Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Mount/ Suspension

Hi all,

First big, non general maintinence experience today..

Had my RX in the garage due to creaking top mounts, turns out that its the bush in the top of the suspension leg not the top mount.

If the warranty doesnt cover it I'm looking at a bill of just over £900..

(It has been classed as failure and no wear and tear so fingers crossed..)

J

Hi all,

First big, non general maintinence experience today..

Had my RX in the garage due to creaking top mounts, turns out that its the bush in the top of the suspension leg not the top mount.

If the warranty doesnt cover it I'm looking at a bill of just over £900..

(It has been classed as failure and no wear and tear so fingers crossed..)

J

What is the mileage?

Jason, I had a new F/O/S suspension leg fitted to my RX 300 last year as a result of a knocking noise caused by excessive play. Lexus said £899. I had it done at a local garage for about £830. The tracking was out a bit after, and I ve since had it re-tracked when I ve just had the 60K service done. So in the end it has pretty much cost the £899...

If it did need doing. Based on my experience, prob let Lexus do it... The leg itself was about £600-650 as I recall.

I don't quite understand which part has failed to cost you £900.00.

There is a "bearing" at around £60.00 and the rubber top mount around £30.00

Apologies, its the bearing that has failed and which is part of the strut and non replaceable.

New strut 560 , plus labour, plus tracking 900 notes.

Got the car back today- cost just over £971 and covered by the warranty.

The bearing had failed- collapsed in on itself and hence the groaning when turning left.

New strut and (£571) top mount plus drop link and tracking...the bearing is part of the strut on the air suspension and not available seperately.

J

Paid £508 for the warranty end of Feb this year, so its paid for itself....

OK, good result for you :phone: - but did you own the car before that? Imagine if you had and you paid £500 every year for the warranty since the standard one ran out?

I'm assuming the Lexus warranty is 3 years from new (?), so if you'd paid for the extended warranty since that ended, you'd have coughed up £2k so far. And if you'd got the work done at an independent garage, £900 would probably have been something like £700.

Sorry, just being Devil's Advocate :devil: - extended warranty's are great but you pay for them and you are unlikely, IMO, to get it to pay for itself. I've had several new cars (and motorbikes) and only ever used the warranty once (fuel pump on a BMW bike).

Possibly I've just been lucky but in 25 years of car ownership, I've never had a large, non-maintenance bill. :whistling:

Now, if I had a Landrover, things would be different... :innocent: