Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Gs300's Brake Accumulator... Why?

LexIS200Sport

Hi all, just out of interest, I've been reading the threads here about the GS300's electric brake accumulator system.

However, one question that I can't seem to find the answer to is... why does the GS300 have such a system fitted in the first place? Does the electric accumulator system offer something that the traditional vacuum brake booster doesn't? Is there something particular to the design of the car or the engine that necessitated such a system?

Just curious really :)

Did this system carry over to the next generation GS or did they revert back to a conventional servo?

Toyota probably invested millions of Yen into a new system and used the GS as the test bed, reliabilty issues compared to a conventional system probably brought about its demise and the return to a vacuum based servo system.

In theory there are several benefits. Given you have an ABS pump anyway, why not enhance it and use that all the time for brake boost to save weight, space and cost. Remove the vacuum link from the engine to reduce load and improve economy/emissions. Improves safety by providing brake boost if the engine stops running (quite useful on hybrids).

This system is used on many Toyota vehicles, some of the benefits may not be that great on the GS, but there is a benefit to Toyota in using a common system across many platforms.

Unfortunately reliability didn't prove to be that great on the early systems.

• 3 months later...

Which model years does this apply to?

I have a GS300 on '53 plate, for example.

Most of the issues were on the '98 - '00 models. Whilst all series II GSs have the booster the facelift models, late 2000 onwards, have proven to be reliable.