Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

6Th Gear Struggling & Trembling

koppatroppa2002

not sure why most IS220d drivers feel the need to use 6th gear?? this is an overdrove gear which I believe has a ratio to pull or cruise at a specific speed range which I believe is maybe 80mph and above so if 5th gear happily cruises without any strain on the engine with regards to revs then why try to use 6th gear if 5th does the job by comfortably cruising and picking up speed when needed around 60-70mph?

No not really Ganesh, I just remember it struggled at 65-70 in 6th.

And Noby if you buy a car with 6 gears you expect to be able to use 6 gears. Nowhere does it mention 6th being any kind of "special gear" or "overdrive" gear. It's just poor gear ratio design from Lexus/Toyota

I understand what you saying Chris and its not a special gear but it is an over drive gear it is intended for cruising once speed has been built up. the IS220d has 5 direct gears to assist in acceleration and 1 overdrive(cruising) gear. this is the same principal as the 6 speed you have in the IS200. an overdrive is mainly for cruising and extracting as much mpg out of a vehicle and not intended for accelerating but this is debatable depending on final drive ratio , engine characteristics and power band. this is why Catalin can not accelerate his car instantly in 6th gear until he 'floors' it. though a car can accelerate gradually in an overdrive gear its not intended for flooring but direct gears will.

• Like 1

No not really Ganesh, I just remember it struggled at 65-70 in 6th.

And Noby if you buy a car with 6 gears you expect to be able to use 6 gears. Nowhere does it mention 6th being any kind of "special gear" or "overdrive" gear. It's just poor gear ratio design from Lexus/Toyota

Finally a proper answer I'll say !! Cheers m8

I understand what you saying Chris and its not a special gear but it is an over drive gear it is intended for cruising once speed has been built up. the IS220d has 5 direct gears to assist in acceleration and 1 overdrive(cruising) gear. this is the same principal as the 6 speed you have in the IS200. an overdrive is mainly for cruising and extracting as much mpg out of a vehicle and not intended for accelerating but this is debatable depending on final drive ratio , engine characteristics and power band. this is why Catalin can not accelerate his car instantly in 6th gear until he 'floors' it. though a car can accelerate gradually in an overdrive gear its not intended for flooring but direct gears will.

Good explanation but my really worries was why its trembling like, fir a new Lexus driver, 1st thought was I have a problem somewhere !! Bad reaction from a car to be honest! Plus never floor it just doesn't pull but very graduate and slowly, but pulls. Again my concern was the trembling think...well I'm better now when I see thar .."its normal" ...lol

Cheers guys

I had a 220d. Have to say I only ever used 6th driving on the continent.

At 70 mph or a little over I always stuck to 5th for the superior sounding/feeling drive. If it ain't right to use 6th...then don't...least that's how I approached it. The revs were not high in 5th doing 75mph.

Any car pulls harder from its torque peak RPM and since I have not driven the IS220d I am not sure which RPM the engine sits when cruising at 75 and shift up to 6th gear. IS220d’s peak torque (pulling power) comes in at 2000RPM and if 6th gear causes the engine RPM to fall below 2000rpm at a cruising speed of 75mph then the car has fallen below its ‘power band’ in other words the RPM which the car can accelerate with ease and the struggling & trembling you experience is a result of this as the engine is now being laboured. But drop it to 4th or even 5th for the RPM needle to rise up to around 2000RPM and floor the throttle and you will feel that 400NM of tourque pin you down the seat for about a second or two. 2008 BMW 320d which has the same BHP as the IS is also a 6 speed but the difference between the 2 cars in terms of performance is the torque delivery. The 320d’s torque comes in at 1750RPM so if this car is cruising at 75MPH in 6th gear with RPM sitting at a lazy 1750rpm it will take off once the throttle is floored in this gear and will not experience the struggling & trembling due to being in its ‘power band’ or torque peak RPM and also lighter in weight compared to the IS. If this answers why the similar BMW pulls instantly in 6th at lower RPM’s and gear ratio and final drive ratio also contributes to this. And as Normski confirmed the revs are quite low at 5th anyway so Lexus might have got the ratios right that 6th was a redundant gear but thought they throw it in anyway as they know what European car journalists are like.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links