Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

18" To 16" Wheels

VLM

Having recently got an IS200 with 18" wheels I'd like to get a set of winter wheels for it.
Would 16" rims fit straight on the car which has the standard fit 18" Aero wheels? There seems plenty of space round the brakes. Or would you guys go for 17s as they are more commonplace?
There are some 16" with part-worn winter tyres on eBay I see, 16" would ride the winter potholes better. They seem a bit pricey, and I'd rather buy my own tyres.

Cheers

Rolling radius won't make much difference to traction in the snow, much less so than tyre width. Slimmer the better when it comes to dirt/mud, water and snow, wider the better when it comes to tarmac

16s it is then. Now to find some.

I had winter tyres on my previous car (Honda Jazz). The best thing was outmanouvering BMWs on cold wet roundabouts. They couldn't catch it. Of course they soon sorted that problem on the straights...

D

• Like 1

:) I see there's no probs getting winter tyres for the 17".

Maybe you guys can advise. I was driving in heavy rain the other night, standing water on the dual carriageway, frankly I was nervous at 70 as the admittedly worn front tyres were struggling to shift the water. My Volvo wouldn't have even noticed that on its 195 tyres. Add a Scottish winter's slush, grit, more salt than the sea, and those 18 inchers with their slippers on need to be tucked up in the garage under a warm blanket. Plus I need the car for work so can't messing with poor traction.
I would normally put the winters on from end of October to early April. I'd get a decent set of tyres as really they're more important than the summer wear. You can then confidently enjoy the car.

Cheers

As said, rolling radius (and thus, diameter or the wheels) isn't a problem. Doesn't matter if you have 16's with tall profile tyres or 18's with low profile. What matters is width, and tread. Tread is sorted by buying decent tyres, and obviously winter compound and tread. Diameter is only an issue if it's detrimental to width; ie, it's unlikely you'll find an 18x6 wheel, as it's more likely to be 18x7 or 18x8.

Personally, I run a set of identical, standard, Lexus 17" IS rims (which are 7J I believe). I run these with 205 section tyres on them. The normal tyres I run on my summer wheels are 215's. I doubt very much that the extra 1cm in width is making a huge difference, but as Tesco says; every little helps ;)