectors possibly due to the car standing for several months before I got it.

Time will tell but looking good.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Wow, hope so too .... tell us Steve, would we all maybe benefit from Redex ? I remember it being a regular shot into the petrol tank in those heady days when I was a petrol pump attendant in the 60's !! when I was a young lad that is......... weekend job to buy my new Hillman Imp :outforcount:

Malc

As you say Malc it's been going some years, the stuff I put in was petrol treatment in a plastic bottle but it looked and smelled the same as what's in the pump dispenser I got from my Dad's shed.

It claims to help clean fuel injectors so looks like it really does also safe for cat convertors, mind you I wouldn't advise pouring it neat into the intake like we used to to make white smoke pour out of the exhaust!

• 8 months later...

Well it's only been 9 months since I last updated,with work comittments and the weather only now have I had the time to continue this project.

After all the previous work the engine was still not running like a V8 should so I decided to once again lift the bonnet and get my hands dirty.

Working on ignition based theory I invested a mere £5.00 in an ignition lead checker,basically you put it on the HT leads and it flashes to indicate a spark is present.

Completely naff in daylight but last night after it got dark I retried it and sure enough it did flash.

What I discovered from this was the sparks from one coil pack were intermittent and didn't light up the device as much as the other coil pack.

Turns out the passenger side coil pack was the cause of all the problems, I took the top one off my running car and swopped it in, fired up immediately and no more misfires.:)

Ordered a new replacement which will be here on Tuesday.

So finally the Celsior lives once again,just got to put it all back together now and get it MOTd.

• Like 1

Decided today to fit the top coil into the passenger side position so I could reassmble most of the engine parts.

What a fiddly job, the passenger side coil bracket is secured by 2 bolts,one at the front of the engine just behind the serpentine belt but the other is a 14mm bolt to the right of the coil just above the AC compressor.

To even have a chance the Battery and tray have to come out but even then there is very little room to actually get the bolt in the hole and the hole is angled down.

You can get the bolt in but then there is no room to actually turn it.

Left handed, right handed took me 30 minutes for one stupid bolt :(

New coil will be delivered Tuesday but fitting that one is now a five minute job.

I had that coil go faulty when I had a Mk2, apparently the heat from the exhaust does them in

It certainly is a stupid place to put it Ian, the top one is well ventilated by the radiator fan, why not mount them both at the top?

• 2 weeks later...

Took it for MOT and FAILED!

Mostly mechanical

NS Front Lower (inner) suspension arm rubber bush

Offside Lower front balljoint

Advisory for Nearside lower balljoint.

OK aftermarket for around £100.00.

But the biggest issue is excessive CO emissions!

Now this could be many things including the aftermrket O2 sensors I fitted,and diagnosis won't be easy unless you have a gas analyser you can't really tell if the problem is sorted.

Moral issue now do I continue hoping to get my outlay back or break for spares?

Took it for MOT and FAILED!

Mostly mechanical

NS Front Lower (inner) suspension arm rubber bush

Offside Lower front balljoint

Advisory for Nearside lower balljoint.

OK aftermarket for around £100.00.

But the biggest issue is excessive CO emissions!

Now this could be many things including the aftermrket O2 sensors I fitted,and diagnosis won't be easy unless you have a gas analyser you can't really tell if the problem is sorted.

Moral issue now do I continue hoping to get my outlay back or break for spares?

The old fashioned fix for that was a damn good thrashing down the bypass. Seriously, a good long motorway run will clean it out somewhat, but no mot... tricky

Yes that's the problem, I had to insure it for today just to be covered taking it to and from he MOT station so that cost me £36.00 plus the MOT £40.00 and of course there is no RFL on it either.

CO at fast idle was 1.1% pass is < 0.30%.

Following the workshop proceedure the O2 sensors checked out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links