Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300H At 1000 Miles

Approaching 1000 miles in the third generation IS. A few random ramblings...

The ride gets better (or at least you soon get used to it). Having said initially that it was markedly harder than my previous Volvo in comfort, I really don't notice that now. I was also already willing to accept that for the driving experience.

I haven't yet got tired of the excellent driving experience. In particular, I still love trying the car on new roads. I genuinely look forward to driving it every time. (As you can tell, I've had it a month so I don't do that many miles.)

The car wins universal and genuine approval. Men love the macho looks in particular; women love the interior.

Most of the features are exceptional (I have a Lux with leather and nav). The HD DVD is superb and I have put documentaries in to watch 5-10 minutes at a time when I'm waiting; the sat-nav is generally very good (although it could do with specific lane guidance); the range of music options (CD, USB, Iphone by connection, Iphone by Bluetooth plus DAB) are good, and the Dolby is ok (though Levinson would no doubt be markedly better).

The hybrid really isn't a problem at all. If you want to use it properly, stick it in Eco if you want EV mode for a period (say in traffic or in a residential area) and normal otherwise, and you still have plenty of oomph (in fact, almost too much - you're at 70 before you know it); if you want a sports car, use sports mode and the shifters (but be prepared to pay for it at the pumps). Sometimes, honestly, I find I'm just in the mood for one or the other! I remain mystified by the "annoying drone" or "whine" reports - there just isn't one, there is a brief (albeit initially odd) roar as you move up to 70mph, but it is brief because you get there so quickly! Otherwise, the car is disarmingly quiet at all times.

For reference, I have put 100 quid of fuel in and still have over half a tank.

The car was also walloped by a football but was left unmarked.

One significant advantage I only noticed yesterday: the "volume" on the audio system is set individually for each type (i.e. for USB, DVD, DAB or whatever). This is great because it means no more blowing your ear off when you switch from one to the other! If it so happens your phone's Bluetooth connection isn't great, you can move the volume specifically for Bluetooth up; if it so happens your FM reception is very good, you can nudge it down. Great!

A few ever so minor niggles:

- water and dirt accumulate more easily than on any other car I know, due to the design (most particularly there is metal further down the front, and there is a significant amount of metal/paint in the underhang under the rear numberplate), so you do have to take time daily to clean it;

- the direct moulding of the top of the car to the side, which the salesmen like to go on about, is great stylistically but it means there is nothing to stop water just dripping off; and

- the Bluetooth connection does cut off a lot, almost regardless of what you do, and the speaker reception (which is actually above you) isn't great for phone calls (i.e. people on the other end of the call sometimes complain that I seem distant).

The good thing for those to come is that most of these niggles can easily be ironed out - they just come with the territory in the first model year. What we have already is a genuinely fantastic car; what will come in future years will be truly outstanding!

I'd still love to get hold of the Lexus UK PR contract, though. Their web site is still full of flawed information and they really do need to get to know UK and Irish car journalists better - this makes it exceptionally difficult to persuade people to take a risk, even though I genuinely can't see a car among the competition which is even remotely close (taken overall).

• Like 2

The ride gets better (or at least you soon get used to it). Having said initially that it was markedly harder than my previous Volvo in comfort, I really don't notice that now. I was also already willing to accept that for the driving experience.

I haven't yet got tired of the excellent driving experience. In particular, I still love trying the car on new roads. I genuinely look forward to driving it every time. (As you can tell, I've had it a month so I don't do that many miles.)

The car wins universal and genuine approval. Men love the macho looks in particular; women love the interior.

Most of the features are exceptional (I have a Lux with leather and nav). The HD DVD is superb and I have put documentaries in to watch 5-10 minutes at a time when I'm waiting; the sat-nav is generally very good (although it could do with specific lane guidance); the range of music options (CD, USB, iPhone by connection, iPhone by bluetooth plus DAB) are good, and the Dolby is ok (though Levinson would no doubt be markedly better).

The hybrid really isn't a problem at all. If you want to use it properly, stick it in Eco if you want EV mode for a period (say in traffic or in a residential area) and normal otherwise, and you still have plenty of oomph (in fact, almost too much - you're at 70 before you know it); if you want a sports car, use sports mode and the shifters (but be prepared to pay for it at the pumps). Sometimes, honestly, I find I'm just in the mood for one or the other! I remain mystified by the "annoying drone" or "whine" reports - there just isn't one, there is a brief (albeit initially odd) roar as you move up to 70mph, but it is brief because you get there so quickly! Otherwise, the car is disarmingly quiet at all times.

One significant advantage I only noticed yesterday: the "volume" on the audio system is set individually for each type (i.e. for USB, DVD, DAB or whatever). This is great because it means no more blowing your ear off when you switch from one to the other! If it so happens your phone's bluetooth connection isn't great, you can move the volume specifically for bluetooth up; if it so happens your FM reception is very good, you can nudge it down. Great!

- water and dirt accumulate more easily than on any other car I know, due to the design (most particularly there is metal further down the front, and there is a significant amount of metal/paint in the underhang under the rear numberplate), so you do have to take time daily to clean it;

- the direct moulding of the top of the car to the side, which the salesmen like to go on about, is great stylistically but it means there is nothing to stop water just dripping off; and

- the bluetooth connection does cut off a lot, almost regardless of what you do, and the speaker reception (which is actually above you) isn't great for phone calls (i.e. people on the other end of the call sometimes complain that I seem distant).

The good thing for those to come is that most of these niggles can easily be ironed out - they just come with the territory in the first model year. What we have already is a genuinely fantastic car; what will come in future years will be truly outstanding!

I'd still love to get hold of the Lexus UK PR contract, though. Their web site is still full of flawed information and they really do need to get to know UK and Irish car journalists better - this makes it exceptionally difficult to persuade people to take a risk, even though I genuinely can't see a car among the competition which is even remotely close (taken overall).

Great to read your musings Ian, I pick my F Sport (Leather & Nav) up on Sunday morning and am wishing the hours away! It will be interesting to see the differences as I've had my IS250 for 5 years. Keep the feedback coming!

Ian,

The Roof is set below the ABC posts with a gully running its entire length so I cannot see why you believe this holds more rain water.

My Boot Lock Panel is not dirty after 3 weeks,400 miles & 2 rain showers.

Iphone connectivity excels & my only frustration is that I can sometimes dial a Contact in 2 steps & regularly in 3 steps as I am presented with a list of Contact Options eg. Ian,Ian @ Work etc.It is abundantly clear our diction has to close match M's where as iphone's Siri is more tolerant but then he is a "man"!

Tel

Ian,

The Roof is set below the ABC posts with a gully running its entire length so I cannot see why you believe this holds more rain water.

iPhone connectivity excels & my only frustration is that I can sometimes dial a Contact in 2 steps & regularly in 3 steps as I am presented with a list of Contact Options eg. Ian,Ian @ Work etc.It is abundantly clear our diction has to close match M's where as iphone's Siri is more tolerant but then he is a "man"!

Tel

Ian,

iPhone connectivity excels & my only frustration is that I can sometimes dial a Contact in 2 steps & regularly in 3 steps as I am presented with a list of Contact Options eg. Ian,Ian @ Work etc.It is abundantly clear our diction has to close match M's where as iphone's Siri is more tolerant but then he is a "man"!

Tel

Tel - does the Bluetooth function read out text messages - I have that on a CT200 courtesy car at the moment and I think it is a nice touch. I'm assuming that if it is on the CT it definitely will be on the IS too?

Most of the features are exceptional (I have a Lux with leather and nav). The HD DVD is superb and I have put documentaries in to watch 5-10 minutes at a time when I'm waiting; the sat-nav is generally very good (although it could do with specific lane guidance); the range of music options (CD, USB, iPhone by connection, iPhone by bluetooth plus DAB) are good, and the Dolby is ok (though Levinson would no doubt be markedly better).

One significant advantage I only noticed yesterday: the "volume" on the audio system is set individually for each type (i.e. for USB, DVD, DAB or whatever). This is great because it means no more blowing your ear off when you switch from one to the other! If it so happens your phone's bluetooth connection isn't great, you can move the volume specifically for bluetooth up; if it so happens your FM reception is very good, you can nudge it down. Great!

- the bluetooth connection does cut off a lot, almost regardless of what you do, and the speaker reception (which is actually above you) isn't great for phone calls (i.e. people on the other end of the call sometimes complain that I seem distant).

Cracking report Ian - makes me look forward to Sunday too - I think quite a few of us will be picking up our new motors then - the so called "drone" was a big worry for me so you have put my mind further to rest . Thanks,

• Like 1

Ian,

Tel

Tel,

Did you Iphone contacts upload automatically? When I bought my IS250 a few years ago the system didn't allow for Iphone uploading, it had to be done manually or by using another phone. I right in the neck it was. Would be good to know they've updated things.

The voice recognition is tough. I've never really mastered it, I'll try again though. Only 2 more sleeps....

Ian, many thanks for the update. Really great to get feedback from owners. Also the video reviews linked in this post are pleasingly positive: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-third-generation/707434-motortrend-is350-fsport-1st-test.html

I've been reading about the Toyota & Lexus hybrid technology (e.g. http://www.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car6.htm) and I'm getting more and more convinced that hybrid drive and the CVT gearbox is a significant step forward and probably the best comprise until something like hydrogen fuels cells become a viable alternative.

David (Cumbria),

I don't see any mention of it in either the car manual or the navigation one, but I honestly may just have missed it. Do check with your sales team.

David (Durham),

Unless the F-sport is radically different, which I doubt, there really is just no sound at all except for the brief period of revving up to, say, 70mph (which is not a drone, just a constant rev - and is thus unusual, but not annoying). I note the most recent Car Enthusiast review (http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews/article/8654/-/2013-Lexus-IS/Road+test+-+IS+300h+Luxury.html) doesn't reference it.

For reference, I have turned the synthetic noise off now, always. I'm beginning to stick to my original thought that I'd never use it! But it's a bit of fun at the start.

By the way, yes, the car does read out and display messages, but only on certain phones (not my iPhone). I honestly don't care, personally, but it does mean that whatever you're used to on the CT will transfer to the IS I'm sure.

David (Surrey),

Iphone contacts do update and connect automatically, yes.

The guides do warn you not to leave the Iphone blocked off (like, in the centre console or glove compartment) if you wish to use it, and that advice is worth taking. But I have to say, even leaving the phone out in the centre of the car (say, in a cup holder), Bluetooth playback can be stopped (and you then have a bit of a rigmarole to re-start it). To be honest, I don't mind because I've taken to plugging the phone in via cable so that I can use the better quality audio and full functionality easily anyway.

Terry,

I've been caught by water off the roof a couple of times - I'm well able for it now though!

The HDD in the GS cannot hold music.....so I bet the one in the IS can't either! Bit of a shame really....also, how much of a pain is the dynamic route guidance? Does it ask to reroute every minute? The 4GS one is a real pain.

Also, it hasn't really moved on from the 2nd Gen IS I had - it looks and sounds the same!! You do get some 3d buildings, but just grey boxes. Is the IS any better??

Just a few thoughts for those of you picking up over the weekend, or soon.

You'll want a USB memory stick which is short, to fit in the centre console. If it's too long, you can't close the console (and if you can't close it, it has to remain fully open). The memory stick serves two purposes - first, you can put music on it; second, you can save your trips from computer on to it (this is more reliable that "send to car", which can be hit-and-miss); both are automatically picked up. You may also store images on the USB (which should be stored in a folder named "Image"), which can be used as background display on the screen if you wish (not something which interests me).

(Personally, I have my USB memory stick on my keys, which means the lot go in the centre console while I'm driving if I want access to the stick - solves that storage problem!)

You'll want to think about a phone holder. I tend simply to leave mine in my pocket (but this can make Bluetooth a bit hit-and-miss) or, more usually, in a cup holder. I don't want to wreck the beautiful interior with a holder. But it's worth considering.

(One really clever detail here I didn't mention: there is a clear route out of the console, including a wire holder, for a USB cable, meaning you can plug your phone into the USB inside the console, close the console, and still have your phone outside the console while on charge and fully connected - in fact, I sometimes even connect an iPad which I leave in the glove compartment, and play music off it, with the wire not in anybody's way because it routes round perfectly.)

You'll want to think about a bin. One thing the car lacks is seat front pockets (into which I used to throw receipts and whatever in my Volvo). I have a black "Henry" bin in the back, with its handle looped around the centre console.

The glove compartment is two levels - the main book (with the service history) and manual really have to go in the top, the navigation guide goes in the bottom in my case, but there's still plenty of room. On top of that, I could comfortably fit three or four DVD cases if I wished; and, like I say, you can get a tablet (even full iPad size) in there too, with room to spare. There's a gap to the right for other things too.

If you're in Northern Ireland or Wales where there are bag charges, plastic bags can easily go under the boot - the boot above the Battery does lift, and there are gaps for thin bags, wheel nuts and all that. I have a first-aid kit to the side of the boot itself, in one of the cubby holes. Think about the cargo net accessory; it's expensive but may be worthwhile, particularly if it is to be a main family car for shopping and such like. (Mine isn't the main family car and I personally always have a bag with work stuff in it in the boot, so don't find I need it - the odd pint of milk or whatever can go in the bag.)

If you're new to Lexus, right at the start just beware of the footbrake. I now find it really good, but because it is where the clutch is on my wife's car, it can be a bit confusing right at the start. It sounds nuts, but on this point, if you are new to hybrid, when you start the car there is no ignition (and actually no engine - the issue is not whether the engine is on or off, but rather the system is on or off, and that's sometimes hard to tell!)... so for the first few trips, have a think each time about whether you have it properly turned off with the footbrake applied. I can admit here that, near the start, I missed an entire light cycle failing to turn the car on (because I kept moving out of 'P' too soon)! It's second nature to me now, I daresay.

Finally, the really fun bit, consider whether you really need the features run down from the salesman! The chances are, if you've followed it on here, there's not much you'll learn from it - just tell him you don't really need it. At that stage, you'll just want to drive the thing!

Oh, yeah, and pictures on here as a matter of urgency, thanks...!

Jonas,

The answer to your second question, I think (without knowing any GS), is no, unfortunately - you do just get the map and then the odd 3D building. I don't really mind it, personally.

The answer to your first question is more positive, I think, and I should probably have added it above. I find the Lexus sat-nav the most intuitive (essentially, user-friendly) I've come across. This is particularly so in terms of changing or amending routes, which I find really straightforward. Now, I don't know the GS as I say, but I have amended the "ask" settings - I can't really remember how, but all I can say is it doesn't annoy me!

By the way, I don't (well, er, let me re-phrase, my wife doesn't) like cars interrupting me (her!) so I have the voices turned off at all times - but I do know that the voice instructions are exceptionally clear and detailed.

Strange as I leave my Iphone 5 in my jacket hanging above the rear drivers door sometimes & connectivity is fine.Initial set-up was rapid.

I have ordered the rubberised lidded cups for the cupholders to further improve passenger comfort.

I would advise against using the space under the Battery Cover as air flow from the heat generated must not be restricted.

Tel

Ian,

There are Ash Tray/Cups that fit into the "Holes"--------they are on the European Lexus Site. They come with a rubber base to maintain silence,can only be supplied as a pair & cost c. £60.

Tel.

Ian,

There are Ash Tray/Cups that fit into the "Holes"--------they are on the European Lexus Site. They come with a rubber base to maintain silence,can only be supplied as a pair & cost c. £60.

Tel.

Thanks Tel. Off to Lexus now to get my F Sport. Christmas has come early!!

Update on Cups for the Cup Holders-------They are not available in the UK yet!

The Hooks for the Vertical Cargo net that are said to be in the boot per the GS do not exist & cannot be bought separately so my Series 2 Net cannot be used yet as Double-sided Tape & Velcro have failed me so far-------GS hooks are pushed into a square hole not round like ours.

Drive in D with the Mpg Screed displayed & it defaults to a duplicate Sat Nav Screen----why I wonder?

Tel

The Hooks for the Vertical Cargo net that are said to be in the boot per the GS do not exist & cannot be bought separately so my Series 2 Net cannot be used yet as Double-sided Tape & Velcro have failed me so far-------GS hooks are pushed into a square hole not round like ours.

Drive in D with the Mpg Screed displayed & it defaults to a duplicate Sat Nav Screen----why I wonder?

Tel

Re the nav screen, this is not your default home screen by any chance?

David,

Maybe it is but I still question the need as when i am using the Nav my selected Audio Station ,both of which are on My Home Screen,shows across the top of the screen every few minutes.

Trouble is,as I stated in a previous Post.the Technology in our cars matches the Iphone & I do not use 80% of its features!

Have you any idea on how to cancel the List of choices when making Calls?

I can,sometimes, press the Talk Button,say Call David,the name & number show on the screen & I say Dial-----perfect.

However most of the time M Lists all my Davids in my Phone Book & I have to select from the List before the Dial Stage.

To be fair the person I want is always First but this extra step bugs me particularly in City traffic

Tel

What you have to do is press and hold the "book"-like button on the wheel (inside right) while on the screen you want to be default.

Hope that helps.

Ian P.

I have only driven 500 miles but thought I would add few things. I went for adaptive cruise control option which I was a bit cautious to use at first, but it does work far better than I was expecting. I also used the ahb on country roads and was impressed at how well it worked, so can recommend the optional pack.

The sat nav is good, but does sometimes go really slow, and has crashed, which meant I had to re-register my phone. I have found the voice recognition worse than the last IS, with it rarely ever identifying the right command. I wonder if I need to try a different accent? ;)

I also found that operating the washer does not seem to operate the wipers, not sure if anyone else has had this? Overall very happ with the car, and the handling and comfort are much much better than the second generation IS.

I actually have found little difficulty with voice recognition. So a slightly Anglicized Northern Ireland accent is fine!

But yes, I've had the problem that operating the washer doesn't operate the wipers. I guess you just get used to nudging it upwards afterwards.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links