Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Smaller Wheel Rims And Your Insurance

johnm112

Having just got my GS450h I am now thinking ahead to the winter. I intend fitting winter tyres and was wondering about fitting smaller 17inch or even 16inch rims. I contacted my insurer - Lexus Insurance – for advice and was surprised to be told that under the terms of my policy only rims of the same size as the factory fitted wheels are allowed and fitting smaller rims would be regarded as a modification and thus my policy would be void.

I was really surprised by this as I had assumed that fitting smaller rims for winter driving would be safer and make me less of an insurance risk.

I still have my E320CDI which is insured through Admiral Insurance. I decided to give them a call to find out their take on the subject. They were initially unsure, but after some consultation decided fitting smaller rims would be fine provided they were Mercedes optional extras and that I notified them on the day of change over and the day of change back – incurring an administration fee of £17.50 each time!

I don't understand why your insurance would be void? You've notified them of a modification and they amend your policy accordingly. Your premium will prob go up even though the steps you are taking makes you less of an insurance risk it's another excuse for insurers to rip off an honest, safe motorists.

I hate insurance company's with a passion! I got charged a £36 admin fee for changing my number plate last month! Joke!!

I don't understand why your insurance would be void? You've notified them of a modification and they amend your policy accordingly. Your premium will prob go up even though the steps you are taking makes you less of an insurance risk it's another excuse for insurers to rip off an honest, safe motorists.

I hate insurance company's with a passion! I got charged a £36 admin fee for changing my number plate last month! Joke!!

I thought that they would amend it too, but they won't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a somewhat of a related question: do insurance companies actually know what size rims the car rolled out with from the showroom? For example, the IS300 could be had with either 17" or 18" rims from new. Let's say one's car initially had the 18" aeros, and then they decide to swap it with the 17" standard rims. Would they have to notify the insurance company?

What if I'm swapping my 5-spoke 17" rims to the later-model 11-spoke 17" rims?

• 3 months later...

That's odd as Admiral are one of many insurance companies that have agreed to no charge and no difference to cover provided.

This agreement covers the period from 2nd Sept 2013 until 2nd Sept 2014

Of course the winter tyres/wheels must be of a size approved by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

I have the word doc in front of me on this iPad.......although not sure how I can copy it here into the forum?

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx