Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, bit of a weird one, the radio controls in the front of the car don't work, but the rear ones do. The audio controls on the steering wheel and the tape drive and knobs next to it do nothing (the audio section on the nav screen works and lets me change station and mess with ASL etc), could this be a fuse or something?

NB: The car has been like this since I bought it so it could be something up front is actually disconnected, I didn't care about it originally as I was planning to replace the audio system with a different one for USB/Ipod playback but have since decided I would rather replace the CD changer for a USB/MP3 adapter so I can keep the steering controls (that don't work atm lol)

It sounds localised to the steering wheel controls so no fuses involved there so either a wiring problem, disconnected plug or possibly the slip ring which allows the controls to maintain contact even when the wheel is turmed.

I wouldn't recommend prodding around in there as the SRS airbag is in the same area and you don't want that going off unexpectedly in your face!

A decent autoelectrician should be able to sort it.

Just thought this is not a factory option is it to allow just the rear seat passengers to make adjustments?

It may be worth ring Lexus to check 1st.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, it's not just localized to the steering controls though as the buttons/knobs on the tape deck do nothing, the power/vol knob wouldn't even turn it on/off :( I'm thinking maybe is a loose connector at the back or something /shrug

Hey all, just to add closure to this (and to avoid frustrating those who are brought here by search years from now lol) it was a blown fuse called Radio 1 located in the top left of the passenger footwell fuse box. I guess the steering audio controls are connected directly to the front radio and with that dead neither worked (explaining why the rear radio worked fine).

• 5 months later...

Hi,

When I found your post, I was very excited. I had the exact problems you had with the front radio unit. I replaced the fuse for radio 1. The radio on the front with tape and CD still cannot turn on/off. The rear seat unit can turn stations and volume and mode. Anybody knows what could be the problem? Thanks!

hello

this is a bit spooky

I've just returned from a short drive and have same problem as tony

on/off will not work and I've just replaced 7.5 fuse in passenger footwell - no difference !

oh and its a 2001 LS430

any suggestions please