Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Key Fob

Hey guys this is my first post as I've only just bought my IS and Sod's law the key fob has just happened to crack where the key meets the plastic. I saw on eBay you can buy replacement uncut keys without the eclectronics inside, can I just take that to a key cutter and get it cut without them having to reprogram it as I've been quoted a whopping £140! Any advice would be appreciated :)

hi,as already said,just buy a blank key fob(try top fobs on eBay)have it cut and transfer the electronics/transponder to the new one,and all should be okay.if you have any problems am sure you won't be short of advice from here.

The only issue I have with that is if I do take apart my original (which isn't the master but was the only know I was given when I bought the car) is that badly damaged that I won't be able to reassemble it after, then having no key.

what do you call badly damaged?the transponder is a complete unit,held together by two screws inside the fob,so if that is in itself not damaged then you shouldn't have a problem,just unscrew the fob from near the top of the blade take out the transponder and put it in the new fob.

Just the casing tbh but with that be damaged if I do unscrew it they'll be a very slim chance it will go back together if it doesn't work. But ill head In to town and get one cut and give it a try. Thanks again mate

Jut been down to my local key cutter and they said they won't cut blanks!! Something about if it's not a genuine key then if you have problems we can't be liable. So it's £140 or you have to go elsewhere. Felt like I was being taken for mug. Iv rang up another place but they were closing but will do it Monday evening for me so I'll try then. Cheers guys

To be honest with you,you will come across that,I did,went to a place I had previously used and was told they no longer cut them because can't guarantee they will work as they didn't supply them and can't be held responsible either,I know a mobile guy that does will pm you his number if you need it.

It was the same company I used, she looked very smug as she said it aswell, as if to say well I'm about to have you pants down! Oh well I'd much rather go to a smaller family business on Monday

HI JBird,

I had the same problem with Timpsons they will only cut keys supplied by them but any other sole trader will cut them for you and it will be much cheaper i bought a flip key from eBay for about £5 and it think it cost £7 to get it cut

Not close at all 'lexus loon' lol but thank you for the help guys. Iv done the same thing 'adammarriot' bought an eBay blank and will try another key cutter. 'Scudney' has pm'd me a mobile key cutters details if all else fails.

Glad I joined the forum now guys, appreciate all the help!

there's a locksmith i use (b'ham city center) that cut and supply Lexus key fob case or supply by customer.

very nice gentlemen, did ask him why some locksmith don't do uncut key fob supply by customer especially bought from fleabay :shifty: .. he just answer "bcos it might damaged their machines router bit wouldn't take any risk or they just don't have the proper cutting machines" :geek:

Hey Pete.

Not sure if I am allowed to ask this.. I live in Birmingham as well and my key has just snapped.

Can you help?

Ask away....sure Pete can help with a contact number ect.

hi of course you are,you can buy a blank key fob off the bay(try top fobs) and you should be able to have it cut in Birmingham if not I know a mobile guy.

Hey Pete.

Not sure if I am allowed to ask this.. I live in Birmingham as well and my key has just snapped.

Can you help?

Hey Pete.

Can you help?

Ask away....sure Pete can help with a contact number ect.

:P sorry guys for the late reply

as i'm permitted to give out the information here are the detail

B'ham Master Locksmiths

No.1A Pershore Street

B'ham

B5 4RU

0121 632 5270