Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&n Filter.....is It Worth It?

Keleko

I'm looking at getting a new K&N air intake filter on my GS450h and was wondering if it was worth it? I've found one on eBay for about £35.

Will it actually improve the airflow and fuel economy or is it was waste of time/money? What are your views on it?

It will but it will be negligible. It is less restrictive. Not a lot of money and I rate them over oem.

This is the thing, it'll be better but not very noticeable. If I would notice better throttle response or better economy i wouldn't hesitate but if it's just to say "I've got a K&N filter".......

Here's the eBay link if anyone's interested http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360555024116

I have fitted one on my 250 - It is noticeable especially in "drive" (if you have an auto) but you soon get used to it.

I have always fitted them on the cars I have had - one has been put on my wifes Tigra and she does not know anything about cars but has noticed the increased throttle response especially when pulling away from junctions.

I had one on my old is200 and as with my current car, did notice a difference.

Based on the 3 cars I have had them in then yes there is a difference but measuring it against fuel economy I don't know. The type I have is a maintenance free oiled one.

I have fitted one on my 250 - It is noticeable especially in "drive" (if you have an auto) but you soon get used to it.

I have always fitted them on the cars I have had - one has been put on my wifes Tigra and she does not know anything about cars but has noticed the increased throttle response especially when pulling away from junctions.

I had one on my old is200 and as with my current car, did notice a difference.

Based on the 3 cars I have had them in then yes there is a difference but measuring it against fuel economy I don't know. The type I have is a maintenance free oiled one.

Now, that fills me with confidence that its worth it. It's only £35, what the hell, I'll get one and give it a go.

I would have one again and again. After a years use purchase a regeneration pack (cleaner and oil around £10) - keep your old filter to use while the oiled one is being cleaned.

I usually soak it in the solution overnight, dry it and then re-oil it but in the mean time put the old filter in so the car can be used. Its actually a good point in time to measure the difference in them both as you will feel the difference when its swapped over..

When putting the newly oiled one back in or putting it in for the first time reset your ECU. Maybe the people that don't report a difference don't reset theirs and the car gradually learns the new "setting" with not much noticeability to the driver...? The car will be a bit "tame" until it learns your driving style after the reset but you will feel the difference,

I actually check mine every 6 months or so - when I had one in my IS200 the engine bay seemed to hoover up all the road dust so I cleaned it quite regularly. I have had the current filter in the 250 for just coming up for 6 months so will be checking that soon.

I would have one again and again. After a years use purchase a regeneration pack (cleaner and oil around £10) - keep your old filter to use while the oiled one is being cleaned.

I usually soak it in the solution overnight, dry it and then re-oil it but in the mean time put the old filter in so the car can be used. Its actually a good point in time to measure the difference in them both as you will feel the difference when its swapped over..

When putting the newly oiled one back in or putting it in for the first time reset your ECU. Maybe the people that don't report a difference don't reset theirs and the car gradually learns the new "setting" with not much noticeability to the driver...? The car will be a bit "tame" until it learns your driving style after the reset but you will feel the difference,

I actually check mine every 6 months or so - when I had one in my IS200 the engine bay seemed to hoover up all the road dust so I cleaned it quite regularly. I have had the current filter in the 250 for just coming up for 6 months so will be checking that soon.

How do you reset your ECU? do you have to take it to a Lexus garage?

Unplug the negative Battery lead and leave for 2 hours or overnight as most people do - connect it back up then drive the car as you would normally do and the ECU will learn your driving habits and adjust the engine accordingly.

It will be a bit "sluggish" at first while it gathers the info but will settle down. You will need to reset your electric windows / radio channels but that's not hard to do.

Unplug the negative battery lead and leave for 2 hours or overnight as most people do - connect it back up then drive the car as you would normally do and the ECU will learn your driving habits and adjust the engine accordingly.

It will be a bit "sluggish" at first while it gathers the info but will settle down. You will need to reset your electric windows / radio channels but that's not hard to do.

I sound like a total fool here but how do you reset electric windows?

No just follow the guide. Don't forget to do your drives window too. I didn't do it, the window will still work but won't "auto" close or open

I have one final silly question. It's Battery in the boot that I'm disconnecting, not the one under the bonnet, right?

You have one in the boot too? On the IS there is only one battery. I'm sure it will be just the one under the bonnet mate

I have the hybrid, I will have to check with my mechanic on that one then.

I just installed a K& N filter in my IS250 today, and can feel the difference in throttle response already. Car feels a bit sharper when pulling away from the lights, and a slight change in exhaust noise. Better than an OEM filter i'd say.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links