Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Suspension Issues.

BarneyTT

Just booked my Sportcross into Lexus for a service and also asked them to investigate a knocking noise which I get on certain roads and cornering, it's drives and handles fine and I have checked all the bushes and had it on a ramp at my mates garage checking everything without success. Lexus said the IS did have some issues with the suspension, in some cases the struts were replaced but the problem in some instances still remained, having looked at my car at least two of the struts are newer (I was puzzled by this as the car has only covered 47k) so was wondering if this could be the cause...... can anyone expand on this problem out of interest?

Hmmmm. Not sure, but I've got some sounds coming from the front. It sounds like a rusts spring on the bigger speed bumps. Lexus had a look and said I needed two new front shocks, but an independant garage said there are no signs that there is anything wrong with the shocks and that the noise could be a loose caliper and suggested copper slip. Hmmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost a lot of posts in this thread.......

I am taking it into Lexus for a service on the 16th and they are going to look at it for me and will take things from there. Having read most of the post on here about knocking issues it seems a mine field!

• 2 weeks later...

Another culprit could be the anti roll bar drop link. Often overlooked yet can still produce when worn an annoying knocking sound. Easiest way to check them is jack the car up so to take the pressure off the joints and give them a tug, if you feel movement through your hand then they require replacement, this can sound awful inside when driving.

Cheers Dave. Yes, checked just about everything at my mates garage, between us we couldn't find anything that was obvious or even suspect so as mentioned it's going into Lexus for a service on Monday and they are going to have a look as well. Will post any findings.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Well after the car has been into Lexus for it's service and suspension noise investigation I am none the wiser because whilst they can also hear the noise they cannot find any fault or detect where it's coming from, clean bill of health basically.

Hmmmmm, the head scratching continues :lookaround::unsure:

. . . . That is really annoying!?!

Your not kidding Stuart, not really sure of my next move. Don't really want to throw money at it without a better understanding of possible causes. I suppose at least I know it's more of an annoying issue rather than a problem or fault, just spoils an otherwise lovely drive.

When I took Zorro in, they suggested replacing front shocks, front bushes (not sure which?) And applying copper slip to the brake pads and stripping, greasing and refitting the caliper slide pin.

An independent mechanic said he could not see a problem with any of the above!?! But the noise is still there. Apparently, it's worth checking the anti roll drop links? Also the wheel bearing could be going, despite not having any movement when being checked???

I'm going to possibly look at the simple things first such as the caliper slide pins, copper slip to the brake pads etc.

Drop links were checked and no problems noted, would have thought a wheel bearing to make a different noise but can't rule anything out!

• Like 1

to check the link bars have the car on ramp without jacked up & you could insert a metal bar in between them & give it force up & down to see for any movement. also have a look at the link bushes if perished or worn.

if still in doubt & assuming its still the link ends, like above mentioned, undo the bottom shock absorber bolt to apply more pressure on other components & re check them all.

hope you get it sorted as these clonks appear louder on these quiet cars -

Thanks for the input, I'm having to put this on the back burner until the New Year as it looks likely I'm going to have to get a new rear automatic headlight leveling sensor/assembly (£450 fitted inc VAT :( ) as despite two attempts to repair it myself seems unlikely I'm going to fix it, going to have one last look at over the Xmas period just to satisfy myself I have done all I can before coughing up.

Bit of a set back to say the least :o

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Took the car to Lexus who gave me a list of things to do so thought I would get rid of the car. Took to another garage who pointed the obvious things that should be done. Ball joints as these had play, track rod ends as the rubber had split and drop links as the rubber had split on these. From there looking at the forums, had the caliper slide pins and bushes changed and the brake discs and pads refitted. It is alot better than before as I had creaking sound which has gone, just have a slight knocking sound. I've had the car checked again and the outcome was, there is nothing wrong with the car its upto me how much money I want to spend on it. I bought some upper ball joints not expensive just need to get them fitted to see if that fixes the problem. Its just frustrating. Never had this on previous IS that I've owned.

It seems as though some IS's suffer from a variety of noises whilst for some strange reason others don't, annoyingly there is no hard and fast rule as to the cause(s). Lexus told me that some IS's had a knocking from the suspension struts which even though they replaced them the noise remained.

After having both Lexus and my mate who runs his own garage, look at the car, it's clear that suspension bushes, ball joints etc don't seem to be the cause, my first port of call will be brake caliper slide pins changed and brake pads greased. The discs are fairly new and the pads are fine, will see where I go from there.

I'm almost in the same position as you Ashar as it seems to come down to how much we are willing to throw at the problem.

Really annoying as it spoils an otherwise perfect drive.

• 3 months later...

I will do Ashar, will probably start on this early part of the new year. Likewise if you have any progress let us know.

Any news ref this?

I recently bought a 2002 is300 S/C and it has the same problem

I have had all the calipers overhauled, just about everything replaced (parts alone from Lexus set me back £300) and greased and the knocking is still there so my next port of call is to replace the front shock absorbers and top mounts, will probably get this done later in the year as I want to get my alloys refurbished first due to the possibility of not having a suitable garage in the coming months due to a possible house move.

Apologieses for the late reply. I've bought some upper ball joints, which worked for another Lexus memeber, so thought I'd give that a try, but I've not had the opportunity to do anything about it. I doubt I'll do it this month as I've just taxed the car and have insurance to sort out as well. As per BarneyTT, I had the slide pins replaced in my calipers and the pads reset as they were missing the shims which got rid of the grinding sound and the clunking. The shock absorbers on my car had already been replaced when I bought the car I don't think the the top mounts were. I've also need to get the dent in the wing repaired and an oil service. As soon as I have any news I'll let you all know.

Thanks Barney and Ashar.

If I have time I'm going to jack up the car, take the wheels off and let it down onto stands to give it a good coat of looking at!

I used to be a mechanic years ago (now work in photography) and an MOT tester so I know what to look for. Many years ago Rover SD1's suffered with this and it was the X-member bolts coming loose so I'll be checking those as well.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Hi Tonyt, I had my car up on a ramp (not hanging on its suspension) and it was being shaken by the ramp, but we could not get it to make the noise. In my car it only happens when its moving and going over bumps. Its just annoying. I / we all will be interested to know what you find.