Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I thought it might be useful to write a blog of my experience of LPG conversion from start to finish.

Today I will be dropping off my 1999 mk4 LS400 to Battersea Autogas to have a BRC system with auto flash lube fitted. I have requested they remove the inlet manifold when drilling to prevent swarf entering the engine.

They have complied with my request without reservation, when I drop off the car I will also insist on photos being taken of the engine with the manifold off for confirmation.

My experience with Marco at Battersea Autogas so far has been excellent, so let's see how it goes!

Hi Gary ,I hope your LPG install works out ok for you ,if you do a lot of miles it will be worth it . Not for me though only do about 3000miles a year spread between three cars , whose total cost was less than an average LPG install .

I thought it might be useful to write a blog of my experience of LPG conversion from start to finish.

Today I will be dropping off my 1999 mk4 LS400 to Battersea Autogas to have a BRC system with auto flash lube fitted. I have requested they remove the inlet manifold when drilling to prevent swarf entering the engine.

They have complied with my request without reservation, when I drop off the car I will also insist on photos being taken of the engine with the manifold off for confirmation.

My experience with Marco at Battersea Autogas so far has been excellent, so let's see how it goes!

I had my last ls400 converted by them not as neat a job as profess but I had no problems with the conversion (BRC plug & drive) in the 5 years I had the car.

LPG blog Update.

Dropped the car off today, went through where the LED indicators for gas and lube will be placed also where the filler

Will go. Decided to to have it in the body rather than in bumper as I have a dodgy back and don't want to make it any more difficult than it needs to be. There seems to be some concern about the security code for the audio/satnav system, I did not get a code with the car paper work, found a thread with some instructions for resetting on this forum, also it might be that it is disabled, I have taken photos of the relevant pages from the book supplied with the car and sent them over via email, there is a number written by hand in the book but it looks like a mobile number, I believe the code has 4 digits? if anyone can shed light on this I would be grateful.

There was one thing I found a little surprising. It seems they didn't have the correct software to hand to read the on board computer,

Apparently it is at the other branch???? (Is there one) And will be there tomorrow. Again let's see

to be fair I have just seen a few photos of their conversions and they look reasonably neat

Everything in their conversions are on show so not much thought on where it is put but it is quite neat

Be interesting to see how they do a LS400

http://www.lpg-car-conversion-london.co.uk/

https://plus.google.com/photos/105908154940574280304/albums/5459168952426261249?banner=pwa

to be fair I have just seen a few photos of their conversions and they look reasonably neat

Everything in their conversions are on show so not much thought on where it is put but it is quite neat

Be interesting to see how they do a LS400

http://www.lpg-car-conversion-london.co.uk/

https://plus.google.com/photos/105908154940574280304/albums/5459168952426261249?banner=pwa

Love the spelling of solenoid... and this tank installation looks a bit iffy.

Jeep_Cherokee_37_8_zps3d0c3ee6.jpg.

That picture wasn't what Adam linked to sorry. Just having a browse through their site and came across it. That was a jeep cherokee they did. The volvo boot with the none fitting boot carpet stood out too.

As you say why post dodgy looking pics on your own site??????? Hope yours turns out okay and the others are just because some cars are easier to convert than others.

Call me old-fashioned-but would not removing the inlet manifold,to prevent swarf- ingress,during drilling of holes,not be a glaringly obvious part of this whole operation,or am I missing something here? ( for Battersea Autogas, I'm not casting aspersions on your comment,which sounds perfectly feasible,as I would wish the same) I hope everything goes well,with the conversion.

Ok, That Cherokee is a total disaster!

From what I understand the badly fitting volvo carpet is a result of a larger tank being requested, the extra height not allowing the carpet

To relocate. Not much you can do about that I guess.

I have sent Autogas Battersea links to all the forums I am posting this info on. This one, Honest John, LPG forum, V8 forum.

People wanting to convert to LPG that live in the London area that don't want to go to wales need choices,

this is an opportunity for LPG Autogas to up there game a little,

They have a good reputation for the reliability of there work, maybe the neatness could be improved. I will fully document this installation, so this is a chance for them to up there game. It could prove very valuable to them in the long run. (Are you listening Marco?)

Bluesbreaker, one would have thought that to be the case,

But if you phone around and ask most installers they don't remove the inlet manifold for drilling.

This seems to be the modern way, on the surface the world no longer seems to revere excellence.

Second rate is good enough, Primart mentality.

On the other hand I think this attitude promotes a resurgence in the need for quality

My own company www.dysonart.com make very high quality picture frames for the fine art world

And we are rushed of our feet! So I guess there is hope

The audio satnav system does not have a security code set at the factory the seperate user manual you should have ,instructs the owner to set one if they desire. Instructions are as follows; push Menu switch;touch security on the menu screen When a security number is not registered the screen changes and displays the menu to register a security number.If a number is already registered the screen shows the menu to change the security number.It is a four digit code.

Yes I didn't upload that photo of the tank

As far as I am aware the tank must have no less than 250mm clearance from the floor

If, however, this is not possible then there must be a skid pan fitted to the tank

This would make the tank even lower - it's stupid in my opinion - but they are the rules

As dodgy as it might look it actually passes the regulations

As for my comment about things put in view, there is nothing wrong with this, soome people like to see what they're paying for.

Personally I don't like that and like everything hidden, however their jobs are neat.

Hope it runs ok for you

Re: Security code, as I did not the code for my car and Autogas Battersea needed to disconnect the Battery to do the convertion

I needed a solution. To my amazement I found the info in blue below on our forum and sent it over to AB by email.

hey presto!!! it worked.

True to there word Autogas Battersea sent over pics of the removed inlet manifold yesterday for my peace of mind (thanx Marco)

interesting though before they started they hooked the car up to a laptop just to check and found a slight misfire.

the strange thing is the car has been driving perfectly and neither I nor anyone at Autogas Battersea could detect such a thing.

anyway I had already asked for new platinum plugs to be fitted so hopefully that should sort it out

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (combination meter warning
lights illuminated)

While pressing CLIMATE and AUDIO switches simultaneously, turn the
HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:

OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS

The SYSTEM CHECK will become displayed on the screen. It will take
approx. 30 seconds for the check to be completed - the display will
change from CHECKING to OK

Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU. The DIAGMENU
will be displayed

Starting with the AUDIO button, follow the sequence:

AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION

The SECURITY menu will be displayed. Using the numeric keys enter
440215. Press ENTER

The displaywill return to the DIAGMENU. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to
the OFF position. The security code is now cleared - the unit will
operate normally.

Very interesting !!!!

I'm running this blog on a few other related forums, got this reply regarding spark plugs.

Will be fitting NGK iridium IX plugs

Did anyone change there plugs over to iridium when they converted there car?

"LPG eats Platinum. Ask for Irridium.

www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/pl

Also, because taxis use liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) as fuel, a large electrode increases the required voltage, and because this places a larger load on high tension cords and coils, it affects the life of the vehicle. With its 0.4mm center electrode that keeps the required voltage low, it can be said that the iridium PLUS, is a car-friendly spark plug.

Unquote

These plugs are designed for LPG."

LPG Blog update

I was meant pick up my car on Friday eve but had forgotten (much to my wife's disgust) that I had to attend an event early on Friday eve out in Kent, with a stay for a long weekend. It would have put pressure on BA to finish ahead of the scheduled time so I'll pick up early next week. I am becoming very aware of the time impact on the installer when removing the inlet manifold.

I can really see why they avoid it in order to remain competitive. The link below is to a thread I started on the LPG forum inviting installers

To comment on the subject that you might find interesting.

there has been a good response.

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12737

Re: Security code, as I did not the code for my car and Autogas Battersea needed to disconnect the battery to do the convertion

I needed a solution. To my amazement I found the info in blue below on our forum and sent it over to AB by email.

hey presto!!! it worked.

True to there word Autogas Battersea sent over pics of the removed inlet manifold yesterday for my peace of mind (thanx Marco)

interesting though before they started they hooked the car up to a laptop just to check and found a slight misfire.

the strange thing is the car has been driving perfectly and neither I nor anyone at Autogas Battersea could detect such a thing.

anyway I had already asked for new platinum plugs to be fitted so hopefully that should sort it out

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (combination meter warning

lights illuminated)

While pressing CLIMATE and AUDIO switches simultaneously, turn the

HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:

OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS

The SYSTEM CHECK will become displayed on the screen. It will take

approx. 30 seconds for the check to be completed - the display will

change from CHECKING to OK

Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU. The DIAGMENU

will be displayed

Starting with the AUDIO button, follow the sequence:

AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION

The SECURITY menu will be displayed. Using the numeric keys enter

440215. Press ENTER

The displaywill return to the DIAGMENU. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to

the OFF position. The security code is now cleared - the unit will

operate normally.

I tried this on my 51 MK2 gs300 without success. It would be nice to know if there is a code in case the Battery has to be disconnected sometime.

The audio satnav system does not have a security code set at the factory the seperate user manual you should have ,instructs the owner to set one if they desire. Instructions are as follows; push Menu switch;touch security on the menu screen When a security number is not registered the screen changes and displays the menu to register a security number.If a number is already registered the screen shows the menu to change the security number.It is a four digit code.

I tried this method without success on my 51 GS300. After pushing Menu, no security switch appears. I've looked through the S/N manual in the audio section but found nowt....yet

post-48132-0-73451100-1381982885_thumb.jpost-48132-0-79891100-1381982929_thumb.jpost-48132-0-65215200-1381982983_thumb.jpost-48132-0-57350800-1381983027_thumb.jpost-48132-0-20737300-1381983087_thumb.jpost-48132-0-05113500-1381983166_thumb.jpost-48132-0-24167800-1381983196_thumb.j

Not the best pics I'm afraid guys, injectors not tucked away under the cover like yours mark,

Runs well, using loads of gas right now, the first 66 miles was lots of sitting in traffic in central london and then a 45 mile run on the A2. Used 23ltrs of gas! (13MPG!) apparently not uncommon with initial setup

Very slight hesitation sometimes when pulling away, i mean very slight.

Comments please.