Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Common Is200 Problems After 100K Miles? Lpg Gas Conversion?

BenU

Hi,

I've owned my IS200 for about 7 years, it's a 2001 x-reg with just under 105,000 on the clock. My wife is a bit scared to drive it after a couple of bad skids on ice (rear-wheel drive culpable, I think) but I still love it.

However, I've recently thought I should p/x and buy a small used diesel like a Peugeot 206 to cut fuel bills. On reflection though, I thought I could maybe keep the IS and add an LPG system.

I plan to emigrate in about 5 years time so I really only need the car (our second car - we have a bigger family car) to do about 50,000 more miles; my only worry is that it might have some major (expensive) problems in the next 50K? With its 100K service due (cam belt) and the LPG installation I'll be sinking roughly 2000 into the car which is less than buying a much newer Peugeot but if it has any major problems I don't want to keep pouring money into the IS when it's not worth any resale...

Do you know of any common problems with the IS between 100K and 150K (or even 200K) miles?

Does anyone have one that's been successfully converted to LPG?

Thus far (touch wood!) I've not had any serious problems. It needs some reconditioned alloys and has been through lots of tires and twice has had problems starting (plus my key's snapped) but otherwise it's been bullet-proof.

Any advice??

Thanks,

Ben

from various threads on here it looks like the IS's dont take LPG well due to thier Inline configration and other factors. best to sell the IS for a GS430 V8 as its been proved the V8 engines handles LPG very well and 100k on a Toyota V8 engine is still like new. but you might have to do your calculations well as you confirm you will be migrating in 5 years time as LPG pays off if you are dong more miles per year and if it cost say £2000 to £3000 to LPG the car and will take about 4 to 5 years to actually reaping the benefits of the initial money invested then its false economy as you would have migrated before you can start benefitting from having the conversion done.

Thank for the reply. The LPG installer claims he's done tons of Lexus installations and others with in-line engine configurations and that when done properly using the proper equipment they work great; he also gives a 2 year warranty on the work; also, by my calculations the LPG savings (50 quid a month) should pay off the installation in 2 years (1200) or 4 years (including the 100k service and the loan interest).

It's not much of an economy though. I guess the main question is will my Lexus survive 50K more without major issues?

Any ideas?

If you maintain it at the correct intervals replace any wear and tear parts that just comes with owning any car i cant see it having any reliability issues (wouldnt vow for the peugot tho). Saying that parts for a Peugeot would be alot cheaper in terms or wear and tear - suspension, brakes, sensors, bearings etc.

however you say you want a small diesel to have lower running costs but in reality how much are you going to save? £30 or 40 quid a month? is it really worth it? especially if you get a car with flat rate tax. just do the math is all im saying. my car bills arent much more compared to when i had a R reg diesel car

I think your right about the LPG, the conventional way doeesnt agree with the IS but more complicated (and expensive) systems are available.

Mine is now on 141k miles and runs perfect, and fully expect it to continue to do so.

If you're looking at a 5 year plan though, you need to work out how much money you're really going to save. If you buy a smaller diesel you're more than likely going to spend more money buying it, so you'll need to do lots of miles to make that back - not to mention what you'll loose in depreciation. Your lexus has done all of it's depreciation now, and it won't go much lower.

I personally say, it's not really worth it financially for the small amount you may save over the next 5 years. Don't forget other running costs too, the Lexus won't cost a lot as they don't go wrong much. But a Peugeot? Well that's another story!!