Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Dead?

matt-c

Came out this morning, car wouldn't start. Couple slow turns and the dreaded click-click-click.

Haven't used the car since last weekend, but it's been left this long before with no problems, and it's not like it's been ridiculously cold either.

Nothing left on (that I can tell) like lights or anything.

could have a garage replacement if it has a 3 year warranty

read on others forum say it could be few reason

-: alternator

-: earth ground cable

-: Battery not recharging

most reply are they just replace the Battery :P

do let us know how the car getting on and hope it's nothing serious Matt

No idea about warranty - I didn't fit the Battery. It's an Toyota branded Battery, so possibly even original?! After a jump start and letting it sit idling for 20-30 mins, then driving it 10-15, I had to two stops to make, and it started fine both times. Forgot to see what the volt gauge on the dash said before I jumped it, but it was pretty stable while running (on the small mark just below the halfway mark between 9 and 18 on the gauge). Possibly new Battery time, which I'd rather avoid, as I put a new Battery on my last two cars each winter, so I bought a charger from Halfrauds (20% discount thanks to trade card though!) and am now charging it in the back garden - a bit pikey-style, but I can't charge it on the car (I'd have to trail extension leads across a pavement, and someone will probably trip and sue me)

It's probably because it doesn't get used a lot, and when it does it's lots of little (many under 10 min) journeys. Hopefully a full charge will give it a new lease of life, or at least postpone buying a new one

post-44222-0-84658400-1383997114_thumb.p

i had a new Battery before xmas arrived last year was still the origin Battery before the change.

great set up you got there Matt hope the neighbor cat stay away not mess about

do you need to top up the ion water before/after the Battery charged?

electric fork lift at work low on power need top-up with water before/after Battery charged and always sound like kettle boiling water :lol:

• 3 months later...

Dead again last night. Last used Sunday (I think), and it wasn't super slow to turn over then (that I recollect). Unipart quoted me £54 inc for a new Battery, with 3 yr warranty, so I'm thinking I might just get that, chuck it in, charge the Toyota Battery and keep it as a spare should it die again. Least it'll be easier to jump it from a spare Battery than it is from my work van (thank god I've got the work van - can't use it for private use, but at least I can jump from it!)

Well, it's genuine Toyota, but I guess that doesn't mean it's the original day one Battery. However, I don't think I have a replacement Battery receipt in the history folder, and I have receipts for most things there, so who knows?

Was slow to start this evening, drove it for around 35-45 mins, left it for 5hrs or so, and it started happily enough later on. Against my better judgement, it was only driven for a few mins before making another stop, but thankfully it started quite happily again a short while later. So using that, I assume the alternator is fine and doing it's job.

The volt meter on the dash is reporting just under halfway between the 9 and 18 (which I assume is close enough to 12/13) when running (I keep forgetting to look at it before turning it over!!!) with the lights, heater, and radio on. Kept away from AC and rear demister, just so as not to run too much stuff while it's low.

Will charge it up tomorrow and overnight, and see how it fares from there. Wanna price up a Halfords Battery, with trade discount, before committing to the Unipart one (even though that's a good price from Unipart), and might ring Lexus Woodford just to see what their price is....

You have checked the Battery with a multimeter to see if there is untoward current drain whilst standing I assume? I once had big problems, and it was the boot light on all the time!

I haven't, no. I had wondered if something was draining it, but everything I can see seems to be working properly/not staying on etc (although I hadn't looked at the boot light!)

Hi,how old is the battery(do you know?)if give or more years change it.After 5 years wouldn't trust any Battery especially in winter as will die on you sooner rather than later .

• 8 months later...

You have checked the battery with a multimeter to see if there is untoward current drain whilst standing I assume? I once had big problems, and it was the boot light on all the time!

I had a dead Battery and when the AA came out the guy reckoned I had a current drain too but he couldn't pinpoint it. How did you find out that it was the boot light and how did you ensure that the boot light only came on when the boot was opened rather than constantly please?

You have checked the battery with a multimeter to see if there is untoward current drain whilst standing I assume? I once had big problems, and it was the boot light on all the time!

I had a dead Battery and when the AA came out the guy reckoned I had a current drain too but he couldn't pinpoint it. How did you find out that it was the boot light and how did you ensure that the boot light only came on when the boot was opened rather than constantly please?

Open the ski hatch and look inside?

Well a year after starting this topic and umpteen recharges, I succumbed today and bought a new Battery. Was quoted around £57-£60 from Motex (Unipart was the same price before they closed down), and Euro Car Parts had a "Lion" Battery for £59, but decided to go for a Bosch Battery at £70 (from ECP) because it's a trusted brand (never heard of Lion) and also it had 4 years guarantee instead of three. Bit more than I wanted to spend, as I'm sure I'm going to kill it in a couple years, because of the type of use the car gets..... I guess we'll see!

• Like 1

Bosch car batteries for my IS200SE are cheaper in CostCo than anywhere I else I could find. They are around £57...but I had already bought a new one in ECP unfortunately. Same 4 year guarantee applies too.