Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satellite Navigation Disc

Agonyuncle

I am unable to eject my DVD from the unit in the boot.

I have moved the slider across to open the door and then pushed the button on the slider but nothing happens.

I have even found a post about hidden menus on the screen that ejects the DVD but cannot get that to work.

After trying to gently encourage the DVD to come out of the unit with a thin knife the menu screen now says to "check the disc" as it is not recognised so I may have damaged it or dislodged it from its cradle so fear I have made matters worse. :eerrrmm:

I have considered removing the carpet to see if I can remove the unit but it looks daunting.

hi,silly question but are you sure it had a disc in the first place?in trying to remove the disc make sure you have the ignition on,and the sliding switch in the boot open and then press the eject button for a couple of seconds and disc should eject.

I have now removed the Sat Nav unit from my boot, taken out the DVD disc but now it will not accept the disc back in.

Strangely, there is no eject button. The slider (fascia) has no electrical parts or plastic pins at all that would initiate an ejection of the DVD so it is a complete mystery how you would ever swap DVD's in this device.

I will look for a replacement (p/n: 86841-50100) or get it repaired. If anyone happens to know if other Units will fit please let me know. A couple I have seen look the same but I cannot see the rear electrical connections.

As often happens, I wish I had just left it alone.

Baffled is being kind. Unless my black square push button (typically dual function) that allows the cover to slide to the left simply does not work i.e. does not cause the unit to eject the disc. It certainly does not currently connect to any part of the player to facilitate this I can ensure you. I have the fascia off so I can see exactly how it operates and what it can and cannot connect to.

• 1 month later...

£96 later and unit is fixed. The eject mechanism internally had worn out hence why it was not ejecting. Heaven only knows why this happened as how many times would you need to eject a Nav disc!!

I have reset the mechanism . the bearing on the disk
clamping mechanism had worn down which made it difficult to eject the disk .
reassembled the unit and rechecked the system . as I haven’t the control for
the navigation system all I can do is observe the operation of the disk . when
the disk is inserted and plats ,. It is searching for various information
and is behaving normally in this respect . The ejecting of the disk is working
in all respects including immediate ejection after loading the disk and also
after a period of time with the disk is acquiring info off the disc.

£96 later and unit is fixed. The eject mechanism internally had worn out hence why it was not ejecting. Heaven only knows why this happened as how many times would you need to eject a Nav disc!!

I have reset the mechanism . the bearing on the disk

clamping mechanism had worn down which made it difficult to eject the disk .

reassembled the unit and rechecked the system . as I haven’t the control for

the navigation system all I can do is observe the operation of the disk . when

the disk is inserted and plats ,. It is searching for various information

and is behaving normally in this respect . The ejecting of the disk is working

in all respects including immediate ejection after loading the disk and also

after a period of time with the disk is acquiring info off the disc.

You have my sympathy and I am sure that of many of us. I have looked on other Lexus web sites and this issue is not uncommon. As you say why should something wear out that is hardy ever used. On top of that the Sat Nav is so poor I am not sure I would want to repair it. Don't get me wrong I love the SC430 Its quiet its smooth its fast its very economical the sound system is the best ever. But the Sat Nav is primitive and out of date (and I have the an upgraded set 2012 December) full set of Europe (hate that word) discs. They are rubbish in the UK and I wont go to Europe as I hate the place. . and I wish there was a way of replacing it with even say, an £80 Nav Man type I bought 6 years ago for my other car which is far far superior. I mean far superior. It tells me on screen my speed (accurately) it never takes me of route (the SC430 one is just stupid) the screen definition is more than 3 times as good etc etc I could go on. The only reason to keep the Lexus Sat Nav is that you want to keep the car original.

sorry beg to differ,they might be primitive as technology moves on so fast these days however mine gets me to where am going pretty okay,gps is more or less the same irregardless.

sorry beg to differ,they might be primitive as technology moves on so fast these days however mine gets me to where am going pretty okay,gps is more or less the same irregardless.

Your having more luck with it than I am.. I certainly don't agree that all GPS is the same it just is not. while it may well have similar methods of identifying your location the way this is dealt with can be very different depending on which system you have. The Toyota system has faults others have overcome. Route selection, deviation from selected route and active detour are all poor on the Lexus to the point of being useless. The so called up to date maps (which I have ) are not correct. Postcode selection is only for the first 5 digits or so etc etc At times its just pointless. Your welcome to it..

• Like 1

All I can say is mine gets me from a to b pretty ok.

I did that before sat nav was invented. Its not what its for. it should improve on that and when compared to other cheaper bolt on's its not as good. So be happy with mediocrity but please don't tell me its worth the money its just not.

• Like 1

Then don't buy it no ones asking you to or forcing you,why not spend some money on a Tom Tom then problem solved?????

I have no problem I have an opinion that's what the board is for. I don't like the Sat Nav its crap... I know where I am going unless diverted onto an unknown road and that's when the Lexus Sat Nav is useless and mine is right up to date. On my Jag I have a Nav Man its twice as good as the Lexus. I think your suffering from cognitive dissonance !!

• Like 1

Gentlemen time please.

Sat Nav re-installed and working. So c£100 and 3 weeks later I am back where I started - except the eject button now works.

Is it worth buying the latest Nav DVD?

Well from my posts you can see I am less than happy with it.. so its up to you ..Positive point is depending on which version you had before it does allow certain other features, like operation on the move etc but it really is dire. The maps are slightly more accurate But as I say not as good as some cheaper systems in fact you can buy a bolt on with better compatibility and full post code (why the Lexus 2012 + version doesn't have that I will never know)etc for cheaper than updating the Toyota / Lexus version. nothing else has changed.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You get what you pay for, comparing a noughties SatNav with a current one is never going to work, even with upgraded disks. I have a 2002 device, with the latest maps, and it works OK, no Post Codes, but pretty good otherwise. When I want Post Codes I use my TomTom 400 which also adds speed cameras (always a bonus :)) but looks naff on the wind screen.

I had an interesting experience with my Lexus Sat Nav today. 2005 Mk 2 (6) with an 2013 updated Lexus full European disc bought from Lexus Toyota online.Took my daughter (aged 9) for a trip around North Yorkshire. From near York plan was to go and climb Roseberry Topping near Great Ayton and then go on to Saltburn.. I put the sat nav on even though I thought I knew where I was going although I haven't been on those roads for years. I used to cycle all over them when I was young.First problem was it didn't know anything about Newton Under Roseberry so I put in Great Ayton.. It knew that then took me right past the turn off and I had to ignore it again.. Found the car park myself... Then on (After an hour and 20 minites climbing) to Saltburn selected the centre and set off.. I took me past the turn off I thought I should have used and left me 8 miles away in the middle of the Whitby Coast Road telling me I had reached my destination.!!!!

Didn't go to Saltburn we went to Sandsend instead.. Great fish and chips and an ok stay. Set of for home and enterd my memorised code. ... It tried to take me back to Guisbrough but eventually realised the way I was going.. I know this rout well and the annoying woman's voice was strangely silent look at the screen and it showed the car happily traveling across the North Yorkshire moors not even on a road!!! After about 10 miles it did seem to recover its senses bu when I got home it still showed me 3.5 miles away !!!

Now this is the first time I have used the sat nav with the roof down.. Its never been this bad before...

Completely useless.... In fact worse misleading and inconsistent.

However it didn't spoil the day. Not too much traffic, great driving roads through some of the best scenery in the UK and what a car to drive with the roof down on a sunny day. Brilliant. my daughter said its like flying.....

I know im a bit late on this but being a computer guy every drive ive ever seen has a manual eject you use a pin with. Its standard hard to see it though. Glad its fixed. Im actually a fan of the interface, yes its a bummer it doesn't have post code entry but its once its setup its very clear