Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Centre Console?

I would like to replace or attach an automatic centre console to a manual. The automatic ones are slightly higher - making it easier to get your lean on if you know what I mean - and they are cushioned. Pictures attached showing what appears to be an automatic console on a manual because there is a clip on it but nothing for it to clip into.

I am thinking that I can just add to my current low-level centre console.

post-45124-0-30665800-1376342071_thumb.j

post-45124-0-82698400-1376342093_thumb.j

That's not a standard arm rest leon,Looks to be from a different make of car. I know fiat stilo ones can be made to fit as i did it to one of my old cars.

will find a pic of standard one for you in the morning.

I bought a universal centre console box armrest and modified the wood frame and fixed it to lid screw mounts. Alot of trial and error, and its a bit of a bodge tbh but does the job nicely, the extra storage is nice and is very comfy :)

2013-08-13_18-43-16_911_zps996eb840.jpg

Think i would of just got one like in your picture to save the hassle now though, but didnt know about punto one at the time. You can also get universal in this style which i reckon could be bodged by using either the screws under rear ash tray or screws under storage compartment, it wouldnt be a straight fit and you would have to get a bit creative or if your brave screw into the centre tunnel. Im thinking along the lines of screwing a wood block to where available and mount

OEM is about £100 but i have had ppl say its a bit low

That's not a standard arm rest leon,Looks to be from a different make of car. I know fiat stilo ones can be made to fit as i did it to one of my old cars.

will find a pic of standard one for you in the morning.

It would be refering to the Fiat Stilo ( item number 20094225361 on fleabay)... just made a base and it sit perfectly under the compartment base and no extra drill hole need to be made as it just use the origin screw hole.

Thanks everyone.

Ian the standard rest leaves the compartment open for all to see. I like to keep everything out of sight. However, I will look into the Stilo modified suggestion and the Punto as suggested by petay.

There's nothing stopping you making up a kind of collar to 'close' the gap below the arm rest, something I've also looked at doing as I sometimes leave stuff in rather than dumping stuff in the cup holders

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Ian the standard rest leaves the compartment open for all to see. I like to keep everything out of sight. However, I will look into the Stilo modified suggestion and the Punto as suggested by petay.

Hi. Sorry meant Stilo also

I would like to replace or attach an automatic centre console to a manual. The automatic ones are slightly higher - making it easier to get your lean on if you know what I mean - and they are cushioned. Pictures attached showing what appears to be an automatic console on a manual because there is a clip on it but nothing for it to clip into.

No idea what car that armrest came from, but it's not Lexus. Looks like it's bolted to the trans tunnel behind the standard centre console too, so if you take more than two rear passengers at any time, that could be an issue; there's not a lot of room for three in the back as it is!

here's an original

armrest_zps308092f2.jpg

That's mine! :D

Yes, it does ;eave the cubby hole "open", as the standard fitment replaces the existing cubby hole with lid; you remove that compartment, and the armrest fits inside the result hole, with a shroud to make a smaller cubby hole in the remaining space. Very little to see from outside the car, and I wouldn't leave any valuables in the car anyway (if I needed to, it'd be in the glove box, which can be locked, and is more than big enough to take anything you could possibly leave in the centre console cubby hole). Mine just has a lighter, my handsfree headphones, and my house keys live in there when I'm driving.

• Like 1

No idea what car that armrest came from, but it's not Lexus. Looks like it's bolted to the trans tunnel behind the standard centre console too, so if you take more than two rear passengers at any time, that could be an issue; there's not a lot of room for three in the back as it is!

>here's an original

armrest_zps308092f2.jpg

That's mine! :D

Yes, it does ;eave the cubby hole "open", as the standard fitment replaces the existing cubby hole with lid; you remove that compartment, and the armrest fits inside the result hole, with a shroud to make a smaller cubby hole in the remaining space. Very little to see from outside the car, and I wouldn't leave any valuables in the car anyway (if I needed to, it'd be in the glove box, which can be locked, and is more than big enough to take anything you could possibly leave in the centre console cubby hole). Mine just has a lighter, my handsfree headphones, and my house keys live in there when I'm driving.

Thanks. I hear that. :shifty:

In regard to the comments about the OEM armrest being a bit low - I did think when I fitted mine it could do with being about another cm higher, and it is a shame that it doesn't have the ratchet feature the Golf armrests do. However, I don't notice it anymore, and rarely, if ever, do I think it's too low. I think when I first fitted it, I was used to the armrest in my Transit, which is higher in relation to sitting position. Now I've had my OEM one in for a while, it doesn't bother me. I've got used to it's position, and have also noticed, only while thinking about this, that I also use the space on the drivers door (next to the grab handle) to rest my right arm on - whereas when I first got the car a while last August (2012) I used to lean my arm on the top of the door card. For reference, the OEM armrest is about the same height as that, so if you find it too low to lean your right arm on the drivers door armrest, then you might also find it uncomfortable to use an OEM centre armrest.

All that said, I'm perfectly happy with mine, and it makes ALL the difference having one - even in a manual! Plus, I'm 6'1/6'2, so taller than many, so I'm sure it'll be fine for the majority.