Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermitent Blue Smoke

seangrant50

I have a 57 plate is220d with 114000 miles on the clock....

A few weeks ago I noticed an awful cloud off blue smoke coming out of the exhaust under acceleration, as soon as i lifted off the accelerator it cleared immediately, when i put my foot down again nothing, no smoke at all. Now i have noticed this issue a few times, but mainly it was after hard accelerating after either sitting at traffic lights or stuck behind very slow moving traffic (30mph for example)

But on Sunday me and a few mates where away and driving along at 70 mph with cruise control on started going up a hill and the elusive blue smoke again.... so much so my mate following behind phoned me to alert me. It doesn't do it every time, mostly within 5 miles of first starting the car. but on Sunday this was the first time it happened after a 60 mile trip.

I have removed the egr valve and it was still clean from the last time.

a friend run a full diagnostic check and there are no faults showing what so ever.

inspected the turbo and there is no play, or rub marks inside it.

and i am assuming the dpf filter should be clean, i know supposed to clear itself after a long run. 4 months ago i drive from N Ireland to Germany and its was a very speedy run on the continent i don't the the speedo was under 100 for over 2 hours so that should of regenerated it.

I am a complete loss so before i book it into Lexus and pay them vast amounts off money to maybe tell me what wrong can anyone out there help me?

You don't mention any history of any previous work done. Last year I had a new engine put in free by Lexus. The new engine has modified components including piston rings. I suspect that you are burning oil? Mine gave off blue smoke on hard acceleration, consumed oil, and finally blew the head gasket! Do you see radiator fluid around the engine bay? I am not sure whether Lexus are doing any free work on these cars anymore or reduced the warranty period. My worry for you is that the catalytic converter could also get damaged with oil contamination and that is expensive with all the DPF etc. I suggest you get it looked into, these are well known problems with this car.

I would think it is an indication that your head gasket is failing - get it checked out asap

A failed cat or cats on these (there are two) cannot be replaced independent of the exhaust itself, the centre exhaust piece needs to be replaced at a cost of £1500 (yes, that's £1500 and not a typing error) and also comes with a 2 week wait for the part!

Thanks For the reply's.

As far as im aware there has been no engine work done to this car, and i did check with Lexus and there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle

I have head the water in the radiator tested and the head gasket isn't leaking. As i said i left it to my mate who is an excellent mechanic and he run a full diagnostic check and could find anything wrong at all.

He inspected the turbo

test for head gasket

plug in the fancy computer and everything is operating as it should be.....

i my have to bite the bullet and leave it into Lexus because he did say that they might be able to check different parameters that he cant.

• 5 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links