Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In-Car Cameras For Accident Protection

Evening all. I'm afraid in this day and age I'm now of a view that I need to get an in-car camera to protect me from scurrilous insurance claims.

Has anyone got one of these yet and more importantly how easy was it to install? I really need something that you clip to the windscreen, plug in to the cigareet lighter and off you go!

Happy to spend up to £250, I've looked at a couple but any users opinions much appreciated!

Thanks

It's just been discussed here: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83668-car-dvr-sytems-car-cams/

While the Iphone with an app might be perfectly adequate, I personally prefer a more 'permanent' solution: a hard-wired, legally mounted camera, with recognised GPS accuracy and a high quality video output.

Thanks, I'm the least mechanical person you could ever imagine so when things are said to be "hard wired" I take it that this means that the camera is permanently wired into the car electrics? What I am looking for is one that I can attach to the windscreen, plug it in the lighter socket and off I go! I am looking at is the New BlackVue DR500GW HD (With GPS and Wi-Fi). It says it has a 12/24 volt cable, I'm hoping this means I can plug and go?

Cheers

Yes, I've opted for a permanently wired one (power on ignition) because I don't like wires hanging around the dashboard, there is also an option to have it on even when ignition is off (with power management unit to prevent car Battery going flat) - it's motion-activated, when in parking mode.

You can, of course, just plug it into lighter socket, but it's very easy to fit the hard-wired option. The 12/24v just means it works with both types of vehicles (cars and HGV/caravans, etc).

The BlackVue DR500GW is an excellent choice, I have DR400G v.II (no WiFi) and v.I before that, and they are great.

Just be aware that, strictly speaking, it's illegal to attach [suction-mounted] devices to wipe area, it'll fail you your MOT, and, most importantly, this might defeat the purpose of having a camera to support one's insurance position, as having a device on suction-mount in wipe area is "dangerous driving" - see here: http://suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/ BlackVue fits behind the rear view mirror, so is perfectly legal.

Thanks David RX450

Did you wire it in yourself? I plan to change my car in the next year so can you un-wire it to take to the new vehicle? If not then I would put up with the wires I think, I'm sure they can be tidied up anyway.

Cheers

Yes, I did - it was really easy, and I'm sure it'll be no problem to remove it to re-install in another car.

On the other hand, the lighter socket lead, that comes with the standard kit, is very long, so shouldn't be a problem to hide it by going half way round the dash and up the a-pillar to the rear view mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it will be Tom :)

The initial setup could be a bit complicated, as you need to run software first to input your preferred settings onto the card (e.g. voice over OFF, miles, UK time zone, etc), and then transfer these to the camera, but after that everything, including the electrical part, is very easy.

Please let us know how you get on ...

Obviously, there is the fundamental flaw in that it only helps for front-facing accidents - no use if you're hit from behind or the side.

Also, there is the issue that it may work against you - a friend has a helmet-cam on his motorbike and he was first on scene at a road accident (nothing to do with him). The police noticed his camera and asked to look at it to help them. It was returned to him a few days later, with a comment that he needed to control his own speed - they had watched the footage for 5 mins before he arrived at the scene, when he was..ahem.. making progress.

However, it seems to be a generally good idea - must look into it...and all gadgets are good things :shifty:

Obviously, there is the fundamental flaw in that it only helps for front-facing accidents - no use if you're hit from behind or the side.

You're quite right, but it is still better than nothing :winky: ... plus, as far as I can see from TV reports, etc, most crash-for-cash scams take place in front of you. Nevertheless, I have actually been thinking about either fitting a second, rear-facing camera, or getting the feed off the parking camera recorded (probably easier to just fit a second dashcam). Of course, it would be much better to use the same high end type of camera, as they will essentially be synchronised (BlackVue gets its time/date from GPS), which is very important in case of an insurance dispute, etc.

As to the cam holding records of an occasional autobahn-speed driving :whistling: - I make a point of moving files from my BlackVue card onto a backup disc regularly, so that at any given moment it is only very recent data on it. Not that I have ever exceeded a prescribed speed limit on a motorway ... :msn-oh: :eerrrmm: :shutit:

• Like 1

Thanks to all again, I'm definitely for any sort of back up so I will feela lot happier once it's up and running! Below is a very interesting bit on the model I've gone for, the chap's a bit OTT but it really helps you!

hi All,

I've been spending weeks trying to go through the many reviews and stuff.

Anyway after doing some digging and you are looking at spending around the £250 mark there is a new product on the market from Cammsys.

BlackSys CF100-2 got most of details from dascamtalk (CF 100 is front only)

i myself want both front and rear. i was looking at buying two individual units at around £100 ish each but having dual channel looks good.

£250+ outlay for front only i don't think is justifiable for blackvue 500/ roadhawk HD single front unit.

there is one uk supplier im trying to get info and stock. looks good and the video clips are not bad.

I'm being realistic £250 all in sounds better than a single unit

will try and get more details when i get time.

just want to add to the post. thanks

.......Just be aware that, strictly speaking, it's illegal to attach [suction-mounted] devices to wipe area......

So, in that case....99.9999% of every TomTom user is breaking the law? Some of the places that idiots put their GPS units is laughable. Many of them could be called a 'Heads Up display' since they are directly in their line of sight out the windscreen!

However, not to go off topic here we are talking about cameras. Since the enforcement of people chatting on mobile phones whilst driving is non existant and also not complying with having a hands free unit fitted (no, talking on your speaker phone on your mobile DOES NOT constitute Hands free) I wouldn't worry!

• Like 1

.......Just be aware that, strictly speaking, it's illegal to attach [suction-mounted] devices to wipe area......

So, in that case....99.9999% of every TomTom user is breaking the law? Some of the places that idiots put their GPS units is laughable. Many of them could be called a 'Heads Up display' since they are directly in their line of sight out the windscreen!

However, not to go off topic here we are talking about cameras. Since the enforcement of people chatting on mobile phones whilst driving is non existant and also not complying with having a hands free unit fitted (no, talking on your speaker phone on your mobile DOES NOT constitute Hands free) I wouldn't worry!

i know what you mean.

i double checked with the road traffic act diagram. and your right i have seen some silly places. one of the reasons i like my integrated sat nav

There are plenty of Police cars with goodness knows what stuck to the windscreen with suckers, just thought perhaps they are looking for suckers. Mike

I must admit I am very tempted with this option. Mike.

I must admit I am very tempted with this option. Mike.

are they all the same? what i mean is i saw this one on amazon Prestigio Road Runner HD1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006257O7Y/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

looked into trying to get the blacksys but the person i spoke to was a bit of a muppet and so really put me off.

now looking at getting one for around the £50 mark.

the reason i mention the prestigio as there has been some good reviews on the net

All I can say is that you get what you pay for, there's not much point in buying something that isn't actually goingto be able to show number plates etc! I've done a lot of research and I think you would be wasting your money on a really cheap camera. Just my opinion but each to their own! Cheers