Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It sounds like a loose connection somewhere, have you tried giving the dash a tap on top when it does it?

Reminds me of my old electronics teacher ," If in doubt lad give it a clout " he was a Yorkshire man full of sage advice.

It often works though for loose connections dry joints etc.

• Like 1

Iain, I notice this on mine as well and discovered that when I drive under a bridge or a in tunnel or under anything that temporarily dims the outside daylight, the Sat-Nav will go off and flicker back to life when the light is bright again. I thought at first that there was something wrong but there wasn't. When it happens look to see if you just passed under a flyover or something similar.

do they come back on their own?

i had this problem on my mark 4 when i had it - couldnt figure it out at first as it was happening just randomly - in the end it turned out to be the ignition switch - apparently the back which holds everything in place had come lose and every so often the electrical connection would break causing the black out - normally i used to give the keys a wiggle and that used to work

luckily a brand new ignition switch came up on eBay for £12 - i replaced it and it never happened again for the year i had it

im not saying this is your problem but next time it happens give the keys a wiggle and see if it makes a difference

Thanks for the feedback folks,It happens when just going along the open road, it flashes off and on so quickly-It just catches my eyes, as mentioned before,I'm not that worried about it, BUT.... If the engine were to start cutting-out,or anything like that, then I'd be getting nervous! -I will perform the requisite checks tomorrow,on ignition switch,etc, might even try giving the dash a good kicking.............sorry,I'm getting flippant now......

Clutching at straws here, I don't suppose it could be anything to do with the sensor that dims the sat nav etc when the light fades? Do you have the dimmer switch clicked over to the left all the time? If so, it may be worth turning the auto function off for a bit to see if it still happens.

Phil

Hey Phil, Where is the dimmer switch located?

As you sit at the wheel look down to the bottom right hand side of the instrument binnacle and then locate the word security where there is a red light that flashes. Next to that is a diagram of what looks like a speedo with a knob turn as required to illuminate your way safely. Mike

Iain, I was trying to say what Phil said but didn't connect the symptoms to the dimmer control like he did. Now I realise I have my dimmer turned down a lot so it momentarily dims my sat-nav when I go under a bridge or flyover. I notice it flicker back to brightness when I'm back in sunlight. Thanks Phil.

post-46225-0-08324000-1379000735_thumb.jpost-46225-0-52255500-1379000753_thumb.jpost-46225-0-65759300-1379000773_thumb.j

More questions:- what's the black button for in the photo with the fuse -panel near the bottom?

(An inch below the Allen-Screw,with a square panel around it)

Also, what is the purpose of the lock mechanism in the centre of the small module,containing the petrol-cap release on the left,and the boot release on the right?

I take it the twirly button to the left of the (speedo icon) is what dims the dash-lights?

HI

The black button is to adjust the alarm unlock/lock beep volume - and the lock mechanism is to lock the boot so for example if you give the grey key to the hotel cheaffur to park your car he will not be able to access the boot

.......sorry about the giant photos btw-I'll get the hang of this photo-sizing App eventually.....

I take it the twirly button to the left of the (speedo icon) is what dims the dash-lights?

See my reply above your pictures. Mike

.......sorry about the giant photos btw-I'll get the hang of this photo-sizing App eventually.....

See my reply above your pictures. Mike

I did just now,sorry, Senior moment.....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links