Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'll get them to confirm this, find it hard to believe that a registered well established installer would fit a dangerous system, but maybe I should get the whole thing checked over by an independent ? The whole reason for this blog was to try and create some clarity around the minefield of conversion/installation. Where should I take it in london? There must be inspectors that check the work of registered installers.

I quite liked the positioning of the LPG filler in the same place as the petrol cap, hidden by the flap.

Now, which installer did that I wonder ?/

do you guys remember that picture, many months ago now on here.??

Malc

Profess on my ls 400 it is very secure & vented the adaptor doesn't cause any problems (I might get a spare one in case I drop it & damage the thread or loose it).post-16507-0-65878400-1382044657_thumb.j

If this really is a dodgy instal then I'm gonna need all the help I can get from you guys, it's one thing to criticise someone's work but if they are acting irresponsibly then that's a different matter and should be stopped!

Just say that you were wondering what it is for thats all.

Getting it independantly inspected may ruffle a few feathers

What you will get will be an answer something like this "people on forums don't know what they are talking about"

If you can find both ends to that pipe that goes to that solenoid I will tell you what it is for

I have had plently of gas cars and have plently of experience in LPG systems to tell you visually if it is safe or not

You know what's quite funny, regarding where the pipe goes in from the filler to the boot, when I got the car the tool box was just floating around in the boot, and it's only now that I've realised where it lives :-) so when I took the car in for the conversion they asked me what that slot was for? I had no idea and thought it might be quite neat to run the pipe through there, ha ha :-) wot a *****! I've only just realised

Hahaha

The way to do it so you don't have the pipe going through the inside of the car like that would be, if you dont mind having a filler so low down is to put it into the bumper.

However the only way to do it is to drill through a vent underneath the boot floor

Namely this one http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_199801_LEXUS_LS400_UCF20R-AEAGKW_6102.html

And you would never know the difference :P

You know what's quite funny, regarding where the pipe goes in from the filler to the boot, when I got the car the tool box was just floating around in the boot, and it's only now that I've realised where it lives :-) so when I took the car in for the conversion they asked me what that slot was for? I had no idea and thought it might be quite neat to run the pipe through there, ha ha :-) wot a *****! I've only just realised

OOPS,

Ok my pennys worth the install is not the neatest (mine from Battersea autogas wan't either). They have one guy on 1 car I believe so 4 days including the manifold removal & replacement would be about right. When you take it in for its 1000 mile set up it should run better & use less fuel .

I think a Y piece with 2 equal length of pipe to the injector rails instead of a T piece would have been better. I am not sure if it makes much difference.

I didn't have any problems with the conversion I had done there in the 5 years I had my last ls400.

I would take it back for its 1000 mile set up & query the solenoid & pipes, They are very approachable at Battersea autogas & I am sure they will address your concerns.

I am at Profess on Saturday If they have time I will get Andrew ( Anjay ) to look at your pics & see what he thinks (shame Leon has gone) I cant promise anything because Saturday is a very busy day down there.

• Like 1

post-16507-0-40896100-1382044513_thumb.j

It should be on the end of the vaporiser with a copper or high pressure plastic gas pipe going into it with screw thread joints

However it may be the shut-off for the valve lube and perfectly innocent

Like this you mean

attachicon.gifpost-16507-0-15925400-1368958637_thumb.jpg

It should be on the end of the vaporiser with a copper or high pressure plastic gas pipe going into it with screw thread joints

However it may be the shut-off for the valve lube and perfectly innocent

Like this you mean

Mine is the same as this.

REPLY FROM BATTERSEA AUTOGAS REGARDING MEMBERS CRITICISM OF THERE LPG INSTALLATION ON MY CAR.

Hi Gary,

here below listed the few key points I want to make clear about what some people of the blog where concerned was not safe, correct or simply not neat.

1. The filler point under petrol flap is not allowed by UKLPG regulations unless in very few occasions where the petrol filler space is manufactured to have enough room to fit the UKLPG approved filling bayonet (I'm not aware of any Lexus in this situation). No use of filling adaptors is permitted for certified LPG conversions and ALL OUR LPG CONVERSIONS ARE CERTIFIED by the main association, we let other installers do dodgy conversions without certificate.

2. The connections from and to the solenoid valve are (as many where thinking) for the main gas supply from the tank to the reducer. The pipe being used is a fairly new technology which together with the traditional and more known copper pipe and elastic pipe can be used as a choice with the advantage to be more resistant and flexible (that's why its name is flexi pipe).

See approved specification and codification written on the pipe itself on picture 1, the assembly on picture 2 and the BRC GB catalogue section correlated to it on picture 3

3. The solenoid valve fitting as mentioned by you too is not hold up to the suspension leg top mount fittings (3 main nuts around the top rubber) but instead the chassis around it (see offside suspension wing where by manufacture Lexus fit the coolant expansion tank to it)

4. LPG injectors visible out of the engine cover due to the nature and the design of the BRC injectors having a slightly longer shape than any other from different makes. However visible they are obviously strongly and securely fitted by metal brackets as every single unit fitted at conversion.

5. I couldn't be more confident about the quality of all of ours LPG conversions. I'd like to suggest you (for your own peace of mind) to contact the main UKLPG inspector John Walker through the official website www.drivelpg.co.uk and book an appointment with the main government with duty to supervise on the works carried out by us approved installers.

6. At present time the new LPG components are going through a settling down process. Any fine tuning required to the system will be carried out as by standard procedure at the 1000 miles free check up in which our team will re-control the whole installation and adjust any little wrong tuning followed by the automatic self adjustment the system is going through from new. Initially it's acceptable to experience minor loss of power, hesitation on pulling away or fluctuations in fuel consumption. Any of these will have to be reported at the 1000 miles check up appointment in order to correct what hasn't settled down perfectly during the 1000 miles interval.

Once again, many thanks for choosing us, for any assistance required please do not hesitate to mail or call me.

Regards

Marco Giachino - Battersea Autogas

post-48132-0-06624400-1382116819_thumb.j

post-48132-0-41945200-1382116862_thumb.j

post-48132-0-32836200-1382116916_thumb.j

REPLY FROM BATTERSEA AUTOGAS REGARDING MEMBERS CRITICISM OF THERE LPG INSTALLATION ON MY CAR.

Hi Gary,

here below listed the few key points I want to make clear about what some people of the blog where concerned was not safe, correct or simply not neat.

1. The filler point under petrol flap is not allowed by UKLPG regulations unless in very few occasions where the petrol filler space is manufactured to have enough room to fit the UKLPG approved filling bayonet (I'm not aware of any Lexus in this situation). No use of filling adaptors is permitted for certified LPG conversions and ALL OUR LPG CONVERSIONS ARE CERTIFIED by the main association, we let other installers do dodgy conversions without certificate.

2. The connections from and to the solenoid valve are (as many where thinking) for the main gas supply from the tank to the reducer. The pipe being used is a fairly new technology which together with the traditional and more known copper pipe and elastic pipe can be used as a choice with the advantage to be more resistant and flexible (that's why its name is flexi pipe).

See approved specification and codification written on the pipe itself on picture 1, the assembly on picture 2 and the BRC GB catalogue section correlated to it on picture 3

3. The solenoid valve fitting as mentioned by you too is not hold up to the suspension leg top mount fittings (3 main nuts around the top rubber) but instead the chassis around it (see offside suspension wing where by manufacture Lexus fit the coolant expansion tank to it)

4. LPG injectors visible out of the engine cover due to the nature and the design of the BRC injectors having a slightly longer shape than any other from different makes. However visible they are obviously strongly and securely fitted by metal brackets as every single unit fitted at conversion.

5. I couldn't be more confident about the quality of all of ours LPG conversions. I'd like to suggest you (for your own peace of mind) to contact the main UKLPG inspector John Walker through the official website www.drivelpg.co.uk and book an appointment with the main government with duty to supervise on the works carried out by us approved installers.

6. At present time the new LPG components are going through a settling down process. Any fine tuning required to the system will be carried out as by standard procedure at the 1000 miles free check up in which our team will re-control the whole installation and adjust any little wrong tuning followed by the automatic self adjustment the system is going through from new. Initially it's acceptable to experience minor loss of power, hesitation on pulling away or fluctuations in fuel consumption. Any of these will have to be reported at the 1000 miles check up appointment in order to correct what hasn't settled down perfectly during the 1000 miles interval.

Once again, many thanks for choosing us, for any assistance required please do not hesitate to mail or call me.

Regards

Marco Giachino - Battersea Autogas

I would back up what Marco says about the use of adaptors. As LPG forecourt engineers, we attend to investigate many instances of customer injury where the users have received a cold burn through using an adaptor.

WOW I have never seen that in the last 10 years of being involved with LPG cars. Must be really new.

I personally don't like it but as long as it doesn't blow off and squirt liquid gas all under the bonnet then I suppose its ok.

At best I would expect to see this

100-177-thickbox.jpg

This is as far as I am aware is the industry standard

UKLPG Self appointed police force over the world of LPG. They like to make you think they are government appointed overseers of the LPG industry. Nothing could be further from the truth.

They have no standing in law and if you can stump up their annual membership fees you can join them as well.

They are a nothing organisation.

WOW I have never seen that in the last 10 years of being involved with LPG cars. Must be really new.

I personally don't like it but as long as it doesn't blow off and squirt liquid gas all under the bonnet then I suppose its ok.

At best I would expect to see this

100-177-thickbox.jpg

This is as far as I am aware is the industry standard

You are correct.

UKLPG a nothing organisation.

Use of filler connectors is still not illegal in this country. Every Continental car that runs on LPG has to have a converting connector. They were going to bring it into the MOT but because of the difficulties with cars coming in from Europe needing to use them made it too difficult so was shelved.

Sorry it just looked like rubber hose & couldn't see it was suitable for LPG ...... But 1/4 ID seems a little small for a V8 especially as the ends will reduce it even more .. Closer to 4mm .. I thought a V8 would need 8mm feed pipe BRC used to use 8mm on everything over 4cyl . Just a thought

• Like 1

Hi guys, the reason I started this blog was an attempt to elevate potential "convertees" of "the only way is Wales" feeling I got from researching this forum when it came to LPG conversions, It was either Profess or Tubbs. In Bluesmans defence he has repeatedly said that although he thought Battersea Autogas were not the neatest, he had no issues with the reliability of there installations. Now know one actually knows everything, and we all deserve to have the right to choose. That said we all want to have "the best" so really the only potential problem is when we get attached to our own choices and get the habit of defending them at all costs. We all do everything we can to ensure that we have made the right choices but if something comes along to threaten the decision we have made we are compelled to defend. It seems that the use of a relatively new advance in gas piping technology has perhaps caused us to review our opinions regarding the way we think things should be done, no problem! Let's embrace it. BRC considered by many to be one of the worlds leading manufacturers of LPG systems list this product in there catalogue and obviously believe in it. Lest we forget we, those of us that have converted are by nature embracers of new technology, that's why we are running our cars on LPG so lets not get stuck on what happened yesterday. I know very little about this whole subject but have learnt so much from you all and this whole experience, and hope that we can all benefit from this blog. Battersea Autogas, Profess, Tubbs and many others do what they can to provide us with the best they can, and it's up to us to choose who ever we think is best at the time we make the decision to convert our cars.

So on this occasion I chose BA, I needed the filler to be where it is because I have a back problem, if this decision meant that the filler pipe must now occupy the space in the boot designed for the tool box so be it, it suited my needs. I also decided that I wanted to have the BRC system which uses a larger size injector, meaning that they could not be hidden by the engine cover, so be it. The installer on this occasion decided to use a fixing point for the solenoid near to where the manufacturer of the car chose to attach the coolant reservoir, so be it. If the system is safe, works well and is reliable, I am more than happy. Hopefully the MPG and very slight hesitation when pulling away that Battersea Autogas have assured me will be corrected when the car goes in for its 1000 mile service will be resolved, then I see no reason to be dissatisfied. I hope that from now on anyone that drives "our cars" living in the London area considering converting there car will not feel that they have to travel a long way to get a professional and safe installation done. I know that all your comments have been said with the best intention and I look forward to learning more and getting advice about the great and unique cars that we drive. P.S. I have to say that without any doubt my car has never driven better!

You pay to become a member of the UKLPG register & can be thrown out by having a number of complaints (this is where it falls apart) its on number of complaints not percentage. So if you are a big installer say doing 1000 conversions a year or a back street outfit doing 25. Lets say the limit is 5 complaints do the maths on percentage of problem conversions.

A lot of complaints may not be down to a bad conversion aswell . You may have weak leads or a weak coil & they could go down due to being converted resulting in a complaint.

Its like my job I work under the RTITB banner or ALMI both organisations do the same thing but they are not law it just shows that I am competent at my job so when I issue a license the person trained has been '' trained by a competent person'' ( which is the only requirement Under the health & safety at work act.)

As for BA & Profess they are both good installers in my experience I had no problems with the install BA done in 60k & 5 years & the install by Profess is very neat & once sorted out hasn't missed a beat in 10K so far so good.

It is thanks to forums like this that we are able to make informed decisions & keeps installers on their toes the wonders of the inter web hey.

• Like 1

UKLPG Self appointed police force over the world of LPG. They like to make you think they are government appointed overseers of the LPG industry. Nothing could be further from the truth.

They have no standing in law and if you can stump up their annual membership fees you can join them as well.

UKLPG have just sent a marketing e-mail out stating you can buy their code of practice books on one CD for a one off, exceptional bargain, one time only, short time offer price of (WAIT FOR IT) £3,000.00

UKLPG have just sent a marketing e-mail out stating you can buy their code of practice books on one CD for a one off, exceptional bargain, one time only, short time offer price of (WAIT FOR IT) £3,000.00

Shall we have one each or share one.

I have driven on LPG now for over 16 years, I have never used anyone who is a member of this self appointed organisations and I have never had a problem with any installation that I have had on my cars or my wifes.

They have hustled their way into the market and conned many, including some insurance companies that cars are not safe unless these systems are installed by one of their members, this is pure rubbish. There have been some dreadful installs by their so called members, one on here by a guy that had to use this company as he was a Taxi and for the council to allow him to use his taxi on LPG a UKLPG member had to do the install, it never worked properly from the word go and it must have gone back over a dozen times and it was never fixed. Apart from a handful of miles it ran on petrol.

So much for a UKLPG member.

So they can keep their £3 grand CD its worthless.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links