Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Dvr Sytems. (Car Cams)

zippyone

Hi everyone,

I've had a few close calls this year, haven't we all?

A boat became detached from its towing car about 75yds ahead of me, also badly secured items falling from cars and builders wagons. A car 3 in front of me, ran over a bicycle which had fallen from a car, all on the motorway, plus the usual cut ups with inches to spare.

I have a Russian friend who told me that in Russia many cars are fitted with cameras, to record the journey for insurance purposes: remember the meteor in Russia last year? some little Martian is no doubt caughing up right now, caught on camera.

I have looked at many car cams, there is so much choice, in both type and price. I am at a loss, what are your thoughts on car cams?

1) what are your experiences with car cams?

2) Are they worth investing in, or a waste of time?

3) Will having one/two fitted affect my insurance?

4) Are they easy to install, with non or few wires hanging about?

5) Best place on screens to fit them.

6) Is there a model that you would/wouldn't recommend?

I would be grateful to hear your views on the subject, thanks.

Michael.

Have been using one for over two years now - was worried about crash for cash scams, etc...

Tried quite a few, before settling on BlackVue DR400G HD (now in v.2) - http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/BlackVue_DR400G_HD_v2.php

Really pleased with the whole system, video and hardware quality, hard-wired kit, etc, etc.

Also, the subject was briefly discussed not long ago here: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/82542-dash-cams/

I'd be happy to go into more details if need be :whistling:

Just re-read your original message (should've done that to begin with LOL), and thought I better answer your questions:

As above

I think it is well worth it, hopefully I shall never need it as a source of evidence, but it is better to be prepared.

I didn't get any direct discounts, but then I didn't ask, to be honest.

Very easy - no wires hanging about the dash (I can't stand that); the hard-wired kit is fused, and of very high quality. The BlackVue camera, unlike most others, that come with inline power supply (a little box which is a nightmare to hide), has the power converter inside the camera, so nothing but wire to deal with. There's only about 2" of wire visible coming from the top of windscreen and into the cam - that's it.

Actually, to stay legal in the UK at least, the camera cannot be suction-mounted within the wipe area. BlackVue is fixed behind the rear view mirror, so is perfectly legal.

As above

Hope this info is of some use.

Hi everyone,

I've had a few close calls this year, haven't we all?

A boat became detached from its towing car about 75yds ahead of me, also badly secured items falling from cars and builders wagons. A car 3 in front of me, ran over a bicycle which had fallen from a car, all on the motorway, plus the usual cut ups with inches to spare.

I have a Russian friend who told me that in Russia many cars are fitted with cameras, to record the journey for insurance purposes: remember the meteor in Russia last year? some little Martian is no doubt caughing up right now, caught on camera.

I have looked at many car cams, there is so much choice, in both type and price. I am at a loss, what are your thoughts on car cams?

I would be grateful to hear your views on the subject, thanks.

Michael.

Hi,

Just to let you know that an number of our insurance schemes give discounts for certain in-car cameras.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi All, I too have thought about fitting a camera( as mentioned in my introduction message when I joined) as usual I haven't done this so far! an idea that did occur, was to see if the reversing camera could be used for rear end protection(video wise) while not being used for reversing..... any thoughts anyone?

regards

Derek

• 3 months later...

David,

did you fit the cam recorder yourself or was it fitted for you? I'm interested where the cable picks up a supply. I did speak to local(ish) Lexus dealer but they don't fit anything "non standard". Haven't really looked into CT200 fuse situation and position yet, getting past pulling cars apart, especially my CT....

Derek

David,

did you fit the cam recorder yourself or was it fitted for you? I'm interested where the cable picks up a supply. I did speak to local(ish) Lexus dealer but they don't fit anything "non standard". Haven't really looked into CT200 fuse situation and position yet, getting past pulling cars apart, especially my CT....

Derek

Derek,

There really is nothing to fit as such - you just stick the camera mount bracket to the windscreen near the rear view mirror and plug the power supply in your 12v socket (make sure it's the one that's live on ignition, not always) .

The cable is very long, so easy to hide all the way from lighter socket to the a-pillar, then up and to the centre of the windscreen. I actually take a spare mount and power lead with me on long overseas trips and use the cam in hired cars - it's that simple (all you need is a new sticky pad).

If you want to go for a hard-wired setup (and you really don't have to), then get your feed from the same 'live on ignition' socket - there's only the lead and fuse to hide, no separate PSU/converter.

When mounting the holder, it's a good idea to hook the cam to any RCA video-in capable display, just to make sure it's the best position for the camera - the sticky pad is basically a single use and very strong bond - you'd need a new one should you decide to change the position of your dashcam.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all your interest and replies,...

DVR's seem to be a little bit of a minefield, I think that there are good and bad at the top and bottom end of the market. I have plumped for a Black Vue DR550GW HD-2ch after looking at reviews and U-Tube. Will get an auto electrician to fit it for me as I am past playing with cars. Yes, cost a lot, but so did the car.

If any of you have any suggestions on setting it up, or just to call me a silly boy, they will be welcome.

Oh! I include two pics. of my first bump in 50yrs, (16/12/13) minor damage but around €3.5k to repair, the other party paid.

Michael.

post-47562-0-31778300-1395145844_thumb.j

post-47562-0-61713700-1395145855_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links