Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I bought a 1992 LS400 a few months ago and it is a pleasure to drive. The car has 172k miles on the clock.

Hope you guys can help me with some niggles I have, I have tried searching the forums but they do not specifically answer my questions-

1. The steering wheel column is dead. It never worked, it does not go up or down/ no tilt or telescope. The motor does not sound at all, its as if it is completely dead. Could this be a motor issue, an ignition switch issue or something else?

2. The seat/steering wheel/mirror memory does not save any settings at all. Could it be possible that there is a loose/broken connection somewhere?

3. The lights on the dash aircon controls are partially lit. Is this a case of blown bulbs?

I will appreciate any feedback on the above and if someone can briefly explain me what do do. I am an amateur mechanic so can easily attempt any reasonable repairs on my own with a bit of guidance.

Thanks

Hi, long time since I had my 1992 Ls400 BUT my memory might be playing tricks on me .............

The steering wheel isn't telescopic

The mirrors aren't moveable electronically either........ your hands do the moving !

The dash needs soldering in the circuitry ..... Chris Vince on here is the expert to do it for you if you're not able to repair yourself. He's on here and lives Farnborough Hants way, You can take your car there and he will zap the dash out, fix it and re-install and not very expensive either................. all the while feeding you coffee.

Let me know if you want his number

Other than that I can't remember much about my 92 car, other than it was BRILLIANT

Welcome to fantastic motoring Mark

Malc

Edited by Malc
  • Like 1

There is a computer behind the glove box for the mirror settings, this may be faulty.

Mine was when I bought the car, I modified a 1990 unit to fit, only the case and bracket are different.

Hi

I bought a 1992 LS400 a few months ago and it is a pleasure to drive. The car has 172k miles on the clock.

Hope you guys can help me with some niggles I have, I have tried searching the forums but they do not specifically answer my questions-

1. The steering wheel column is dead. It never worked, it does not go up or down/ no tilt or telescope. The motor does not sound at all, its as if it is completely dead. Could this be a motor issue, an ignition switch issue or something else?

2. The seat/steering wheel/mirror memory does not save any settings at all. Could it be possible that there is a loose/broken connection somewhere?

3. The lights on the dash aircon controls are partially lit. Is this a case of blown bulbs?

I will appreciate any feedback on the above and if someone can briefly explain me what do do. I am an amateur mechanic so can easily attempt any reasonable repairs on my own with a bit of guidance.

Thanks

Mark hi,and welcome.

Just to clarify point 3, is it the control buttons that are the problem or the temp/time display ? the latter is a fairly common

problem on the Mk2 ,the only cure for that is an LCD replacment.

The steering tilt and slide is powered by two motors so unlikely both have failed ,common to both is the tilt and slide ECU with attendant wiring which could be the problem ,there is a fuse but this also protects other circuits which you don't mention as having problems. There is also a 30amp circuit breaker ,I had this fail on mine a couple of years ago with similar symptoms to you. The circuit breaker is located under the dash on the fuse panel ,if it is OC when checked with a multimeter you have found the culprit.

I took the thing apart cleaned it and reassembled which fortunately restored it to working order ,I meant to source a replacement

but completely forgot all about it until your post.

For the memory problem are you setting it as per the handbook and do you hear a beep when it sets.

Best of luck with your niggles.

im sure steering motors it on the same circuit as the big interior light the fuse under the bonnet,i know when i had my ist ls there was a problem,with steering motors & no interior lights and i changed the fuse and all ok

As mentioned before, my 1992 Mk1 didn't have an adjustable steering column .......... and the tyres were a different size too . 195's if my memory is right.

My 1994 Mk2 did however

Malc

Hi thanks for the replies guys.

I fixed the climate control/aircon lights today. I took apart everything (centre console) and put it back in 20 minutes, very easy to do. It was a case of replacing the blown mini bulbs which I did. £2 and sorted.

Rupert - I don't have any blown fuses, I have checked everything. I will check the circuit breaker (relay) as you have mentioned tomorrow.

Thanks

Malc, have to correct you on the steering column movement

The LS400 from inception had horitontal and vertical electrically driven adjustment which could be switched off via a button adjacent to the adjustment button.

It had the same memory system, that is in the mark 4 one for the driver and one other,which was housed in the drivers door card above the door opener.

ah right, long time ago now for me ..... maybe I'm thinking that the steering wheel didn't retract with removal of the ignition key. NOW, I know that didn't happen on my Mk1 ...... or did it !!!!

ah ha !!!!! ignorance was ...... " bliss " :outforcount: ( or was it ! )

Malc

Malc Yes it did if you had it switched on if it was switched off nothing happened .I had it switched off on my Mark 1 because I had no problem slipping into the drivers seat with the steering wheel in situ.

I have not put on any weight since I bought the Mark 4 but I struggle to get in and out if I leave the car with the steering wheel in situ ie; engine running when opening the drive gate. The position of both the drivers seat and steering column have definitly been tweaked from the Mark 1 to the Mark 4 there always seemed to be more cabin room in the mark 1.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links