Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Potential Is200 Driver!

Skymera

Hi all,

My name is Scott.

I'm 22 and currently an electronics engineer for Zetes UK.

I'm looking at getting a new car and an IS200 seems to be it. I was originally looking at EK Civic VTI but the money they seem to go for and the fact they all have been raced about has put me right off.

I'm fed up of driving around in £500 1.0/1.1 sheds and a VIP style IS200 seems just the ticket! :)

This is my current car which will be sold once I've acquired a new car. I've had it since Dec 2011 and will be very sad to see it go!

O9EAA5Y.jpg

Won't be tinkering with the IS200's engine much, I'm not much of a mechanic...more of a geek eh :)

HSD MonoPro Coilovers will be my first choice, expensive but I've had cheap coilovers before and they're awful!

http://www.driftworks.com/hsd-coilovers-lexus-is200-and-gs300-dualtech-monopro-sxe10-jzs141-and-jzs161.html

I'm going to have a browse around the forum now, but if you have any tips for buying or tuning just let me know!

Thanks all,

Scott

• Like 1

Hi there and welcome. good choice in car ;) just remember to check the performance figures first, ive seen it all to many times ppl come along like yourself buy one and start complaining how slow it is. They aint fast and werent designed to be, just great looking cars that are a pleasure to drive :)

Yeah my mate has spend thousands keeping his race spec EK on the road and tuned, hes finally seen sense and sold the wallet eater. Im talking 8k+ over the years. its mad.

Im a nerd too which is why i picked this car also, it was staring me in the face with all its gadgetry and interior design and when i found out it was RWD and 6 cylinder my decision was made

p.s So ppl who drive around in cars like above do admit their sheds? Sorry, i do appreciate the time and effort youve probably put into it but it is a micra at the end of the day lol

Hi there and welcome. good choice in car ;) just remember to check the performance figures first, ive seen it all to many times ppl come along like yourself buy one and start complaining how slow it is. They aint fast and werent designed to be, just great looking cars that are a pleasure to drive :)

Yeah my mate has spend thousands keeping his race spec EK on the road and tuned, hes finally seen sense and sold the wallet eater. Im talking 8k+ over the years. its mad.

Im a nerd too which is why i picked this car also, it was staring me in the face with all its gadgetry and interior design and when i found out it was RWD and 6 cylinder my decision was made

p.s So ppl who drive around in cars like above do admit their sheds? Sorry, i do appreciate the time and effort youve probably put into it but it is a micra at the end of the day lol

I kinda liked you until I read the last bit. Like most, extremely narrow minded.

Yes it's a Micra. Yes it's a 1.3 on a 1.0 g/box with a light flywheel.

However being lightweight with a smaller rolling radius it can reach 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds.

My friend's 160HP 1.3 turbo can do it in under 7 seconds.

It's comments like yours that will put people off.

• Like 1

Don't get upset with people's comments Scott. Light hearted banter doesn't come across to well on a pc. I know Pete and i'm sure he didn't mean any offence.

ps

My first car back in the day was an Austin Allegro with slot alloys... :zorro:

Lol. Modded Micra. My last car was a 1.0l Vauxhall Corsa, we started looking around for a new car and could not imagine that we would've ended up in a Lexus.

I decided to keep it Stock. Enjoy the luxury. Then I started . . . . Very subtle, but changes are being made. Zorro had 16"s as standard alloys, so I got myself a set of Standard 17"s and use these for Summer Wheels. I had a Grom Audio device fitted to the standard Head Unit. I retro fitted the Chrome Gear Knob, because the aftermarket one a previous owner fitted was hideous. I've bought fuel&engine cleaner to help improve the efficiency. I've just put some spacers on too, 15mm at the front and 20 mm at the rear.

Next Year I want to get some new shocks and springs and a sport grill and some wind deflectors.

:) No real offence taken. Get comments like that everyday.

I'm not expecting it to be quick. For quick, I was looking at getting a 1.6 VTi VTEC Civic. But the money they go for is ridiculous and the lack of torque is just a joke. 160HP at 7,600rpm and the redline is 8,000...

Fun to drive but to really drive you need to nail it. Not worth my time.

The Lexus seems to have twice the torque and HP as my Micra...but then almost twice the weight! :msn-oh:

I'd like to strip it to save some weight but you can't have VIP style with no back seats eh.

HSD coilovers seem to be my choice and they will be my first investment. Get it on the ground.

Wheels will be no doubt last as fitment and size is a tough one. 17x9/10 with some negative camber will be likely. Offset > spacers any day.

I'm a bit of a Jap/"stance" whore.

Poke, camber, shotgun style exhaust. :hocus-pokus:

Nice!

I wanted to keep the standard 17"s, so Spacers were for me. I've seen some great wheels fitted to IS' mind, so it'll look good. Did you say you've not yet bought it?

Not yet found one to buy.

Money is there, insurance money is aside. Just finding the right one.

• Like 1

Hello Scott and welcome to the LOC.

I shouldn't really admit this but I have always liked the Nissan Figaro which is loosely based on the Micra but fitted with a turbocharged version of the engine, very quirky retro styled car but if a turbo is OK for a Figaro why not a Micra.

Add in the fact that there are supercharged versions of the IS200 knocking about and even some V8 conversions using the LS400 engine and the sky is the limit.

My only advice is to look at as many as possible,look for a good service history and low ownership, take your time, be fussy and you will find a nice example that will look after you.

If you fancy a bit of " TRD modding" look on the usual internet auction sites and of course bits and pieces often appear on the club's for sale section.

hello & welcome to the wonderfull forum of lexus '

simply put, you will love the IS200. a micra is a fun car with good reliability. I had a red 1.3 super s in my time!

I am now 33 of age driving a 2000 model IS200. I have had them all with the newest being a bmw 330d m sport on a 2008 reg.

I still till today choose this car as I am happy/proud with & not to show people what I drive or what I am, if you know what I mean.

for me its comfort & reliability that the lexus keeps me locked on with -

go go lexus!

Sorry i only said it because you yourself said you drove around in sheds? so i was just playing along from your own comment. and i always openly admited i used to with my last rover 200 and ford focus lol, but sorry i put you off :( Im not narrow minded i already said i appreciate the hard work youve put into the car in the picture, it looks fab. i respect any guy who tinkers with cars ;)

btw you can have VIP and speed without taking the backseats out. The GS430 gets to 60 in around 6 seconds and its a beaut. my next purchase me thinks. I just found a great example for 2k! oh and you wont have to rev it much, what i call effortless

However being lightweight with a smaller rolling radius it can reach 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds.

Impressive. Just had a look and the stock 0-60 is 12 seconds. smart move

Sorry i only said it because you yourself said you drove around in sheds? so i was just playing along from your own comment. and i always openly admited i used to with my last rover 200 and ford focus lol, but sorry i put you off :( Im not narrow minded i already said i appreciate the hard work youve put into the car in the picture, it looks fab. i respect any guy who tinkers with cars ;)

btw you can have VIP and speed without taking the backseats out. The GS430 gets to 60 in around 6 seconds and its a beaut. my next purchase me thinks. I just found a great example for 2k! oh and you wont have to rev it much, what i call effortless

I'm stuck with a sucky insurer and I can't get anything over 2.0 RWD :( I'm just out of the cool off period too.

They seemed really good to start with. But I'm paying well over the odds once the interest and "admin" fees were added on top!

Impressive. Just had a look and the stock 0-60 is 12 seconds. smart move

Incredibly underrated cars. Not for everyone but a decent first car or winter runner no doubt :)

So anyway, what do you guys make of this? Seems fair.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312050349049/sort/default/usedcars/radius/40/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/lexus/model/is/quicksearch/true/page/2/postcode/rg127jj?logcode=p

Cambelt doesn't seem to have been done, might be worth seeing if they can do it as a deal?

And it's also pre 2001 which means the cheaper tax bracket. Big plus!

give the trader £1500, that's a great car to get as long as you can get insured.

as an se model the extras come as standard.

the cambelt typically shreds out at 60k approx. so defo get that checked/replaced.

Ive always known their good, reliable cars. I mean a chain cam say no more.

Btw also want to add ive been a member of a fair few owners clubs and forums and the LOC has been the most welcoming and friendliest bunch ive come across.

Keep us updated anyway

There's a blue one for sale in my town.

Up for £1000, 130k miles and he says it has had a cambelt done.

Trying to contact him again to find exactly when and also if he has receipts.

Should have been done around 110-120k?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311189976340/sort/default/usedcars/model/is/postcode/rg127jj/make/lexus/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/2/radius/60?logcode=p

Private sale so the safety net of warranty is gone.

I'm extremely cautious when buying cars as I've had very little luck in the past.

In 2011 I knew nothing about cars at all. Even the basics.

I bought a R reg 1.3 Fiesta that had a head gasket gone (major derp)... Sold that a few months after paying to get it fixed and bought a 1.1 Peugeot 106 private sale (Sigh, I know). Fairly cheap but extremely good condition and just had a major service including cambelt. Bargain.

Anyway, whoever did the cambelt didn't tension it properly. 60miles later the belt slipped and the engine was a write off.

In desperation I bought a Micra which has served me well with no troubles for almost 25,000 miles :)

Ide be weary at paying 1k not only for cosmetic condition but work may need doing. Just maintenance mind you but its money all the same. I paid a little more than the going rate when getting mine. I may be wrong but you'd need to go look and find out as nothing is mentioned in description

I wouldn't buy that. No description, no mention of history etc and as Pete says may need some work doing. Looks a bit like someone trying to get rid quick. I may be wrong but that's what I think lol...

The plat ice one for £1645 looked a much better car and you'd prob get it for £1500 if you bargained hard enough. I'd be tempted by that car if I was looking to buy providing the cambelt had been done, properly, with the paperwork to prove.

Don't rush in is my advice. Plenty of well maintained under 100k miles out there. Check service history, look for a car that's obviously been looked after and maintained and cared for. it's a buyers market with these now, they are getting very cheap.

Anyway, welcome to the club and I'm sure you'll find the right car if you're patient :)

Also, I quite like the micra :zee:

Check with the garage that did the cambelt. I bought mine and the dealer said it had been done. It hadn't 122,000 miles and no cambelt replacement! ?! I was lucky, I did it straight away, but it was another £650 to do it! These cars are becoming stupidly cheap and sellers are getting blasé about the information they give to sell them. A good write up might put an extra £250 on the asking price, but you can knock them down.

Anyone here selling?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links