Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Rattle/noise @1800 Rpms When In Gear - ?timing Belt Tensioner?

roop999

I have a 200k mile year 2000 lexus is 200. Works perfectly normal after having issues earlier this year- replaced transmission. But have a long standing noise from engine bay . It is only there when in drive{automatic} and not when idling in park/neutral. It occurs @1800-2000rpms when the car is under load and disappears when accelerating. No recent engine issues- the car runs fine but this noise is a nuisance. It sounds like a bearing is about to "shell out"!

Done the following

1. a/c compressor on/off NO DIFFERENCE

2. listened to water /power steering pump sound ok

3. ALTERNATOR - bearing sounds violently loud through the screw driver and while idling the voltmeter on the dash drops sometimes almost under 12volts. When there is a current draw if my aftermarket music system is blasting(amp and sub and all!)- the amp even cuts off as voltage goes under 12.1volts. This never happened before. I have an Optima yellow top Battery so no real current issues.

4. TIMING BELT- I removed the cover from the timing belt area. A lot of debris from the belt! i have changed the timing belt twice but never the tensioner ! Is this whats been causing my noise? Of course i am going to change belt and tensioner . Should i also change the idler? The belt was changed 20 000miles ago.

Has anyone heard this noise before?

Any help?

My mechanic thinks its probably engine noise from camshaft or a bad piston?

very perturbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need some advice /guidance !!!

Hi Shaun

Not know much about car but i think you should have the timing belt fix.

best to have a timing kit install as you say there's "a lot of debris from the belt" (usually the tension has gone and the belt is grinding the cover somewhere)

it would be a major big job if the belt snap

these mine when the seller told it has been changed :arrrggg-matey:

">http://prob1_zps96bd3fbd.jpg

">http://prob2_zps5b5fdf21.jpg

good luck

depends on what kind of noise you got. hard to say without hearing it.

the tensioner could be the culprit or water pump bearing under load.

if you cold somehow put a video up, it would help us all.

Yeah, you didnt say you checked the water pump. but ill be honest, im worried for you after saying you havent changed tensioners. Its a well known cause of problems particularly with these cars.