Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First post, so sorry if anything isn't quite right!

Have an '06' GS300. Recently noticed mat in left rear footwell was wet. Mechanic put on ramp and checked underneath - no obvious problems. Removed mat, lifted carpet and insulation underneath was also saturated. Mechanic put it down to leaving window open in rain (usually check all windows before leaving car). Have been trying to dry it out but have now found front left footwell is exactly the same - wet car mat, soaking wet carpet and suspect insulation will be the same.

No sunroof, so can't be leaking from there. Right hand side is dry front and rear.

Does anyone have any ideas, please? I'm not mechanically minded but my husband is, so be as technical as you like!

Many thanks.

Have you had your windscreen replaced lately ? I know IS200's can get problems after replacing

Hopefully some of the boys will be along soon to give you a few other possibilities to look at :)

Im sure it's something to do with the aircon drain. It exits somewhere underneath car above exhaust, the drain is not big enough or gets blocked easily. There was a recall for the exact problem you have.

The recall only involves removing grommet but is a long process due to location.

Many thanks for your replies. The windscreen hasn't been replaced since we bought it 4 years ago, so I don't think that can be the problem.

It seems to have happened quite suddenly, so maybe the grommet in the air con is the next step. I'm going to contact Lexus to find out about the recall.

Really appreciate your help - especially as I'm a newbie!!!

Have spoken with Lexus who say the recall for the air con grommet didn't apply to our car, so they suggest we take it to the nearest dealer, but they did say that if the dealer thought there was a problem that warranted a recall that they would liaise with Lexus Head Office. Found the last part a bit confusing but will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for being so welcoming!

• Like 1

Hi Anne, just wondering if you have checked the screen drains in the scuttle near the bonnet hinges, mine tend to block as I park near a hedge (now reverse up to it). Easy to check by pouring water and watching to see if it drains away freely. If blocked water from the screen is trying to penetrate the bulkhead into the footwell, which would explain only 1 side being wet? Doesn't need the screen to have been changed for this to happen, leaves will block the drains espically at this time of year.

Hope you get sorted Tony

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know it may sound daft, and I'm in no way calling you stupid or anything, but my other halfs newphew was sat on my lap playing with my car keys which I thought nothing of, and when we went to leave, all of the windows were undone and the sunroof wide open!

If you hold the unlock button for a while all the windows go down, and if you perhaps did that for a split second (in your pocket or bag) and these two windows opened without you knowing it, that may of caused rain ingress maybe? If not A/C drain or windscreen scuttle panel leaking saunds very plausable!

Long shot but just covering all the bases!

Hope you find out the cause!

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I only sign up to the uk-club to write this answer (normally I write in the europe LOC).

Think Anne and me have the same problem, in relation to drivers side/passengers side (because I think in UK is RHD :D).

Anne found water on the passengers side (I think its the left car side > RHD) and I also found water on my passengers side (its the right side > LHD).

I guess the common thing where the water comes in is: some place around the filter box of the a/c. I see some water drops on the housing of this box. So the water must come from "a higher point" because the a/c filter box is located behind the glove box.

My car also have no sunroof, no (known) replaced windshield, the a/c drain works well but after some rain I noticed water in the car...

The problem is: I can wash, wash and wash the car with water (tooooo much) and nothing drips inside-I park the car and the water comes in...Anne, you are not alone *fg*

So this topic is very hot for me to find out where the water comes to the inside of the car!

I will be very, very grateful to see a post from you Anne! To find out and see whats the problem on your car (I think it will be the same on mine)!

Thank you

PS: I deleted my pictures of the incident because they are too big...and only show an wet floor mat

Hi Coneybiller and Energieumwandler

We're not sure but we think the problem may well have been a blocked scuttle. When my husband checked, it was blocked and he cleaned it out. The carpet doesn't seem to be as wet as it was but we won't know for sure if the problem has been solved until the carpets are completely dry.

One thing we have noticed is that a few times we've parked the car and when we've returned all the windows are open by about an inch. We now check the windows are completely closed before we walk away from the car. Obviously, it would be possible for rain to get in even if the windows were open by this small amount but I think we would have noticed that our seats were wet and it would take a tremendous amount of rain for the carpets to get as wet as they were.

Many thanks to everyone for their advice. Will post if the carpets eventually dry out now the scuttle is unblocked or if the problem still persists and we take the car to a Lexus dealer.

Sorry to hear Energieumwandler that you have the same problem (although it's good to know we aren't the only ones!) but do check the scuttles and, if necessary, clear them out.

Happy New Year to all Lexus owners!

Hello again :)

I hope to found my water leak at the last days.

Also hope, that a blocked scuttle was the reason for anne...but I dont think so...

I write some text in the german LOC (to see the picture an account is required) because I think I found the reason for my water leak.

http://euro.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26715-nachfolger-des-prius-gs450h/?p=530093

If somebody can read and understand german, maybe they can help to bring the text to here in english, but I need a little time for this.

Hope everyone has a good start in the new "New Year" week :)

Happy New Year!!! :hocus-pokus: :hocus-pokus: :hocus-pokus:

I can also translate this text-only have to apologize for my english *ooppss*

In my case, I think (and I hope) I found the reason for the water leak.

Last time I had some doubt about the reason for the water leak, because of the places where I see the water.

For this reason the only thing which left is: an not correct sealed windhsield... :(

Normally I only want to bring out the ECU under the blower motor out of the "water way" that it cant be damaged by the water-but I cant stop and so this was the last try to find out the leak...

The next step was to disassemble the blower motor and after this, the way are free to look at the air intake under the wiper cover from inside. To see it like this it is necessary to set the air intake to "Normal" because in "Recirculate" you cant see anything ;)

After I do this, I can see two (of three) wet foam pads-on/in this pads...WATER!

post-48993-0-65695300-1388575118_thumb.jpost-48993-0-14001800-1388575122_thumb.j

We continue with pictures after the disassembly.

I ask myself why they use normal soaking foam pads in this area-because they could use a foam which soaked only a little piece of water.

I guess the dealer do this in good intention to erase some noise of the creaking plastik.

Unfortunately the pads are exactly on the place where sometimes water goes through...but I dont know if the pads are assembled by the dealer or by Lexus itself in the plant?

On the two pictures above you can see bottom side of the wiper windshield cover. On this cover is a little part of plastic who prevent that water can come directly into the A/C air intake. The foam pads are glued on this part from the upside (where the water "flows") around the ledge and then to the bottom side.

So if water go trough the upside, the pads soak, soak and soak-the pads guide it around the ledge and after the pads are fully soaked, the water drips off.

But not directly on top of the cabin air filter (this filter was all time completely dry!)...the water drips onto the metal cover of the air intake and goes down on it.

A part of the water now directly goes to the inside of the blower motor, fill up the housing and after that, the water runs into the air duct to the evaporator. This air duct has a connection in the passenger footwell and the water comes out on this connection. So that s why I guess the reason was a blocked evaporator drain and do this:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-third-generation/658470-diy-hvac-evap-drain-blockage-leaking-water-in-car.html

But no success...

Another part of the water was soaked by the sealing between the A/C blower unit and the car body. After the seal was soaked, water runs on the outside of the blower housing down and reach some places there (for example the VGRS ECU :( ). Water run also down on the bulkhead to some noise cancelling mats and other places :(

On the next photo you can see the ledge who the water normally runs beside to go to the water drain. In the windshield cover is only a little hole where the water comes to this place (you can see it from the outside). Beside this ledge is another little foam pad who guides the water flow to the water drain hole. Normally and without this three ^^ foam pads this is no problem-but with the foam pads, the water will go directly into the soaking foam pads

(Following pictures are for the LHD model, I think the RHD model is quite the same, only "turn the side" !?)

The ledge on the car where the water flows beside:

post-48993-0-50745900-1388575130_thumb.j

The foam pad on the wiper windshield cover( I guess this part is mounted from the plant). This foam pad touches the car body to seal/guide the water:

post-48993-0-20056900-1388575138_thumb.j

The three foam pads after disassembling:

post-48993-0-82012600-1388575126_thumb.jpost-48993-0-73906900-1388575148_thumb.j

On the following pictures you cann see (at the fullsize image) that the water dont drip off at the ledge of the windshield cover. The water follows the pad to the deepest place and drips of there (see the first two pictures)

post-48993-0-83307900-1388575144_thumb.jpost-48993-0-55795100-1388575141_thumb.j

Now I remove this foam pads

post-48993-0-03652200-1388575134_thumb.j

gif.gif

After this I assemble all parts back to the car and add a additional sealing with resitant tough grease from the inside of the car (beside the foam strip which guides the water). Its easy to reach from the inside of the car-dip the finger in the grease and go up with the arm trough to the air intake. Add the grease between the carbody/air intake and the windshield wiper cover.

I prefer this way because if I use silicon or glue and the cover must be disassemble...it will be broken-with grease this is no problem...

I also do a strong water test and the car/water drain handle it in perfect way (first two pictures)

Now I hope I found the reason for this and I never have to see pictures like this again (the wet floor mats)...

post-48993-0-45174000-1388576961_thumb.j

post-48993-0-31812200-1388576965_thumb.j

post-48993-0-57787700-1388576969_thumb.j

post-48993-0-68883700-1388576974_thumb.j

post-48993-0-71525400-1388576978_thumb.j

Hi

Wow - thank you so much for your information! My husband is an engineer so understands everything you have said and is going to investigate our car (when it stops raining!) We found another possible reason today. We parked the car and checked the windows were closed before we left it...but, when we came back all the windows were open by about 2 inches and as it was raining heavily the seats and interior we wet. Now we have to find out how the windows open, seemingly be themselves, when we are nowhere near the car.

Will keep you posted and Happy New Year to you.

• 1 month later...

Hi again :)

another issue happen in my car and its in addition to this water leak.

The water caused a malfunction of the climate control. Symptom was a self reset after every start-up (recognize the flashing Front Defogger Button) and air inlet cover (fresh air/recirculate air input) doesnt change its position (display show the correct setting, but no reaction from the servo for the inlet flap). DTC output: B1497.

To find whats wrong was very hard and need much time.

At this point the same like the last-everybody can take a first look at this german post:

http://euro.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26715-nachfolger-des-prius-gs450h/?p=535668

Later I can translate it in english and add the pictures...

Hi

Wow - thank you so much for your information! My husband is an engineer so understands everything you have said and is going to investigate our car (when it stops raining!) We found another possible reason today. We parked the car and checked the windows were closed before we left it...but, when we came back all the windows were open by about 2 inches and as it was raining heavily the seats and interior we wet. Now we have to find out how the windows open, seemingly be themselves, when we are nowhere near the car.

Will keep you posted and Happy New Year to you.

I had found that if the unlock button on the fob is held down, the "global open/close" feature is activated where you can open all of the windows by holding the unlock button on the remote fob, you can close them again by pressing (and holding) the lock button! Could be that the keys have been pressed in a pocket or handbag for a moment enough to activate the global opening feature which then lowered the windows for a short period. It should only do this when in range of the car though! The range is quite good on our cars, as if youve walked away and forgot to lock th car and press the button on the fob, it can be done from quite far away. This could also happen with the global open/close feature from a distance!