Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can A Replacement Stereo Look Ok In Dashboard?

As the standard unit seems to be 'ERR3'-dead, I'm thinking of taking it out and replacing it with an after-market unit.

The issue that I foresee is that the std. unit it 'double-deck', so taller than the replacement unit - how can this be made to look ok? Any suggestions/fotos of what others have done, plse?

Get a double din stereo or buy a standard size unit and purchase the facia kit from eBay.

Double din looks far better and more natural though.

Also bear in in mind if you have the se or sport model you will need to bypass the amp otherwise you will lose superior sound quality.

Not sure why, but I hate double DIN head units - I think they look ridiculous in these days and times. The CD player's days must surely be numbered - an in-car head unit only needs to be about 1x2 inches these days - a display and a USB socket is all you really need - controls should all be on the steering wheel...

@peteshawn that's one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen on this forum . Most new cars these days have large 7 - 10 inch screens for the sound entertainment system .

Plus when you get a double din with built in say nav, TV/DVD and reverse camera it brings the is200 dashboard alive. Single CD players look so tacky and dated.

Doesn't almost every modern car come with double din head unit nowadays? Or even larger screens. As mentioned they modernise the look of the dash and are great for entertainment and reversing camera.

Seems a bit harsh that Pete got the flak as I thought it was me that made the comment !?

I just can't see why you'd need a 7-10 inch screen for 'audio', and TV/DVD is illegal for the front of the car in the UK. Sat Nav/Reversing camera maybe, but even then I'm not a fan of reversing cameras - another reason for drivers to be less attentive of the real world (in my opinion). I learnt to reverse a car before I passed my test, and if I can't see enough behind me, I tend to get out and have a look...

As Pete said, not trying to start an argument, just sticking up for the humble single DIN head unit 8-)

• 1 month later...

Here's mine. It has DVD and and TV. It's not illegal as long as it's off whilst driving. Mine turns off the TV and DVD as soon as you release the handbrake.

D71C8619-448F-4C62-9175-78D946B6FB78_zps

EDEC6E84-032A-4E82-935E-56AF27AC7115_zps

6035C073-8EE7-4280-BF90-24F4A084D1D6_zps

I know I'm bias but I think this is as good as an aftermarket unit can look. It looks OEM :)

Looks OK, but definitely not my cup of tea. :)

Have you thought about swapping your heated seat and traction control buttons around? I did mine when I fitted the stereo and it just seems to make so much more sense - it looked really odd when I saw it in your pic!

• 2 weeks later...