Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I am new to lexus forum.I have had the dash lights repaired and since I have removed the dash and refitted the airbag light is on.It is code 22 and it wont delete with a tool or via touching to earth with 2 wires.The light goes out but comes straight back on so obviously still active.I have checked the plugs and all wires and everything is good can anyone help me please maybe wiring diagram or things to check.

Many Thanks Mark

Cant help with your problem but it wont be long before someone comes along to help, in the meantime welcome to The LOC. We are a friendly bunch and some of us , me not included, have amazing knowledge of the LS400.

Mike

i have tried everything light goes out then straight back on used code reader same again.Checked all connections and still code 22 warning light circuit maybe if had wiring diagram or pin out data might be able to see what is wrong...

As the tutorial on Lexls.com under lighting says this procedure they advise is subject to the continuation until successful as it is time restrained if you do not do the procedure to the nano second it does not work.As you have not reported any issues before you removed the dashboard cluster it illiminates other causes enough to persevere with this method until you get a result,as with all these fixes they don't always succeed first time .

According to the manual code 22 =

1 open circuit in airbag warning system------- [the light will not light if open circuit]

2 centre airbag sensor assembly malfunction ---------- [centre airbag is the steering wheel one]

There are pages of info ,too much to post,

Beware when testing not to trigger anything that sets the airbag off!

the method to extiguish it shown in Lexls does not always work first time,try it a few times to get the sequence correct.

This clears code 41, which is supposed to clear all codes

If it worked OK before check all connections again, airbag wiring is usually yellow

By coincidence exactly the same has happened to my project car, I removed the dash to do the flickering iights problem and the airbag light was illuminated after it was refitted.

I thought it strange at the time as the Battery was disconnected during the operation but put it down to code 41 being present.

Finally getting around to looking at the problem diagnostics produced code 22 which according to the service manual means a defective centre airbag control unit.

I am presently investigating the fault and will come back once I have an answer.

Code 22 with the warning light permanently illuminated in the manual reads as below.

Warning Light Operates

1. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Wait at least 2 seconds. Turn ignition switch to ACC or ON position. Wait at least 20 seconds. Clear codes. See CLEARING CODES under SELF-DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Wait at least 2 seconds. Turn ignition switch to ACC or ON position. Wait at least 20 seconds.

2. Connect jumper wire between terminals Tc and E1 of DLC. See Fig. 13 . If Code 22 is present, replace center air bag sensor. If Code 22 is not present, check for intermittent fault. See AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT INTERMITTENT under DIAGNOSIS & TESTING.

The airbag (SRS) system has 3 power feeds to the airbag sensor unit these are supplied from 3 fused cicuits as follows.

Fuse no.3 ECU-B 15A

Fuse no.5 CIG 15A

Fuse no.15 IGN 10A

These fuses are located on the fuse panel above the driver's kick panel.

Check these fuses as a first course of action.

So are mine.

I have the wiring diagram and will try and find some time to diagnose mine further today, it must be something common as we have both done the same dash job and ended up with the same fault.

I know the wires behind the dash are tight but the AB sensor is not located near the dash as it sits behind the ashtray area of the centre console, there is however the feed from here to the dash warning light but if this had been pulled out the light would not illuminate at all I would have thought.

Well had a good look at the AB controller and is it in a PITA location, basically sitting under the ashtray but surrounded by the rear air vent piping and a lot of metalwork, a major project to actually remove!

Fortunately the wiring plugs are accessible by pulling back the passenger carpet which covers the side of the centre console but after doing this and following the disarming proceedure I have all 3 required supplies present and correct from the 3 fuses previously mentioned.

So it looks like we have both managed to corrupt the unit itself, the diagram does show an internal memory but as disconnecting the Battery doesn't reset it I assume this is non volatile ( remembers even if power is disconnected) and it may require a replacement control unit.

As I am going to have to remove the unit I may have a peek inside to see if there is a back up Battery present.

I'm going to post this problem on a couple of other forums just to see if there is a proceedure to reset but not holding my breath as all the manual says is faulty control unit so I guess they mean if it is faulty replace it.

I've now ordered a replacement AB ECU which should be here on Friday.I will just hook it up as the loom is long enough to do so but if it does cure it actually fitting it in the correct place will take me half a day.

I'm beginning to think this car's been struck by lightening!

• 3 years later...

I just want everyone to know that the reset procedure is effing tricky! I did it 10 times before finally resetting it. I had code 22 as well after taking apart dash.

The only trick that worked for me is, wait about 5 seconds after turning the key to the on position (don't start).

Then, start with the TC wire connected to ground, RIGHT when you connect it to ground, count "one one thousand" then instantly, and I mean INSTANTLY switch the AB wire to ground and disconnect the TC wire... "One one thousand" and switch again, etc.

TC, AB, TC, AB, then Hold TC until airbag light blinks fast.

If the airbag light does not blink fast, you did not reset successfully.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...