Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dreaded Oil Question

Caspermx5

hi

I have a is200se with 117000 miles. I need to change the oil but am confused as to what oil to put in as I have read so many different things due to the mileage. semi synthetic, fully synthetic, 0w30 5w30 5w40 10w40..

Which one is the best oil to use in my engine?

Thanks

Luke

manual states 10/30 or 5/30 semi/synthetic.

I have run 120k myself on my 160k engine with Mobil 1 5w 30 fully synthetic engine oil at 10k oil changes strictly.

engine is almost quiet as the IS300 & many other IS200 models, drives like when I had it at 40k!

• 2 weeks later...

Had enough of trying to decide which oil to use in my is300, semi or full synthetic?? Last change I used semi as thought it would be better for the engine on start up but can still hear an annoying rattle for a second or two when engine started from cold (is that normal?) Thinking maybe put fully syn in this time instead, what you reckon?

Also, how the hell do I get the oil filter off! it's buried! Paid a local garage to do it last time as could see no easy way of getting to it..

5w 30. valvoline synpower from euro car parts. i thought the amounts were 3.9L before oil filter 4.1L with?

The 300 takes just over 5 litres with filter. Is the oil you suggest full or semi?

Went for Castrol Magnetec 5/30 fully synthetic in the end, engine appears to be a lot smoother.

good choice

Got 6 litres and oil filter for £39.73 from Eurocarparts, and paid local garage £25 to do the job!

• 3 weeks later...

Went for Castrol Magnetec 5/30 fully synthetic in the end, engine appears to be a lot smoother.

What were you running before?? Edge is ok but I still found I got tappet noise on start up on cold mornings. Switched to Mobil1 5W30 & the problem went away. Using Motul 8100 5W30 now. I'm at 95K m.

For the OP any reputable semi or full syn 10W30 or/& 5W30 will be fine. Most off the shelf fully syn will be good for up to 10K m intervals, semi 6K & mineral 3K.

Used a semi synthetic last time (cant remember the make) thinking that it would stop that brief engine noise on cold start ups but it didn't, so used the magnetec full this time. Still hasn't got rid of that annoying noise but engine feels and drives like silk. Will def use that oil again.

Why would you use Catrol again if it hasn't got rid of the noise? Try Motul 8100 or Mobil1 next time & I bet the noise will disapere. The engine will feel even smoother & quieter, you'd be amased at how much better Motul & even M1 is compared to Castrol. Magnatec & Edge 5W30 are made from hydrocracked/group 3 based stocks where as Motul 8100 & M1 are made from PAO/Group4 base stocks (real synthetic). Group 3 is modified mineral oil.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links