Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is It Possible To Get A Mirror Like My Ls430 Had?

It had a faint red vertical line about one third of the way in, and somehow managed to eliminate the blind spot. I have been nearly caught out several times by the completely plain mirror that's fitted to the RX400H. I have tried fitting one of those stick on convex blind spot things, but it isn't working for me - somehow I don't seem to notice anything in it.

Mike

It's a shame the LS mirror is smaller than the RX, or I could have bought one and got someone to cut it down.

Mike

Highly unlikely. Most of the RX mirrors are auto dimming so not that easy to just cut down to size without loosing this function.

Do not know for sure, but it seems the same way as the inside mirror:

Automatic dimming

In the 1950s, American inventor Jacob Rabinow developed a light-sensitive automatic mechanism for the wedge-type day/night mirror.[5]Several Chrysler Corporation cars offered these automatic mirrors as optional equipment as early as 1959, but few customers ordered them for their cars and the item was soon withdrawn from the option lists. Several automakers began offering rear-view mirrors with automatic dimming again in 1983, and it was in the late 1980s that they began to catch on in popularity.

Current systems usually use photosensors mounted in the actual rear-view mirror to detect light and dim the mirror by means of electrochromism. This electrochromic feature has been also incorporated into side-view mirrors allowing them to dim and reduce glare as well.

.... and when they teach you to ride a bike :D

I think I will put the Surform Rasp to work on the central door pillar as it currently has me bobbing and weaving to see whether there is a bike hidden by it. (never had that problem with the LS430)

Mike

• 4 years later...

Is there an optimum place on the drivers door mirror to place a small blind spot mirror?

Near the far edge, high, low?

On 16/09/2013 at 4:57 PM, mikesands said:

.... and when they teach you to ride a bike :D

I think I will put the Surform Rasp to work on the central door pillar as it currently has me bobbing and weaving to see whether there is a bike hidden by it. (never had that problem with the LS430)

Mike

Don't Lexus fit blind spot cameras on any of their models?  My Volvo has them and they're brilliant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Don't Lexus fit blind spot cameras on any of their models?  My Volvo has them and they're brilliant.

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

That's a great system for parking etc but I meant more like my system where a light blinks on either door pillar to warn you of a vehicle/bike etc approaching.

Yes they do. On all current models, but not all trim levels. As with most if not all manufacturers, this is an "extra" that tends to be available only on range topers.

I think they are only available on Premier or F-Sport with Premier pack.

• Like 1