Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

These are the ones I have always used and they are meant to be a direct replacement for the original Dunlops that the cars were delivered with. These are made by Dunlops.

I have never changed tyres winter/summer. You get good lifetime out of them and they are quiet. Mike

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b747s424p97846/Falken_Tyres_Car_Falken_ZE912_Ziex_Falken_ZE_912_-_225_60_R16_98W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_G_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB/RS_GB

I used Mikes advice and can say the Falknes reduce tramlining, and on most surfaces are quite, though on really rough surfaces they do seem to show up just about any imperfection.

As for Snow, I am thinking of investing in snow socks, as I do not see the point of expensive snow tyres (which do work well), but only needed about 3 days a year.

I found that my local MOT chap could get them as cheap as on web site, and so driving on a high end tyre for cheap(ish) as chips purchase

I fitted 2 Falken 914's to the rear to replace the 912's that were fitted - I believe this is the new model. I only managed 8572 miles on these rears though - fronts are still fine at nearly 10,000.

I've used Falkens for a while now and find that grip is great, but life isn't.

Pete

I fitted 2 Falken 914's to the rear to replace the 912's that were fitted - I believe this is the new model. I only managed 8572 miles on these rears though - fronts are still fine at nearly 10,000.

I've used Falkens for a while now and find that grip is great, but life isn't.

Pete

I think I might have commented on your mileage figures before so forgive me if I have but if all I can get is 8572 miles out of a tyre then there is something seriously wrong with the car or tyre. I would moan if I couldnt get 35K out of a tyre. Mike

Hi Mike, you've commented on my mileage before - it's totally accurate as I keep a record of such things. The Lexus is the hardest user of tyres (and front discs) of any car I've owned over the last 42 years, but I suppose that's a small price to pay for other good things about it .

Nothing wrong with my car btw, but we'll see how the newer Falkens last.

Pete

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I used Mikes advice and can say the Falknes reduce tramlining, and on most surfaces are quite, though on really rough surfaces they do seem to show up just about any imperfection.

As for Snow, I am thinking of investing in snow socks, as I do not see the point of expensive snow tyres (which do work well), but only needed about 3 days a year.

I found that my local MOT chap could get them as cheap as on web site, and so driving on a high end tyre for cheap(ish) as chips purchase

Have used snowsocks on our fiat punto in 6inches of snow with ice, bad winter 2010 think it was, they did very well, only car that made it to the end of our close, others had to park on the main road and walk, now have a set in the fiat and a set ready for the ls430 next week when the snow hits.

I have also used those falkens bluesman linked to on my old ls400, was impressed with them.

Have used snowsocks on our fiat punto in 6inches of snow with ice, bad winter 2010 think it was, they did very well, only car that made it to the end of our close, others had to park on the main road and walk, now have a set in the fiat and a set ready for the ls430 next week when the snow hits.

I have also used those falkens bluesman linked to on my old ls400, was impressed with them.

Same for me in the snow. Even got into some difficulties but put her into snow mode, gentle on the throttle and out she came. Mike

Hi,

I'm running 235/55 x17's. The 914's seem to be wearing better than the 912's, but time will tell as the previous tyres suddenly started disappearing when you get to half worn. If I get over 10k out the rears I'll be delighted.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I've fitted a set of Uniroyal Rainmasters to my '93 and I'm very happy with them. Good grip, quiet and reasonably priced. The tyres fitted when I bought the car had loads of tread but were old and cracked and needed to go.

There is definitely something peculiar about the DHP wheels and how they eat tyres especially on the front..

My understanding was that the tyre size used out of the factory was a 245 50 17 but I have noticed that these 'rub' a little on the front and wear in next to no time also.

Also noticed that they wear on the inside edge no matter how well the suspension is maintained and the tracking adjusted.

Maybe the 235 55 17 would be the better option for me.

I am a fan of Falkens and use them on my other cars but have stuck to the Bridgestone's thinking they were the tyre selected for the DHP setup but at over £200 a tyre this expense is getting hard to justify with the erratic wear I get on the front. Funnily enough the rears seem to perform well.

I need to get my front suspension drop link bushes replaced which might be part of the cause of my problem but when that's sorted I will be paying a visit to Tony at Wheels in Motion to get the geometry and wheel alignment set properly.

My fronts seem to last ok (15k so far), but as has been said they do wear on inside edge. I swapped mine front to rear yesterday whilst I was renewing the front discs - another excessive wear item on these cars.

I think I'll try different tyres next time - mytyres seem to have some good prices just now.

Pete

• 3 months later...

Just replaced 3 of my old Falkens with new Falkens 225/60/16. £299.23 " all up ". The 4th is only half way thru' it's life right now.

The fronts did 20,500 miles

The rear did 23,350 miles

I'm happy with this longevity.

Malc

The disparity between tyre wear on various combination of wheel sizes and manufacturers is quite interesting.
I have a kit car that runs on 10 inch classic mini steel wheels and there is only two manufactures of this size of tyre.Falken is one and I don't buy the other type anymore as they wear out in no time and I am talking 4k miles on the front (front wheel drive) I get about 6k out of falkens on the front and rears are about 15k.
I have to put tubes in the tyres or they leak air for fun and when the tyes have about 1mm legal left on them I start to get lots of punctures as there is little wearing surface left.
When I had my mark 1 after a year of owner ship one of the salesmen at my Lexus dealership tried to sell me a set of 16 inch wheels off a mark two( mark 1 was 15 inch) that were surplus to the dealership .
My dedicated mechanic (he looked after the car on all occasions in those days)went ballistic and I thought he was going to deck the salesman.
He advised me against such offerings as he believed the teletrimy of the car would be adversly affected.
I stuck with the 15 inch wheels and never ventured outside the original wheels fitted at manufacture on both my Lexus cars.

I've heard that Uniroyal Rainexperts give excellent grip in the wet and give a very smooth ride due to their very flexible sidewalls. The only downside I read of was that they wear a bit quicker than say Bridgestones, Avons, etc. They are reasonably priced though. At present my LS is shod with some cheap Chinese tyres that came with the car. You wouldn't think so, but they are annoyingly hard wearing ; I've done 30,000 miles on them and there's still plenty of tread left. Not good in the wet though and they are noisy too and not as comfortable on poor road surfaces as I know the car should be. I put the spare on the front the other day (a Dunlop) and with just one different tyre I could tell the difference in the ride. I'll put up with Chinese **** until I need to fork out for a new set. Can't wait. Might try Falkens as an alternative as they seem a quiet tyre.