Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust System

IanA2

Half way down the exhaust system of my 2001 GS430 I have a completely corroded pipe. Looking at it on the ramp it the mid section could theoretically be replaced, but the bolts onto the first set of cats are very very badly corroded and it's doubtful if they could be removed in such a manner as to allow attachment of the new pipes. Similar problems at he other end. It seems to me that from a labour point of view it would be cheaper to replace the whole pipe and all three cats. Question is, are how much would parts cost. Are there acceptable pattern parts? Would a system be available at a scrappers? Is the system particular to the 430 or is it used in other vehicles. All information greatly received. It's a beautiful car and I really don't want to scrap it, but at the moment it's looking like the costs will be way more than the value of the car.

"It's a beautiful car and I really don't want to scrap it, but at the moment it's looking like the costs will be way more than the value of the car."

Think carefully, if the above is true, then in my view the value of the car is really the cost to you of replacing it with something similar.

So, given that replacing could well run into several thousand pounds, I would suggest that you should seek to repair/replace the offending parts of your much loved vehicle.

Regards

John

Lexusdirectparts quote for parts and installation is £2K and I think that's ex vat. I'll be looking at options as I do want to keep the car, it really is good. I have an SL60, a GES300 and an RX300 as well so I'm not having to walk!!

Lexusdirectparts quote for parts and installation is £2K and I think that's ex vat. I'll be looking at options as I do want to keep the car, it really is good. I have an SL60, a GES300 and an RX300 as well so I'm not having to walk!!

Thanks Ian.

I will pick up my first (and probably last ) Lexus next week. It`s a "10" reg GS450H with 17,000 on the clock.

However I could not let go of my E220 cdi Auto Estate (W210) with 184,000 on the clock and which takes me to and from Andalucía twice each year @ over 50mpg. I simply could not afford to replace it.............so I didn`t, I kept it !!

Good luck with the GS.

Regards

John

@ scudney. For some reason your post didn't show yesterday (or I missed it!). Have you any direct knowledge of LL N'tpton? I ask as I my understanding is that this is a franchise operation and I've heard that results can be variable. Some outlets get rave reviews, and some, shall we say, don't!

Well used LL(Battersea) years ago with no problems,so had no issue with using them again so used LL Northampton earlier this year as just wanted a stainless steel exhaust(my OEM was still okay)Yes its a franchise under Intown Automotive,no problems there either although did have to take it back as it was leaking ever so slightly triggering the EML to come on during long journeys - problem rectified and all has been okay ever since.

Well used LL(Battersea) years ago with no problems,so had no issue with using them again so used LL Northampton earlier this year as just wanted a stainless steel exhaust(my OEM was still okay)Yes its a franchise under Intown Automotive,no problems there either although did have to take it back as it was leaking ever so slightly triggering the EML to come on during long journeys - problem rectified and all has been okay ever since.

What work was done? Did you have a whole system? Can you recall the approx cost?

Many thanks

Stainless steel cat back,originally went for a chambered back box with no middle box - resonator but thought it too loud so had a middle box fitted so now just slightly louder that OEM,cost me £349.

Stainless steel cat back,originally went for a chambered back box with no middle box - resonator but thought it too loud so had a middle box fitted so now just slightly louder that OEM,cost me £349.

Very helpful, many thanks

• 9 months later...

Update: Went up to Leeds and got things sorted. Tony Banks holds the LL franchise there.

In fact I needed a complete new system.

Job was very well done and came in at around £750.

Update is much appreciated Ian.

Cost seems very reasonable for a complete s/s system, which one assumes has a lifetime guarantee?

Regards

John

Yes, not only is it a lifetime guarantee, but it is transferable. Not that I'll be selling, it really is such a good car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links