Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Insurance With Telematics Device?

The-Acre

Anyone had one of these fitted. My insurance is up for renewal, and one company through Confused.com is offering the best price if I have this device fitted. I thought it was for high risk drivers, not a 61 year old who's never made a claim.

Reading the info on it, it detects stuff like acceleration speed etc..hmm. not much point having a V8 if I can't have fun!

Not sure it's worth it to save £30 as my premium from direct line is only £261 fully comp.

Phil

Does it cost you anything to have this device fitted?

What would concern me is a possible unknown company messing about with my wiring loom to install the thing, plus how long does the job take and if you have to travel 50 miles to have it fitted there's your £30.00 saving more than spent.

It can be useful for young drivers where the difference between quotes for these and other normal insurance policies is usually significant. (> £1000 at-least).

It can be cost effective but can back fire too. Imagine doing 50 in a 40 (which most people do anyway). If there's an accident the insurance company will have this information and may refuse to pay out arguing you were driving carelessly.

I personally don't like the idea of giving your insurance company more information than they need.

Does it cost you anything to have this device fitted?

What would concern me is a possible unknown company messing about with my wiring loom to install the thing, plus how long does the job take and if you have to travel 50 miles to have it fitted there's your £30.00 saving more than spent.

Apparently they fit it for free, and it takes about an hour, no mention of where you go, or if they come to you.

And I agree with the post above, it could so easily work against you. They say one other advantage is that it also works as a tracking device if your car is stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

My son had one through Co-OP Young Driver insurance in his first car (a 2004 Group 1 C2 ) . Even with the box the premium was £2200 . Basically the policy was "reviewed" every 3 months and a new policy issued based on the driving results (harsh braking/accelerating, night time use etc ) .

First 3 months the review gave an overall rating of "Good" and we got back £159 rebate . Second 3 months nothing as the overall rating stayed the same - that said if the rating had sropped they can ask for additional premium based on certain percentages.

In essence it was OK for a first car for young driver but i wouldn't touch a policy with one myself and soon as my son had his first years no claims he ditched the policy as quick as poss.

I do not like the idea of giving any body information that they use either for you or against you. This is purely a spy in your car and we give enough information away as it is. Mike

• Like 1