Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"trip" Option Greyed Out When Moving

GS300 sat nav. "Trip" option greys out when the vehicle is moving. It only comes on again if the vehicle is stopped. I think that is pants. If you want to change to audio or map and then go back to the trip summary you can't. Anyone know if there is "wire snip" that will keep all the buttons active ?

Colin, It's the trip computer I mean.

Glyn - W reg 2000.

The Trip button is greyed out when on the move and lights up again when stopped.

I think this is daft as it's only a button press to get back to Trip.

Considering you can add Points of Interest on the map whilst moving (and that is far more dangerous) it doesn't make sense.

I tried to overcome this on my GS 430, but failed. What I did was I locate the speed senser wire from the gearbox which supplies the SAT/NAV computer. (Sporties son laying in the boot with a multimeter whilst I drove up and down the road)

I then fitted a timer (Kit from Maplin) to disconect the senser feed for a set time (25seconds) to enable changing of routes etc. Now this did sort of work, however the system in the Lexus also uses the Sats to work out your position.

So when I disconected the speed senser wire the computer would see this and switch to the Sats to workout position, speed etc.

This resulted in most of the times of only periods of 12 seconds before the options greyed out and you were back to square one (as the sats took over). Sometimes it took longer, guess that was how many SAT's the system could see at the time.

I was thinking about disconecting the SAT aerial at the same time as the speed senser to effectively make the device blind.

However I sold the car and now use TOMTOM software on an ipaq, much better than the poor Lexus system.

Hope this helps answer your question ;)