Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keys

To be honest not too sure if it will(wouldn't advice cutting the end off to make it short),however a long key will work all the same just that you have a bit more sticking out of the barrel.

• 10 months later...

I didn't realise there were different lengths. I bought a blank which when it arrived was noticeably longer by several mm. I thought the guy at the locksmiths would cut it to length. He didn't. I paid him £25 to cut it from my own key and although it goes I to the barrel ok, it sticks out a lot. And more importantly it won't turn, not one jot. Surely the transponder will red the chip in the key from 3-4mm away which is how much it's sticking out? But in a nutshell, it don't work.

If anyone knows why it would be handy to know so I can go back to him with some knowledge. I already went back and he said the length has nothing to do with it. He then 'recut it' although it looks no different. It still don't work.

If it doesn't turn at all then the key hasn't been cut properly,if cut properly it should turn in the key barrel with or without transponder.

• Like 1

I went back earlier but the car guy had already left. The house guy had a look and spotted that there is a noticeable but slight central channel cut into the original key that has not been put into the new key that doesn't work. I'm hoping that's all that is now needed to be added. I'll let you know if it is so you have some idea as to the answer to your query.