Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First And My Only Problem With My Gs300 ('98) Abs?

OK here it goes...

Everything works fine with the car apart to when you come close to a stop before a junction etc.... when the speed drops below 10mph while braking, the ABS / TCS seems to kick in. It happens when going straight or when turning. but only when braking and only below 10mph.

Now sometimes ... when coasting to a stop .... the ABS / TCS OFF / TCS / EML lights come on and it goes in limp mode!!! (I hate it that for something as simple as ABS it has to go in limp mode!).

Pull on the side ... switch off the car / on again and everything works like nothing happened.

I suspect the problem is one of the front ABS sensors... but don't know for sure.

I would take them out and try to see if the have picked up too much debris from the hub... but I am afraid if it is seized!!! like it was on my IS300 .... then I have no spare to replace it with.

At least I could drive my IS300 until I get a replacement sensor!!! it seems to me that the GS300 does not like to be driven with an ABS Sensor fault?

I would take the car to be scanned... but the problem is that last time for my IS300 Lexus asked me £70 only for an ABS scan, which I think it is a rip off!

It seems to me that the ABS sensors to this model are unique and that are not shared with other models? other than the SC430?

Any ideas guys?

Cheers.

Does it make a weird sort of noise as well ??? sort of a groan from under dash? when braking.

Not at all speeds, only under 10mph yes it does make the same sound anyother car would make if the ESP would come on ...

There is more than likely something else going on instead of, or as well as. The GS's don't have any issues with driving with an abs fault, so limp mode is being triggered by something else engine related. As lexmanic says, check connections (and get the Battery checked out as well). I'd also get the codes read for the engine, the EML light doesn't come on for abs sensor faults, ABS and TRC/VSC ones do.

• Like 1

Time to plug in my trusty ... OBDII reader lol

OBDII reader does not work :( I have read and confirmed by the error messages I have been getting...that while a '98 model has OBDII port... it is not following the OBDII protocol of communication ... :( only after 2000 models do.

I shall try to give a good clean to the throttle body and see where it takes me to.

I would take a look at the ABS wheel sensors, drop the wheels off and have a good look, with them being magnetic they do attract bits of metal along with road grit which when it buids up alters the gap between the sensor pick up and the toothed reluctor ring.

Clean all the crud off as best you can and also check for damage to the toothed rings, they have been known to split on the hub and not provide the correct signal to the pickup sensor.

If you have a digital multimeter you can also check the resistance of the pick up sensors by disconnecting the plug and measuring across the 2 terminals to the sensor, I can't remember the exact value but think it's between 1 and 2 K Ohms, if you don't get any reading it would suggest the sensor is faulty.

• Like 1

Now that I know if I bugger off the sensor it will not trip the car into limp mode I will do that :) :)

On the other problem , I found a used throttle body with all the sensors for £40 delivered. Sounds a decent price....

In the meantime I just gonne out to the car and looked underthe bonned, unplugged the throttle body sensors plugs and used contact cleaner to clean them up a bit ... then I noticed there was about 3-4 mm slack on the accelerator cable. I have adjusted that so now the car does respond instantly (like the IS300) used to.

Will see if there was water ingress on the connections after I cleaned the engine... that was causing the ABS/TCS OFF/TCS/EML light to come on along with limp mode.

Is the ABS light on all the time? If not, then there won't be a fault with the sensor, but checking for any crud on the end of the sensor might still be worth a look just in case it is triggering a false reading. You can read the fault codes (current and stored) without a reader for the EML light and the ABS light (counting the flashes of the lamps) by using a shorting wire and the diagnostic socket. Have you had the Battery checked out?

• Like 1

No the ABS light is not on at all.

It just triggers the ABS at low speeds. It is more likely dirt at the end of the sensor indeed.

Just finding the time and the weather to do some cleaning work on it.

I will take the Battery out and put it on my charger and see what the state of it is.

I am kind of sure that the ABS/TCS/TCS OFF/EML combo of lights coming on is something with the throttle body sensors rather than the ABS it self, after I had some reading online.

This does trigger the Limp mode.

Cheers

:)

OK for definite my throttle body has a problem ...

when the car is cold ... and for about 15mins of driving... it all works great!

Then as the car warms up and getting close to the junctions the throttle response becomes lazy ... and it keeps going in limp mode.

I might try to clean it tomorrow morning and see what I might get from it.

But for sure I will order that cheap used one to see if I have any improvement.

MAF sensor in the list of things doing too

:)

I am ordering the Full Throttle Body plus a MAF sensor .... then at least I have a couple of spares to play with. If cleaning does not do anything.

By the way ... to correct my previous posts.

ABS light does not come on.

I only have EML light to start with , and then when the car slows down to lets say 20mph then I get the VSC/VSC OFF lights as well.

I assume the VSC is directly linked to the throttle body in order to work properly.

The EML light comes on ... only when coasting, but prior it coming on, the throttle response gets noticeably slaggish! and slow.

I am suspecting the throttle motor,,,

• 3 months later...

Hi i have nearly the same problem,ABS starts working when car slows down till 20-10mph.

checked on diagnostic no foults

at the end i found Rear ABS rings damaged of rust

i was looking on eBay,amazon and web

no chance to find

Lexus dealers doesn't sell them,they just offered full driveshaft for 250£.i need bouth sides total 500£

can somebody help me or any sugestion where to finde ABS rings

gs300 mkll 99

thank's

Hi i have nearly the same problem,ABS starts working when car slows down till 20-10mph.

checked on diagnostic no foults

at the end i found Rear ABS rings damaged of rust

i was looking on ebay,amazon and web

no chance to find

Lexus dealers doesn't sell them,they just offered full driveshaft for 250£.i need bouth sides total 500£

can somebody help me or any sugestion where to finde ABS rings

gs300 mkll 99

thank's

I don't know which search engine you used but it took me all of 30 seconds to find what you need in the UK :)

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/lexus-gs-rx-abs-ring-driveshaft-reluctor-abs-ring-1993-2003/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171166125977?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D171166125977%26_rdc%3D1

as you can see in item description the ring goes up to 1997 and after 2000.they dont fit to lexus gs300 1999

the ring is just for JZS147 not for JZS160

• 1 month later...

hi I had the same problem a couple a years back on my 98 model, at very low speed 10 mph and coming to a stop, my problem was the ABS ring on the rear ????? but you cant get just the ABS ring ?you had to get the complete drive shaft £500 fitted by LEXUS hope yours ant that problem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171166125977?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D171166125977%26_rdc%3D1

as you can see in item description the ring goes up to 1997 and after 2000.they dont fit to lexus gs300 1999

the ring is just for JZS147 not for JZS160

Sorry. from 1st glance it looks like all model years were covered, new drive shaft/hub then.

Hi problem sorted

rust was the problem and damaged abs rings

i removed these steel rings from hub cleaned rust

i put some pictures and i think you understand

i got second hand driveshafts

and now everything is ok

post-48515-0-96209000-1392924614_thumb.j

post-48515-0-00813000-1392924616_thumb.j

post-48515-0-21273900-1392924617_thumb.j

post-48515-0-51544600-1392924618_thumb.j

post-48515-0-91608300-1392924619_thumb.j

post-48515-0-42037700-1392924621_thumb.j