Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Legal Advice Needed, Caught Speeding :o(

Stuno1

perhaps when you attend the court in person.say to the judge could you plz be put onto a driver training course,because you feel that it will help you in the future so as not to speed again??

bearing in mind they no doubt have a limit on what they do to each set of parameters you may well be peeing in the wind,but might be worth a shot

You're a victim of the times I'm afraid mate.

Speeding is the new drink driving, sadly.

I remember getting clocked at 130mph on an empty M4 in the early hours.

Copper was good as gold, just a warning that not all cops were as enlightened as him.

That was nearly forty years ago though, I now stick below three figure speeds, simply because of the possible consequences, which I suppose is what they want.

It annoys me that so many lousy drivers get away with bad driving, because they aren't speeding.

Good luck, you have my sympathy.

• Like 3

It's easily done in today's cars, When the engines are quiet and there's no road noise it;s surprising how quick speed rises un-noticed. I have recently had one of the old style speed camera detectors installed. Purely for the speed warning feature. Automatically works out speed for given road and tells you via colour screen and audible warning if exceeding limit.

Only cost £25, could potentially save points and licence.

Got it off the bay....

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/novusalpha.htm

I got caught in a very similar situation a few years ago - 105 on the A11 in Norfolk at 10pm - empty roads, no passenger, clean licence.

Because I didn't act like a tw*t, the cop who pulled me put my speed down as 100mph exactly, rather than the 105, which he said would have been an automatic ban.

I went to court, dressed in a suit (I looked smarter than half the solicitors :shifty: ) and explained that I needed my licence to get to work (I also have a motorbike which I commute on). I got a £400 fine and 5 points on my licence.

Annoyingly, just last night, I got another speeding ticket on my bike, coming back from work :megaangry: And the damn things have gone up to £100...

A few years ago I was stopped on the M180 in my Mercedes 200E w124 series, doing around 110. I told the police motorcyclist I was sorry, that I worked for the emergency services and was very safety conscious, but my newly acquired car was so quiet, I had underestimated my speed. He thought about it, said the motorway was very quiet ( as the M180 often is) and the car was built for those speeds, he let me off with a warning. I could not believe it. Like the Lexus, there was no real impression of speed and the road and traffic conditions were good. Don't beat yourself up over it, plenty of drivers are dangerous whilst staying within the speed limit.

A few years ago I was stopped on the M180 in my Mercedes 200E w124 series, doing around 110. I told the police motorcyclist I was sorry, that I worked for the emergency services and was very safety conscious, but my newly acquired car was so quiet, I had underestimated my speed. He thought about it, said the motorway was very quiet ( as the M180 often is) and the car was built for those speeds, he let me off with a warning. I could not believe it. Like the Lexus, there was no real impression of speed and the road and traffic conditions were good. Don't beat yourself up over it, plenty of drivers are dangerous whilst staying within the speed limit.

Thanks for that. It just frustrates me to have never had a speeding ticket before and then get this happening. Just have to hope court (whenever it is) goes well.

Stu

As they told us on the driver awareness training nonsense for those evil citizens doing 34 or 35mph in 30 speed limits, you were unlucky. That basically is the police policy, if you get done you are unlucky. Ive had 3 speeding fines the last 10 years, one at 34mph and two at 35mph, all three by mobile hand-held devices situated where 40mph limits go to 30mph. The favourite police location for entrapment. Its abundantly clear that its nowt to do with road safety and all to do with revenue generation. Both my attendances at the so called training sessions the group of 20 or so people were near all middle aged and elderly, presumably the law considers them the scum of society.

So you failed to observe the posted limit and got caught, then had to attend a DAT course rather than get points on your license and you still moan? :rolleyes:

There is no pleasing some people. As much as we may not like it we know its a law and if we break it and get caught we pay for it.......after having three offences in 10 years obviously the magistrates thought fines and points didn't work the last few times!

And yes I have been caught, once for 35 in a 30 about 30 years ago and again for 78 on a clear motoway at 6 in the morning some 15 years ago, touch wood I am very careful now not to exceed the limit and (touch wood) funnily enough have the clean license my insurance company like, it works for me! ;)

Yes I was caught speeding, doing about 35mph in a 30 zone, twenty past midnight going through Northfield in Brum. I still have the licence and it shows that I was fined £5 in 1967!

Fortunately I haven't fallen foul of the law since then. Hope I haven't tempted fate in posting this!

I don't know if this is unique but the A610 from Codnor,Derbyshire starts with a 30 limit that then becomes 40 (was 50) then to 50 then to National (60) then to dual carriageway (70) then as it approached Nottingham back to 50 then 40 then 30.

Coming back the other way there is the obligatory fixed camera as the speed drops to 30.

I came along the A6 last week and approaching Matlock the speed limit was now 20!

It would appear to be Government policy now to reduce all speed limits to make their accident figures look better, can't wait for the time when we have to have a man walking in front of our cars waving a red flag!

It's not about speed nor safety but revenue!

And yes I have been caught, once for 35 in a 30 about 30 years ago and again for 78 on a clear motoway at 6 in the morning some 15 years ago

I always thought the 10% + 2 mph formula was used, therefore making 79 mph the top speed for which you won't get stopped? :whistling:

Or is it just an urban legend - seeing that it will make 35 mph in 30 zone okay too, which is clearly not the policy? ...

So you failed to observe the posted limit and got caught, then had to attend a DAT course rather than get points on your license and you still moan? :rolleyes:

There is no pleasing some people. As much as we may not like it we know its a law and if we break it and get caught we pay for it.......after having three offences in 10 years obviously the magistrates thought fines and points didn't work the last few times!

And yes I have been caught, once for 35 in a 30 about 30 years ago and again for 78 on a clear motoway at 6 in the morning some 15 years ago, touch wood I am very careful now not to exceed the limit and (touch wood) funnily enough have the clean license my insurance company like, it works for me! ;)

AND I bet you've never had an accident but have seen plenty :whistling: Pompous bugger

AND I bet you've never had an accident but have seen plenty :whistling: Pompous bugger

Can we not resort to name calling please??? I WILL come out and take the ball off you... :innocent:

If you think giving my opinion is pompous then tough!

And no I have never had a fault accident, more by luck than judgement probably. And yes, I have seen an awful lot of accidents......SOCU always need plenty of photographs and in my early career I saw the results that would turn your stomach in a second, probably why I was always (and hopefully still am) very aware of the results of innapropriate speed and lack of attention whilst driving.

@ David, The motorway in question was the M20, and it was a bridge camera before the ACPO recommendations for speed conviction buffer limits.

@ David, The motorway in question was the M20, and it was a bridge camera before the ACPO recommendations for speed conviction buffer limits.

Thanks, ah so the 10%+2 is not just an urban legend then?

Is that only applicable to motorways or to national speed limits, with some exceptions (like 30 or 20 zones)?

You have to be aware that some areas operate a zero tolerance approach, usually at certain times of the year or to target particular local problem spots, one particular area is Motorway road works, just try the 50+5+2 in those and your very likely to receive a NIP in very short order.

The ACPO guidlines are only a recomendation.

If you think giving my opinion is pompous then tough!

And no I have never had a fault accident, more by luck than judgement probably. And yes, I have seen an awful lot of accidents......SOCU always need plenty of photographs and in my early career I saw the results that would turn your stomach in a second, probably why I was always (and hopefully still am) very aware of the results of innapropriate speed and lack of attention whilst driving.

Criticising another member because they fell foul of the cash making speed camera IS pompous. He asked for advice not to being slagged off be another member. A gentleman wouldn't do it and that's my opnion

Actually Stuno1 asked for the advice, Creo was making us aware of his experience when he got caught after several incidents of excess speed.

But then I read all the posts..............and this is getting completely off the original topic, I wish you luck in Court Stuno1

My wife was offered a DAT course ans snatched their hands off. A couple of hours spent instead of the fine, points and five years of increased premiums. No brainer. She also found the course interesting, which was a bonus.

My wife was offered a DAT course ans snatched their hands off. A couple of hours spent instead of the fine, points and five years of increased premiums. No brainer. She also found the course interesting, which was a bonus.

Technically you still pay the fine, as you have to pay £60 to attend. I was more than happy to be offered this course as it saved me getting 3 points on my licence. I also found the course to be interesting. The man running it made it informative and a bit of fun, plus as much free tea, coffee and biscuits as you wanted :lol:

Just to add I also think name calling is out of order in any shape or form. It's meant to be one if the rules if the forum... No personal insults, name calling etc...

Anyway peace people :)

And good luck Stuno. Hope you get the outcome you're looking for.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links