Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real World Fuel Economy

• 2 months later...

I'm getting 60+mpg (on the computer) on my halifax to Swindon trip round trip. 

Motorway 370 miles, country roads/dual carriageway 70, local 4 mile commute each way 4x a week - hotel to work. + aircon on for the entire up and down trip and on the commute back to the hotels in the evening.  Largely at the available speed limits where possible.  Couple of sections of crawling in traffic for 15/20 mins.

Pretty impressive.

I get my petrol from Morrisons, so nothing special.  The 64mpg ended with 62.7 after the 8x 4.5 mile runs to and from work and return journey back from Swindon to Halifax.  p.s. hx-Swindon journeys were done with aircon on and cruise as well.

The hx-swindon Journeys have a number of 50 and even 40mph sections which helps.  I'm pretty good at driving economically, I once got 82mpg from my Hyundai i30 diesel. on a Halifax to Northampton run.  I temper my economy with aiming to get below 10mpg on track in my other car.

I accelerate slowly, always use cruise control, and do lots and lots of anticipation, I very seldom brake, most 'braking' is just engine braking. (Brakes on my Hyundai lasted 60k miles :-) )

I know people who are fanatical about driving slowly and accelerating slowly to save fuel. The same people have 3 or 4 takeaways and eat out on a regular basis each month too. I'd much rather cut down on the takeaways and drive normally to be honest.

• Like 2

On 19/07/2017 at 2:16 PM, paulrnx said:

I know people who are fanatical about driving slowly and accelerating slowly to save fuel. The same people have 3 or 4 takeaways and eat out on a regular basis each month too. I'd much rather cut down on the takeaways and drive normally to be honest.

whats 'normal'  I drive to the speed limits, I do 25-30k a year, cant afford to lose my licence or rack up points.  I do track days for fun instead. 

• Like 1

Got metronome 52mpg over 100K miles in my old SE, just swapped to a 2017 Sport and almost done 1000 miles and it's a shade under 48 mpg.   Can live with that, obviously the change from 16" to 18" tyres but still amazing for a 2.5l petrol. I only drive on Normal though, too much turbo lag on ECO for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blisteringblue said:

Got metronome 52mpg over 100K miles in my old SE, just swapped to a 2017 Sport and almost done 1000 miles and it's a shade under 48 mpg.   Can live with that, obviously the change from 16" to 18" tyres but still amazing for a 2.5l petrol. I only drive on Normal though, too much turbo lag on ECO for me.

Is 300h-Turbo lag?? 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:48 PM, sparkyhx said:

whats 'normal'  I drive to the speed limits, I do 25-30k a year, cant afford to lose my licence or rack up points.  I do track days for fun instead. 

Normal being the opposite of what some people get up to on here in order to eke out every last mile per gallon

• 3 months later...

I'm about to hand my IS300h Fsport back at the end of it's lease.  I've done just over 49,000 miles in that time.  As it's a company car I kept a complete log of every fill and journey.

The main trip I do is between home in Norfolk and our offices in Milton Keynes.  86 miles each way , around 20 of which are single carriageway the rest dual carriageway.

Over 3 years my average fuel consumption was 44.81 MPG. Over the last year the average was 45.26 MPG - measured using fuel used.  Best was 49.9 MPG for a full tank, best for the 85 mile trip was 54.2 MPG.  My driving style is to use the cruise control as much as possible usually set to around 67 MPH.

The cars MPG meter  consistently overstated the consumption by 10%.  i.e. it says 55 MPG when it was nearer 50 MPG.

A few things I've noticed.  Fuel consumption is better when there is heavier traffic as the slow traffic can be done on the electric motor - but not really bad traffic as then it gets much worse as the engine runs to recharge the batteries.

Premium fuel - I tried this for 2000 miles and came to the conclusion that yes, you get 5% better fuel consumption but it costs 5% more so its cost neutral.

Cost - as I also log the cost of the fuel i calculated that the fuel cost per mile averaged 10.9 pence per mile over 3 years - not bad.

I've now got an NX and already noticed the drop in consumption!

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a 2016 model which I’ve owned for 9 months now and I cannot get the consumption above 41mpg no matter how I drive or in what mode. 

I have tried all modes, and all styles and it barely changes. 

Even trying different styles and modes over 4 tanks of super unleaded it didn’t climb at all. 

I’m wondering if ther is a lurking problem with the car.

I love how it drives but this is frustrating me somewhat. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 2:11 PM, paulrnx said:

Is the only reason that people buy an IS300h for its economy or its perceived economy? Driving say 12,000 miles per year at 50mpg would require 240 gallons of fuel. Doing the same miles at 40mpg would require 300 gallons of fuel. At about £1.20 per litre of fuel in the uk and 4.5 litres of fuel in a (UK) gallon, that's a difference of about £325 over a full year or about £27 a month. Call it £1,000 over a 3 year period. Over the same 3 year period a 36,000 mile IS300h will lose I'd guess about £15k although we could probably argue whether it was only £12k or as much as £18k. Then you pay £hundreds per year on insurance, an average of £300 per year on servicing, four new tyres in that time too and then incidentals on top. Fuel economy doesn't really matter that much. It's always interesting to see what is achievable but it ain't the be all and end all of motoring.

Although to be fair,  those costs will apply to most cars.