Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Guys

As I have just started to use this forum...excellent is the only word for it...I wish I had started to use it BEFORE I bought my Lexus LS 430 back in Dec 2007. Yes I have had it nearly six years now.

I have been intrigued by the debate whether LS400 Mk 4 or LS430 is better. I do not know LS400 as the 430 is my first Lexus ( previously Mercedes only )

My experience so far is that I enjoy the LS430 ( an 04 plate ) and would not change it for any other brand...but here's what it has gone wrong with since 2007

June 2010 AC compressor and the pipes cost to replace £1800

Aug 2010 Driver side mirror replacement cost to replace £380

Aug 2010 Oxygen sensor ..bank1 whatever that is cost £180

Oct 2010 rear height sensors cost to replace £740

Aug 2011 Front inside parking sensor cost to replace £270

Jan 2012 Oxygen sensor ...bank2 cost to replace £265

Now Reversing Camera f.....d

This is on top regular servicing and all work done by Lexus dealers....yes yes I should have known better!

Still I like the car and keep thinking surely nothing else seriously expensive can go wrong!

But one thing is for sure I will be having the car serviced independently in future and still paying for the Lexus prices for the parts!

Good luck to those considering LS430

I hope this helps. The LS I own now is my 2nd. Both were Mark 4's. When I sold the 1st one, (biggest mistake I made) The plan was to bypass the LS430 and go for LS460 or 600. both these cars were beautiful. I looked at two of each. Then found the one I own now. I was very lucky to find this one. I thought nothing could beat the 1st one. How wrong I was. Don't get me wrong, the 460 and 600 were lovely cars. But there is just something about the 400 mark 4. They say Lexus was at its peak with this model.

• Like 1

I too have considered the Ls430 a few years back, but after reading a lot of 'horror' stories, I'll just stick with the MKIV. I have driven a Ls430 a few times and must say - The extra gadgets are very nice, but I do prefer the MKIV 400

I have had my MK4 for nearly a month now and not one thing has gone wrong with it

It has 254000 on the clock now and it is great

Just had the A/C gassed up too by ATS and it is like arctic conditions inside my car now !!!

Cannot fault it

It does seem to me that the Mk4 400 was the peak of Lexus getting it right.

I do not need a car with reversing cameras, I was given a head that can turn, and I do need a fridge or the option of Citreon suspension, or TV's in the car (never worked out how to drive and watch Telly at the same time).

It does seem that like any good product - take the iPOD as an example - first ones okay, 2nd gen a lot better, and then apple want to add bells and whistles and they spoilt the decent sound by using cheaper chips and so on and more stuff to distract from listening to music. So Lexus add more stuff to distract from driving IMHO

So the MK4 is a classic example of 'Why fix it when it ain't broke', and I guess Lexus marketing needed to feel they were keeping up with the Germans. I assume if the Germans ever decide to add corner sofas to their barges, then the Lexus guys might even try.

The main selling point for the Lexus ls400 when it first hit the American market was its promised reliability, as this became apparent in early sales the brand quickly gained market share over Mercedes and the upmarket American Brands because at the time there were huge issues with American automobile standards of build and confidence in the product.The Mercedes and Jaguar were expensive but in comparison were better but nothing like as good both in price and product as the Lexus.The problem with the LS430 was it had to match or better the benchmark that the 400 had set , unfortunatly it failed miserably.The reasons are now clear but at the time they were developing the 460 and at the same time trying not to lose the sedan market share they had built with the 400.So they went a step too far to quickly putting untried additions and technologies onto a 13 year old concept.

I had also set my sights on a 430 midway through my 16 years ownership of the 400 but as I learned more and more of the failures I realised that the best place to be was where I was and sought out a Mark 4 it took 4 years but I did get was at the time the bargain of the century so it was worth the wait.

• Like 1

I have never driven an LS 430. However, I am in the fortunate position of owning both an LS 400 Mk 3 and a Mk 4 and therefore am able to drive both in rapid succession. The difference between the two cars is immediately noticeable. The Mk 4 is more refined and more powerful and in my opinion, better looking. Definitely the Mk 4 is the better car.

Shiner, the 430 does seem to be more problematic than the 400 judging from what various owners say. The 400 mk 4 is widely recognised as the best Lexus model ever made. A friend of mine has just forked out £6,000 recently on repairs to her 9 year old B.M.Troubleyou X5. (Gearbox failure and A/C repairs). Also, my brother has just spent £3,000 on his '04 Mercedes Spends, (timing chain failure/ head repairs), and he still has other problems to sort out on it. To be fair though, it has done 180,000 miles. Our 400's are getting on a bit now so owners must expect to pay out on the inevitable repairs coming their way. But, until then, we'll enjoy driving the best Lexus ever made. They certainly seem to have fewer problems overall.

• Like 1

Titch LS, Everything you say is true, The Germans and the Japs build the best cars in the world. You can read on here in many places that the LS has done a lot more then 180,000 miles and kept on going. Still feels like new, etc,etc. Some LS's are nudging 500,000 miles. The LS is one of the best built cars around. It all comes down to badge snobbery.

The point of my post was that I have had to spend a fair amount of money on a car that originally cost in excess of £58k...or there abouts. I didn't mind that ! I actually expected to have to be prepared to fork out for expensive parts for an expensive car!

Now, taking the personal emotions out whether it,s 400 or 430...my reason was to warn people of buying a car that could lead them to expensive repairs! I have definitely enjoyed and will continue to enjoy driving the 430 ( not knowing what it's like to drive ls400 ) and am not really that bothered whether it's the best or worst ever made by Toyota.

What I am fast becoming aware of is that next time I see a 400 mk 4 I should grab it ...especially if it has no reversing camera and no air suspension!

• Like 1

Quite honestly guys .......... you would just NEVER get big bills with a Ls400 ........ perhaps the most daunting bill is for the upper control arms at say @ 200.000 miles and maybe now costing max £1500 to sort out with OEM parts for both sides.

There is absolutely bugger all else to go wrong to that extent ( unless like poor ShellDrake Lexus seems to want to rip one off !!! )

And I have extended experience of the Ls400, now on my 3rd car in 11 years and lots of miles under the belt.

Malc

It is as Shiner says a matter of choice and experience,it is fortunate for the likes of Malc myself and a number of long term owners of the 400 that we have had the time and hands on feel for these cars to find them out for what they are.Newer members of the club who have signed on to the Lexus experience have done so with a view of the reputation the 400 as gained for the Lexus brand it is unfortunate for them that they were taken astray a little but not in a cynical way and to all intents and purposes they have in the main got what they wanted .We have what we want which is peace of mind they have the knowledge that apart from the niggles of the 430 it is still a super car.

....... I would find it rather more than a little niggling to be faced with huge bills .............. can't see me changing from mine for a loooooong time to come.

( and we haven't even mentioned the Ls430 front pipes corroding that pass thru the radiator and bugger up the gearbox ........ or have I got that wrong ! possibly, but I'm sure someone will kindly remind me ) :outforcount:

Malc

Yes there have been incidences of that radiator problem but I suspect caused by the introduction of the wrong anti-freeze after the original as been drained for whatever reason.The requirement to use the toyota red anti-freeze is based on the corrosive properties that are present in other types of anti-freeze which attack in particular aluminum.It as happened on Land Cruisers fitted with the 400 non vtec engine so it is not limited to the ls430.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, after reading Pepe 's examples of buying his ls400s and getting them to showroom standard ...that's what I have decided to do with my LS430. I am also going to have it assessed for all things that might need fixing and have them fixed! It's not even 10 yr old.the Cabin is just fantastic place to be!

For those of you who are with ,for damn good reasons it would appear, LS400s. my suggestion would be to buy another one for about £700 pounds or so to use as spare parts provider when the time comes...If I had the space that's what I would do! Or they will become expensive to maintain....just a thought

Ok guys, after reading Pepe 's examples of buying his ls400s and getting them to showroom standard ...that's what I have decided to do with my LS430. I am also going to have it assessed for all things that might need fixing and have them fixed! It's not even 10 yr old.the Cabin is just fantastic place to be!

For those of you who are with ,for damn good reasons it would appear, LS400s. my suggestion would be to buy another one for about £700 pounds or so to use as spare parts provider when the time comes...If I had the space that's what I would do! Or they will become expensive to maintain....just a thought

Dont for get to post some pics of her when she has been done.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Just thought I give an update on my LS430.....good news nothing more has gone wrong!...am still going to get the car refurbished as Pepe has done with his ancient 400s.... Will rake photos before and after and post them here ...

Driving it is still a pleasure...a great cabin.

So those of you who are considering buying one, I would still recommend one..I think I was unlucky with some of the early glitches...probably a Friday model...but so far no more problems! Hope am not tempting fate...

Still saving for an LS 460 next ..don't want anything else....

I think this issue of the 400 being more reliable or less prone to problems is not a real issue.

Think about it, we are all in a forum dedicated to the Ls range, other sections of the main forum are dedicated to their particular range, Is, Sc etc.

I think most of the posts started are related to issues that the owner has found with their car, Ls, Is, Sc whatever, that is the nature of a forum, people have a problem, they ask about it because it may have happened to others, or like our forum we have people who are savvy with the lexus brand and know where to find info.

You will always get some issues with any model, the Is has some common issues, does that make it a car to steer clear of, no it doesn't, the same for the 430, or SC.

The Mercedes forum is no different, although i do believe thenewer Mercs are not as well built now as they were.

Now scale it up to for example, the Ford forum, look at how many posts they have relating to issues with their cars, does that make ford cars not worthy of purchasing.

Now marry the 2 forum results together, and i bet that the Lexus range has less issues than the ford range, even when you factor in the amount af cars sold to issues.

Personally i have had a 400 and 430, they both have had minor niggles, but i prefer the 430, not for the extra toys, but all round a better car.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with you Chris....I have now driven an LS400 mk4...and whilst I was impressed I wouldn't trade my 430 for it.

Also I have bad news ...

I did tempt fate...I notice one of the wheel nuts has gone missing....I should have checked them afteri had the four Tyres replaced last year!

Anyone know where I can source ONE WHEEL NUT?

Thanks.

Hi Rudy

I have taken these three pictures...hope they help..it's a dull and grey day in Buckinghamshire...and bloody cold...I think LS400 sleeved nuts fit LS430 .

If you have one that would be great I will send you my details by PM.

CHEERS.

Shiner

post-21779-0-53733000-1397830348_thumb.j

post-21779-0-46049500-1397830370_thumb.j

post-21779-0-34493600-1397830406_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links