Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a RX300 2005 SEL. I have been looking at ways to connect my ipod to my stereo. I have used the FM transmitter and don't like it.

I have seen stuff from Grom audio and Vais Technology which can connect my ipod via CD changer but I won't be able to have full ipod control on my stereo.

I have been to an audio shop as I am thinking of installing a new head unit which has ipod connection already and with full ipod controls. The guy at the shop said that if I take out the original stereo then my sat nav and Bluetooth phone connections won't work.

He explained that the sat nav is connected to the original head unit for audio as is the Bluetooth for the telephone and can not be connected to a different head unit.

He said that he tried it on a Lexus IS and the sat nav stopped working too.

Has anyone changed their head unit or know of anyone who has???

Many thanks

On the 2003-2005 models there is little integration between the NAV/LCD and the stereo. Most of the connectivity is to the amp, so if you keep that and use pre-outs on the new head unit you would still retain the drivers speaking being used for Nav voice. The mute wire should also still work so you would get handsfree phone. There may still be some communication to the headunit which could cause problems - I'm not aware of anybody trying this. Not sure if there would be a way to retain the steering wheel controls for audio.

The biggest obstacle for me would be trying to get something that would look good - the standard stereo is not exactly a standard shape.

I would recommend you search over on the US version of LOC and also Club Lexus. Many more RXs sold in the US so more chance of finding somebody who has successfully performed a headunit swap.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a RX300 2005 SEL. I have been looking at ways to connect my ipod to my stereo. I have used the FM transmitter and don't like it.

I have seen stuff from Grom audio and Vais Technology which can connect my ipod via CD changer but I won't be able to have full ipod control on my stereo.

I have been to an audio shop as I am thinking of installing a new head unit which has ipod connection already and with full ipod controls. The guy at the shop said that if I take out the original stereo then my sat nav and bluetooth phone connections won't work.

He explained that the sat nav is connected to the original head unit for audio as is the bluetooth for the telephone and can not be connected to a different head unit.

He said that he tried it on a Lexus IS and the sat nav stopped working too.

Has anyone changed their head unit or know of anyone who has???

Many thanks

Hi Khaleed

I have installed this grom audio kit in my rx400h few weeks back and i should say that i am pretty impressed with the way it works. It has iphone/USB/Android connectivity and as well as audio streaming over Bluetooth (A2DP) and it works like a charm.

So, have decided to keep my existing 6-cd changer as i won't be needing to change it anymore :hocus-pokus:

Regards

Srini

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links