Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen - Climate Setting To Keep It Clear!

Hi All,

I have had my Lexus IS250 for 3 months now and love it however I have a problem with the windscreen going all misty.

The weather is starting to go crap in London now and I am worried I will find it more difficult in the comnig winter months, so any help will be much appriciated.

So the porblem is that my windscreen gets all misty and the only way it clears quickly is by press in the Windscreen button, but this puts the fan on full blast and aircon comes on so gets very cold.

The Lexus is always on recirculate mode on the climate control, so dont know if this is a problem.

Please can you advise on the best setting to keep the windscreen clear at all times.

I was driving back from Ipswich the other day and it was raining. I had my wife and child with me but to keep the window cleared we had the aircon on for 1.5 hours.

Surly there must be another way....please help.

Thank you

Hey, when you click on Climate control option on dashboard, you dont have to turn on the AC, you have an option to heat your windscreen and your legs I think, it is the last option. If you have screen, if not, sorry, dont know than, but there should be an option to blow hot air on windscreen and on your legs.

I hope this will help you

Just leave the air con on...it is the best way. Put it on lowest fan speed and all will be OK.

It hardly makes any difference to mpg and your windscreen will always be clear.

i leave mine on all the time.

• Like 1

Modern cars are in effect insulated boxes unlike many of the drafty leaky examples built in the olden days, they need to be ventilated.

Years ago when Aircon was only available on luxury cars I was told to always leave it switched on, if it was turned off the seals would dry out and fail.

When it became a standard fit on many cars I asked the question again and was told it was designed to be left on all the time.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help.

So in the winter would you keep it on low aswell or would you put it on heat.

If you put it on heat would you change the re-circulation mode outside?

As I turned to the heat option the other day but all that did was made it nore misty, i then changed the recirculate to outdoor and this did not help, so just went back to Air-Con.

Ishaq...you may be getting a little confused there. You can use Air con switched on to cool or heat. Either setting will deliver 'dry' air and so stop the misting.

So, in the winter i have my temp set to whatever i choose and leave air con switched on all the time.

Ishaq...you may be getting a little confused there. You can use Air con switched on to cool or heat. Either setting will deliver 'dry' air and so stop the misting.

So, in the winter i have my temp set to whatever i choose and leave air con switched on all the time.

Thank u normski, I for some reason thought the aircon was only for cold....Thanks for explaining the dry air bit.

Sorry for the confusion, thank you for all your help.

Forget that earlier post!

My Iphone ran away from me .... :-)

Just a thought.

Ishaq's car is about 6 years old ,right?

Systems lose refrigerant naturally at around 10-15% per annum causing a range of secondary problems.

If the system has not been serviced in that time, maybe that could be part of the problem?

Normski, <It hardly makes any difference to mpg and your windscreen will always be clear.>

I'm not sure I would agree with that.

Recent experiments indicate that I'm getting at least 5% better mpg with a/c off. On some runs it is nearly 10% !

I do agree though that the windscreen can mist up quite quickly, in some conditions.

You would expect that though. It is a bad thing. Unsafe.

Argento

Hi Thank you for your comment.

Its been raining here in London lately so the windows are really misty. I just keep the aircon on low now, and that has helped me with the problem.

Though when I turn the aircon off, there is a bad smell in the cabin, so placed an order for some normfest aircon cleaner which comes with a tube, will try this over the weekend.

Do you guys alwats keep the air to recirculate in the cabin as is the default setting, or do you slect the outside option? (i guess the recirculate is default as lexus dont want any bad smell to entre the cabin from outside)

Alright...I'll settle for it making a 'negligable' impact on mpg. :whistling:

Certainly not enough for me to find it an issue.

You're right, it's not an issue at all.
The cabin is a much nicer and safer place to be with a/c ON than OFF.
We like luxury. That's why we buy Lexus cars!
The AUTO mode with AUTO AIR INTAKE activated is marvellous.
IS250 owners are very fortunate I feel.
Even recent RX400hs don't have that AUTO AIR INTAKE feature or indeed I understand, the 2-way air Intake control.
By 2-way air Intake control, I mean the fuel economy feature, designed to either heat or cool the cabin as quickly and efficiently as possible.
I understand why most people have AUTO a/c ON all the time.
Convenience and comfort.
Remember also that having the system ON all or most of the time must be less costly than having to replace parts
if the system fails because of lack of lubrication i.e. the special oil that is carried in the refrigerant as it courses through
the system.
Argento

Hi Thank you for your comment.

Its been raining here in London lately so the windows are really misty. I just keep the aircon on low now, and that has helped me with the problem.

Though when I turn the aircon off, there is a bad smell in the cabin, so placed an order for some normfest aircon cleaner which comes with a tube, will try this over the weekend.

Do you guys alwats keep the air to recirculate in the cabin as is the default setting, or do you slect the outside option? (i guess the recirculate is default as lexus dont want any bad smell to entre the cabin from outside)

<Do you guys always keep the air to recirculate in the cabin as is the default setting, >

The recirculate feature is hugely important in all automotive a/c systems in particular.

If you have the time, I suggest that you learn as much about it as possible.

When the system is in AUTO mode, the a/c ECU is continually working out which is the optimum setting.

That is, recirculate, outside air or even, a bit of both.

Argento

I never recirculate air if I need it warm, it switches to recirculate on its own when I turn the temp down tho

I only use air con when it needs demisting quickly, but I do use it all year round as I I believe it's not a good idea to not use it at all for months at a time

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links