Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220D Slippy Rear End In Wet Weather

Hi Everyone

Just bought a 2006 iS220D which I really like, that is until today when I drove in extreme wet weather conditions over my normal commuting route to a friends house, but when it came to cornering round two fairly easy bends, both at approx 30mph, the rear end starting sliding, thankfully the Traction Control kicked in and bleeped, after the second bend I slowed to a crawl going round bends! My first reaction being logically it is a tyre problem, treads were good on all 4 tyres, but they are budget tyres, Googled the problem and lots of advice to buy good quality tyres to overcome this wet weather slipping issue.

Having read dozens of tyre reviews, I am more confused than ever, can anybody share their experience, my faith in the car was shaken today, but I am prepared to buy good quality tyres in the hope it will resolve this worrying safety issue.

Many thanks in advance of your response

Hi, yes this is the first time I have bought a rear wheel drive car since front wheel drive cars came about

It seems with tyres that so much comes down to personal choice, my priority is to have tyres that give the best possible grip in the wet, then followed by a comfortable ride and not too noisy!

I can't really comment on which brand of tyre you should buy as I have only just taken off the tyres that were fitted at the factory (Michelin Pilots) the originals were very hard wearing but hard wearing usually equates to being a little more slippery in cold wet conditions but I have not hat an issue with the handling..... Chances are your issue is that you are still driving your car like a front wheel drive where you could apply loads of power whilst actually in the bend....IE slow into the bend and apply the power in the bend......Do this in your car and the rear end will break away.... With your car you can go into the bend quickly but don't apply too much power until the car is in a straight line.....

The best thing to maintain traction through a bend is to have the car properly balanced and travelling at the right speed.

Approach the bend with your foot off the gas travelling in a gear that gives a bit of engine braking or retardation, this is known as a flexible gear.

Look at the point where the left and right verges meet. Keep your eye on the point, as you approach the bend adjust your speed to the point where it will start to move away from you. If it doesn't then you are too fast for the bend, you'll most likely need to brake. When it is moving away from you at the same speed you are approaching it then you have your speed matched perfectly for the bend.

As you enter the bend your aim is to maintain the same speed to maintain stability and balance the car. To do this what you need to do is press the accelerator GENTLY to overcome the loss in speed caused by the cornering forces as you turn the steering wheel. As the steering wheel turns then so your foot should gently squeeze the accelerator. I say again, you only need to press the throttle as much as to maintain - not increase - the speed you entered the bend. A glance at your speedometer will let you know if you are doing it right or not.

If you do this your car will be balanced and stable through the bends and you will really feel the difference. As the corner straightens then you can increase the acceleration. You'll be surprised how smooth and progressive it makes your driving!

I hope I explained this well but if not do a search on Limit Point Analysis.

• Like 1

Hi Lance

Many thanks for your informative comments, after driving FWD cars for so many years, RWD is most certainly a different technique, I will be changing the current budget tyres for quality brand to overcome the wet weather lack of grip, but your comments make sense which I will put into practise.

In the same area of steering control, I am learning to adjust to the completely different feel due to the electric power steering, my first reaction being that it doesnt have such progressive feel compared to hydraulic power steering, on rough roads it can make the steering feel twitchy?

Once again, thank you for your response.

Kind regards

Danny

Hey chaps!

I have triangle tyres on the back of my 08 220D - It is awful in the rain. It can be really scary when accelerating on country roads ( the traction control kicks in when i am accelerating down a straight road in the rain). I looked up the tyres on blackcircles and the reviews were shocking. Some guy had even crashed. I am waiting for october/november to come by and then i will put some softer, better tyres on. If anybody out there has a specific tyre to recommend that would be great.

i have sticky rubber on mine great in the dry just dont have any feel from the arse end of the car in the wet.

my r33 was well over the 400 gee gees mark and that thing you use to know what was going on what ever the weather.

I spoke with blackcircles who were most helpful and agreed with my choice of selected Goodyears, they often recommend them for good wet weather grip, comfortable ride and being quiet, as mentioned previously, will post my assessment once I have used them, I also drive quite regular across country and going round a bend at under 30mph and the rear end lets go, was very concerning, be glad to get rid of the budget tyres current on the car. sadly if the quality tyres dont resolve the issue, my ownership of the iS220D will be short lived.

I have an affinity to Lexus, for many years I was running a Lexus franchise in London and loved the product range, this was pre iS launch.

Hi Kevin

The logical difference being that your R33 was either front wheel drive or four wheel drive, having said that, I have never heard so much chritisism of a quality rear wheel drive car before!

Danny

It is the same when drivers who have grown up on front wheel drive cars move to BMW or mercedes. I grew up on Dolomite Sprints Rover SD1's, Capris, Cortina V6's and a freaky weird Moggy Minor V8......The IS is a very very stable vehicle and doesn't kick out unless I want it to

Hi Everyone

had new tyres fitted via Blackcircles on Wednesday, what a difference, fitted Goodyear Efficency Performance, "A" rating for wet grip, "B" rated for dry grip and "69dbs" for sound, the norm appeared to be about 72dbs. The handling, comfort and noise levels are dramatically improved from my half worn budget tyres, that I inherited with the car. Drove in the wet yesterday, felt assured, but I was only predominately on main roads which were straight, the real tester will be cross country roads in the wet! But so far so good.

Blackcircles were very good for advice, price, delivery and the local agent who fitted them was excellent, highly recommend Blackcircles.

will report again, once I have tested in real wet conditions on country roads with lots of bends!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links