Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ct200 Mpg - Whats Your Best Average?

pulsar2008

Picked up my brand new Ct200 Advance last week and already clocked 356 miles, I absolutely love this car! For the first few days I was averaging about 42mpg but since then I have been using a combination of the EV mode and Sport modes and today I reached an average of 60.1mpg (see attached screenshot). What are other people averaging?

post-23824-0-07962200-1381168251_thumb.j

Hi Pulsar2008 !!

glad that your happy with your new baby, I can feel the excitement oozing from your post. I don't want to be a spoilsport, but remember, what you see, is not always really what you see. I am not familiar with the 'Advance', but I have a 2013 CT, I would suspect that the difference is mainly the toys.

During the last 9 months I've clocked up 8470miles - I'm retired, and the car indicates 66mpg, however, in reality I am doing about 59mpg, the readout from the car, for many reasons is generally 2-5% optimistic, hence the use of the word 'indicated', also, mpg depends on how it's driven. I expect now expect 'Mr Jingles', to go about 500miles between fill ups, with a fill up of about 35ltrs. CT's seem to do about 51mpg on average, I would suggest that you go to the ' FUELLY', site to check them out.

I see that it is quite warm where you live, it was 15°c here in northern Italy today and raining. I'll have to move to a more temperate climb, me thinks!

Best wishes.

Michael.

I have had mine since July now and done 6,000 miles. I have not reset the Average MPG since getting it and its currently showing 57mpg. With the other readout which shows the Instant MPG bar plus the Average which resets every time you fill up, that has been 48mpg at worst and 61 at best. I have checked these readings about six times now using the actual amount of fuel put in the tank and have found mine to be out by only 2.5 mpg at the most. I guess these can vary, so check yours and then you know how much to adjust the computed version by.

I understand though that as temperatures fall, the mpg will start to drop off more than you would see in a normal car, so with our unusual warm spell in the UK about to come to an end, it will be interesting to see what happens through the colder months.

It is really addictive though seeing how much you can get to the gallon, never really used to bother in my previous cars, but this makes the journeys that bit more interesting. How much you go up hills will affect the consumption also, I regularly go from Derbyshire up to Leeds and it generally feels like you are climbing on the way up, and I have usually got 50mpg on the display, by the time I have made the journey back its gone up to 58 - seems weirded but I go up every week and its the same!

I DONT KNOW HOW YOU GUYS DO IT. MY AVERAGE IS ABOUT 41 MPG. ALTHOUGH THE GRAPH FIGURES SHOW MY BEST MPG 55.

DO YOU ALL LIVE IN HOLLAND WITH NO HILLS AROUND YOU.

41! You must be living life to the full! On Friday I had to go to Birmingham and back, about 70 mile round trip and I was tight for time and was in Sport and went as quick as I could without risk of being in serious trouble - nothing overtook me and had the traction control kick in several times, and I still could not get the average for the Journey below 43mpg

We have owned our CT for more than 2 years@ 12,000 miles a year. Our best is 71.5 mpg tank full to tank full with 74mpg showing on the computer in the car , warm weather, no ac, single carriageway A roads following heavy lorries doing 40 mph.. Our worst was 43mpg tank full to tank full with 45 mpg on the computer in cold wet weather with a lot of motorway work intermixed with lots of braking and accelerating with a relatively new engine ( less than 5000). Like most machines, it does what it is asked to do. In every case I can see good reasons for both high and low comsumptiion figures. I wouldnt pay too much attention to consumption figures until the car has covered 5 to 7 thousand miles since the modern lubricant the Lexus uses seems to make running in period a lot longer than one would expect from vehicles of yesteyear

We haven't done a full tank to full tank work out but will do.

Most of the time the air con is on, possible to have some effect on consumption.

Mine runs with air con switched on the whole time. Keep the car in "normal" and try and keep the gauge out of power as much as you can, lift off and coast to a standstill as much as you can before applying the brakes harder - it's amazing how far you can go without upsetting other road users. If you keep the instant fuel consumption on the display, it's surprising how much difference a lighter touch on the throttle makes, as does cruising at 70 rather than 80.

More than any other car I have had the more effort you put in the much higher the returns. I used to have a Deisel Astra which did 47 mpg in normal driving and if I drove it like an absolute saint did not go above 52mpg.

Many talk about their CT200h doing height 60's, but usually rush hour driving and needing to be somewhere in a reasonable hurry keeps me from joining them, but 'Wass' has set down the gauntlet to see if I can get over 70!

• Like 1

We haven't done a full tank to full tank work out but will do.

Most of the time the air con is on, possible to have some effect on consumption.

Mine runs with air con switched on the whole time. Keep the car in "normal" and try and keep the gauge out of power as much as you can, lift off and coast to a standstill as much as you can before applying the brakes harder - it's amazing how far you can go without upsetting other road users. If you keep the instant fuel consumption on the display, it's surprising how much difference a lighter touch on the throttle makes, as does cruising at 70 rather than 80.

More than any other car I have had the more effort you put in the much higher the returns. I used to have a Deisel Astra which did 47 mpg in normal driving and if I drove it like an absolute saint did not go above 52mpg.

Many talk about their CT200h doing height 60's, but usually rush hour driving and needing to be somewhere in a reasonable hurry keeps me from joining them, but 'Wass' has set down the gauntlet to see if I can get over 70!

I didnt mean to set down the gauntlet. Our best was set in ideal circumstances which I recognised as such. The heavy lorries in front of me took all the anger out of the " following a blinking hybrid" scenario, we had plenty of time all week, traffic was relatively light in that we caught the magic hour before the school run started and yet the early morning commuters had long gone with the lorries timing their journeys to coincide with their clients factoriy goods received depts opening...between 7.00 and 8.00 in the morning.. Despite managing 71.5 once, I have never been able to best it or even equal it. I think that the closest I came was a 70.and a couple of 69s I wouldnt have thought that it would be possible to get close in the current lower ambient temperatures.

I didnt mean to set down the gauntlet. Our best was set in ideal circumstances which I recognised as such. The heavy lorries in front of me took all the anger out of the " following a blinking hybrid" scenario, we had plenty of time all week, traffic was relatively light in that we caught the magic hour before the school run started and yet the early morning commuters had long gone with the lorries timing their journeys to coincide with their clients factoriy goods received depts opening...between 7.00 and 8.00 in the morning.. Despite managing 71.5 once, I have never been able to best it or even equal it. I think that the closest I came was a 70.and a couple of 69s I wouldnt have thought that it would be possible to get close in the current lower ambient temperatures.

It's set me thinking though. At work we are looking for different ways to raise funds for our charity of the year "Alzheimer's Society". As I run a company car I get a mileage rate of 17p a mile, this being the standard rate for a Petrol car. Now that equates to about 38mpg. So I am going to set myself a challenge for November, as I cover about 1200 business miles a month I am going to donate the profit to the charity and our company does matched giving making it even better. So here's the incentive I need to see how well I can do . Might be late for the odd meeting though! Hope the cold weather does not come too soon and drop the mpg. Waiting until November as I might get some of my colleagues involved as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I bought the CT200h three months ago, its on an 11 plate and had 22,000 miles on the clock when bought. It was a car for my wife as she works close to home that is across town, so thought the option of the hybrid engine would be ideal over a diesel.

Been disappointed so far on the mpg as getting about 40mpg to it, now I know what you are all thinking, my wife must be pulling away full throttle sport mode at every opportunity, however knowing her this is not her style. I've used it on numerous occassions and I am on motorway to work in reasonably busy traffic, so stay with the lorries at 50-60 mph, even then cannot get anywhere near the high 50's, never mind the high 60's.

The car is a dream to drive, we went to Cornwall in it in Sept, and the 300+ mile trip down there was as comfortable as you could get in a car this size, however again, didn't get too impressive mpg.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Thanks,

Surfer

Whilst I have been trying to be extra careful, the colder weather is having more impact but still getting 55mpg. My tip would be to try and keep the blue background lighting on the instruments on as long as possible, as soon as it goes out you can see that your not being really efficient. Then always try lifting off much earlier than you would normally do when coming up to a junction, traffic light etc, its amazing how far you can go without impacting on anyone following you.

Hi had my lexus 6 weeks now and have been keeping an eye on mpg the vehicle is a 2013 with 4900 miles on the clock when l got it and now it has 5000 i left the forecourt with hafe a tank and filled up and have re filled every week since and would say working out on a spread sheet the avarage i get is 50mpg the trip shows anything from 46 49 the nav displays 60 i new when buying the car that living in sheffield 50 was what i was expecting but i expect it will get even less in the coming weeks when the weather gets colder

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've had my Ct for four years now. As a rough guide In winter I average 45mpg, in summer 52mpg. I do use the car mainly for short runs where the engine has barely warmed up, so I am possibly a worse case scenario. On longer motorway journeys I average 55 mpg. On 'A' and 'B' roads I have seen over 65, but mostly they are 60. Hope this helps.

I'm just about to hand back my company Prius for a CT200h.

Over the lifetime of the car, I've averaged just over 60mpg in 45,000 miles of mixed driving. My tankful record is just over 73mpg.

You do have to adapt your driving style, but the claimed mileage of Toyota/Lexus hybrids is perfectly achievable.

I'm guessing it depends where you live, our CT has improved slightly, mid 40's is the long term average, rarely over 50mpg (may be once or twice in 2 years). But the car rarely runs on Battery and its very hilly / narrow roads where we live, in fairness a none hybrid car would probably suit our area better. But its a nice car to drive, understated, and the mpg is OK.

6 weeks / 1500 miles in and so far best tank was 53.3 , worst is 48.8 and average is 50.9

Not bad, and I had hoped for around 50 average. If I just drove it would be better, but my partner had lead feet and also works shifts, so drives when the roads are quieter i.e. she cruises at 80+ - not the best usage for a hybrid

I've had my Ct for four years now. As a rough guide In winter I average 45mpg, in summer 52mpg. I do use the car mainly for short runs where the engine has barely warmed up, so I am possibly a worse case scenario. On longer motorway journeys I average 55 mpg. On 'A' and 'B' roads I have seen over 65, but mostly they are 60. Hope this helps.

Ditto that Goggy. I have seen 60mpg on motorway run but average around 52mpg round town.

I am always in normal mode with occasional sport mode when needed.