Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I upgraded to the new is250 in September last year, and so far I think I preferred the previous is250 that I had. I decided to take the SATNAV option as I found the Multi Media aspects of the basic audio system somewhat awkward to use while driving.

Thoughts on car so far:-

Doesn't drive as well as previous model - I can "feel" it changing gears which I never did in the old model, and it doesn't feel as "planted" driving at high speed.

First time I lifted the boot lid, I nearly smacked myself in the face as it was just so light - had close look at it and it's covered in very cheap looking plastic over the hinges. Not very Lexus at all!!

I always play my music from a USB memory stick, placed in the USB slot in the arm rest, imagine my surprise to find the arm rest will not close with a normal sized and length Memory Stick. Not sure Lexus thought of that one during the redesign - I had to buy a USB connector cable so my memory stick would lie in the arm rest and not impinge on it closing.

I'm don't really have a lot of experience in using SATNAV but it does make some strange decisions about the route, but I guess I'll continue to ignore it if I know better.

Randomly, Audio switches itself off either at start-up time, or during play back. I had software upgrade done last week and it's made no difference so it's back to Lexus about that I guess.

I will check the manual, but it seems one of my reversing lights has expired so that needs looking at if indeed I should have two.

Like you, psmallri, I upgraded to the new Lexus IS250 in September of 2013 and agree with some of your comments. My comments apply to the new IS250 Premier auto compared with a 2009 SEL auto. The auto gearbox isn't quite as smooth changing gear, but its still very good. To me, the car actually feels firmer on the road and rather more confidence inspiring but I suspect that this is pretty subjective. The seat cushions are either thinner or firmer, which might add to the feel of a harder ride.

The audio system now takes only one CD compared with 6 on the previous model. Perhaps this means that Lexus, along with apple (who have discontinued providing DVD/CD drives on their computers), feel that DVD/CD's will soon be as ancient as 7-track cassettes or floppy discs. On the other hand, I can now play my Iphone music via Bluetooth, although it does not seem to connect up all that reliably and I need to resort to reading the manual to see if I am doing anything wrong.

There are no lights along the strip underneath the bottom of the front doors. These were actually very useful.

The memory for the seat positions on the passenger side has been removed.

There's now no cigarette lighter but a socket underneath the arm rest. For me, the original lighter/socket position at the base of the main instrument panel was convenient for plugging in a phone charger. The new position is not as convenient or as easily get-attable, particularly on the move if a passenger wants to use it.

I think that you will find that there is only one reversing light - somewhere in the manual it states this and mentions that it is on one side for RHD cars and the other for LHD cars.

The driver's seat automatically moving to the rear to allow easier entry/exit is a nice feature.... But you must remember if you have placed anything on the floor behind the seat or it could get crushed (dog owners beware!)

Perhaps the beat thing is that the rear seats can now be folded forward to increase the boot size and allow the carriage of lengthy loads. Rear passenger foot space has also been increased.

I personally do not like the new styling and find it a bit garish, particularly in the front. The front seems to project a bit further forward than the previous model and makes it difficult to judge where exactly the front edge of the "bumper" is. On the other hand, I am the world's worst parker and typically need a 100 yard straight run-in, a parking bay as wide as it is long, and at least two assistants to see me in.

Interesting thread. I too have tried the 3rd gen IS and have to admit that I wasn't convinced that it represented an improvement over the 2nd gen 250. I also found the ride a little too firm, with no noticeable improvement in handling. The seats seemed firmer and thinner than the 2nd gen and the seating position was noticeably lower.

As I'm going to be in the market to change my 2nd gen IS250 within the next year, the choice (as far as Lexus is concerned) is either a new 3rd gen IS250 (around £30K) or a late fully loaded 2nd gen IS250 with about 20K miles on the clock (around £15K).

Originally I thought it was going to be hard decision, but TBH the 2nd gen is starting to look like a no-brainer (for me at least).

I feel that the 3rd Gen IS is an improvement in every area. Reasons being -

Seat is much more comfortable and fits like a glove, reminds me of the recaro sport seats in my first car which was a mk2 Golf back in the day.

Seating position is closer to the ground - Feels like you are driving a true sports sedan.

The dial on the F Sport is super cool - bragging rights by itself

Exterior Design - It looks awesome, predator/catfish, its completely unique on the road and you can feel people staring at it.

Interior Design - Loving the dash - dash design is much better than 2nd Gen as well as the new BMW F30 3 series which is functional but dated.

Intake - They've done a good job on the Intake in the 250. Gives a much throatier noise.

Ride - Firm but I wouldn't call it harsh - A Porsche or BMW is what I would refer to as harsh.

Positives aside, I agree with your comment about the boot. It is definitely very light but I think this is to do with the use of Aluminium to save weight. I think theres also been a little work gone in to the transmission to make it shift differently.

I think another negative would be the new F Sport white paint. Using any form of silicone based tire gel stains the paint - WTF? Its got a clear coat which reacts with silicone, pretty stupid idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Gear change not being smooth afflicts the GS250 too. Having driven several IS2 250 Auto's (which I have to say were smoother) I think it could be the fact that there are a few more electronics forcing things to happen. e.g. the Eco/Normal/Sport control - this is adding an electronic "committee" that decides when and (especially in the case of Sport mode) how the changes happen.

It seems to be best in Eco mode I have found. In Normal or Sport you have to almost anticipate the changes and then lift off the pedal a little. The car doesn't like being hurried - it just wants to waft around, a bit like me (lol), so I just leave in Eco most of the time and it's absolutely fine.

Seats are subjective of course, didn't fit me at all. The Lumbar adjustment being too high for my back etc.

Exterior design etc is very good, grows on you.

The ride - well having being used to the supreme comfort of the GS, it's never going to win me over. I did find it hard, though it handled (F Sport) beautifully. The Old IS was firm but "bouncy" in my opinion.

The boot lid - interesting - it's surely not beyond the wit of man to counter-balance with correctly weighted springing and damping is it? BMW manage to do it. In the BMW 5 series e60, you pressed the button on the fob and the boot will spring open like it's an electric/auto mechanism and not bounce back. In the GS it feels quite poor. The boot will not spring up when opened, and when you do open it you have to do it gently else it bounces back and risks cracking your forehead open if you start to lean into the boot! I know there is an argument that it's light because it's aluminium, or plastic etc, but they all are, every manufacturer. It was the same on the old IS too - in fact it used to strike the bumper on mine when being closed.

Some really interesting comments here.

I saw the new IS at Geneva last year and felt that it looked fabulous, but like the CT I feel that some of the plastics etc are a little low rent. My last car was a 135i and that had the same issue. Dashboard was nice and squidgy but the surrounding plastics felt hard and 80's moulded iykwim.

I was chatting to a Lexus dealer before buying my current IS2 and he said (for him) there's a definite drop in qualify feel on the new car, but it's still outselling the old one on looks.

I find the boot lid in mine light, and weirdly have saw several cars which had the paint rubbed off the boot and bumper because they got slammed too hard by people expecting more resistance.

Personally I'm hoping the IS2 will be seen as a sweet spot like a 90's merc and hold it's value a little better. I still think the IS2 looks great until you see it parked next to a new one ;)

"Personally I'm hoping the IS2 will be seen as a sweet spot like a 90's merc and hold it's value a little better. I still think the IS2 looks great until you see it parked next to a new one ;)"

Agreed - but only in IS250 form, not 220d form!!

I put some masking tape on the edges of the boot lid where it struck the bumper, and tried to shut gently. It would normally just not latch on or shut unless I applied enough force for it to strike the bumper.

Dealers couldn't do anything (replaced the bungs, adjusted them etc to no effect), other than touch up the paint for me....

The other comment about holding it's value - well I think it's all down to demand and supply. There is a small supply and a small demand, so it should fair no better or worse than the 2IS - personally I think that the 2.5 v6 will become coveted once it's withdrawn which it will be I fear (as is the case with the 4GS). Looks like most 3IS's are 300h's. Wouldn't be surprised if they do kill off the IS250 - just not clean enough for the UK's company car brigade.

True but the hybrid Battery life costs would put me off for sure.

Regard the boot, have a look at sugru. I put a small blob at each corner, closed the boot, then opened it slightly to let it dry. You end up with perfectly moulded bump stops!

You can get it from Halfords etc, it's also good for addressing any tiny squeaks and rattles in cars or holding your phone.

www.sugru.com

True but the hybrid battery life costs would put me off for sure.

Regard the boot, have a look at sugru. I put a small blob at each corner, closed the boot, then opened it slightly to let it dry. You end up with perfectly moulded bump stops!

You can get it from halfords etc, it's also good for addressing any tiny squeaks and rattles in cars or holding your phone.

www.sugru.com

Theres only been 1 incidence in the UK of ANY Battery being replaced on a Lexus vehicle.

No point getting into a debate on the Battery thing it's been done before, but it's odd to me why Lexus has a specific 8 year warranty on it, and dealer had a known cost for a replacement, if it's never required?

I'm not saying the batteries will fail or leak etc, but they will lose their ability to hold charge for long periods. My Iphone used to last 2 days when new, not I'm lucky to get 6 hours. Silly example but that's the gist. Over time the barley will do less of the work and the engine will just be limping around more dead weight.

If lexus had a Battery which maintains efficiency forever they would be richest company on earth lol.

Very interesting reading I must say. Personally I much prefer the ride in my 3rd gen (300h F Sport) over the 2nd gen, and find the seats excellent too. These points are highly subjective of course. I'm not sure about the 250 being killed off, the hybrid is obviously aimed at the company car diesel market, and whilst the mileage rates don't differentiate between petrol and hybrid, I suspect they may win plenty over.

I generally agree about things like the boot lid and the inaccessibility of the centre storage unit, not to mention problems with the software which is still not 100%, but overall I think it's a great car, and certainly a head turner.

One other thing which I can't believe they didn't discover and rectify in development is when you open the door in the rain, I wouldn't exaggerate and say you get drenched, but you are certainly reminded it's raining out there! It seems to run off the roof line straight into you and the car. Mind you, it doesn't rain much here in the UK so no big deal lol.

Very interesting reading I must say. Personally I much prefer the ride in my 3rd gen (300h F Sport) over the 2nd gen, and find the seats excellent too. These points are highly subjective of course. I'm not sure about the 250 being killed off, the hybrid is obviously aimed at the company car diesel market, and whilst the mileage rates don't differentiate between petrol and hybrid, I suspect they may win plenty over.

I generally agree about things like the boot lid and the inaccessibility of the centre storage unit, not to mention problems with the software which is still not 100%, but overall I think it's a great car, and certainly a head turner.

One other thing which I can't believe they didn't discover and rectify in development is when you open the door in the rain, I wouldn't exaggerate and say you get drenched, but you are certainly reminded it's raining out there! It seems to run off the roof line straight into you and the car. Mind you, it doesn't rain much here in the UK so no big deal lol.

lol

No roof gutters....I recall the same was said about the G2

No point getting into a debate on the battery thing it's been done before, but it's odd to me why Lexus has a specific 8 year warranty on it, and dealer had a known cost for a replacement, if it's never required?

I'm not saying the batteries will fail or leak etc, but they will lose their ability to hold charge for long periods. My iPhone used to last 2 days when new, not I'm lucky to get 6 hours. Silly example but that's the gist. Over time the barley will do less of the work and the engine will just be limping around more dead weight.

If lexus had a battery which maintains efficiency forever they would be richest company on earth lol.

Laptop batteries fail if you keep the plug in all day. Itll be a good 20 years before the batteries go if used properly. Besides, the argument of batteries is the same as a cars engine, cars lose bhp over time so the engine will be limping around more dead weight will it not?

The other thing is that the batteries never go <20% and never >80%, which should significantly prolong their life - but there are threads on this forum which do indicate some issues with 450h's from 2006 ish....

You shouldn't kid yourself tbh, there are more things to eventually go wrong.

I to went from a 2011 2IS 250 to to the new 3IS 250 and I find is superior in almost all departments, it looks fantastic, the ride is better ( it's firm but it doesn't jiggle the car about like the 2IS ) the new sat. nav. as been updated ( speed camera warning, speed limit displayed ) and the seats are very comfortable and there's much more leg room for rear passengers.

I have only covered 800 miles so haven't experienced it to it's full potential but what little use its had on the A and B roads in this neck of the woods it handles very well indeed, and the auto box is as smooth and slick as the previous model and possibility a little quicker.

The only criticism I have is with the door pockets were I much prefer the old design, having said that when in the car they are not really noticeable.

I have not for a moment regretted my decision to change and anybody who may have doubts after reading some of the comments here is have a drive of the new model and make up your own mind.

D

• 1 month later...

I've now had my new style IS250 for about six months, and have updated my thoughts below. I am in discussion with Lexus about another Software update to allegedly solve the NAV and Audio problems, but having asked for the Release Notes for the proposed Software Version (so I can be sure it would solve one or more of my problems) it seems Lexus Poole have problems getting the information - that really is a bit rubbish, as even if the software comes from Japan somewhere there must be a list of what it is supposed to fix!!!

Anyway, here is my updated thoughts and issues:-

1. Indicators - now changed to Soft Touch rubbish, cannot
say how much I absolutely hate them. Need to be changed to 7 blinks. Changed
mind and think will have them set to zero so they do nothing!

2. Boot - lid very very light, hinges now covered in

Plastic. What were Lexus thinking, this is far from Lexus Quality.

3. Gears - unlike previous IS250 I can feel it changing
gears up and down (think it's mainly 5th and 6th but not worked out how to see
what gear I'm in yet). Seems to be all top gears 4 5 and 6.

4. Idling - unlike previous IS250, I am unable to reverse
into my very narrow driveway just using the brake pedal, I have to give it a
dab of accelerator.

5. Driving - having driving a long mixed (country roads,
town, and motorway) 500 mile journey, it doesn't feel as "stuck to the
road" as the previous IS250. It's getting better or I'm getting used to
it!!!

6. USBs - two USB slots won't allow lid to close if
memory stick of average length inserted. Had to purchase USB Adaptor that uses
wire.

7. Would I recommend it to other potential users, only if
they've never driven or owned the previous model. Would I recommend the
previous model - absolutely.

8. On starting sometimes neither USB nor Bluetoothe Audio
are recognised, and sometimes get lost during playback so have to go into
settings and assign them again.

9. Unable to sign onto Lexus Portal despite being able to
do so on PC () get ID=214 error.

10. While driving or on startup the screen goes blank
with just top line minimised. Fixed until next time by disabling screen then
back on.

11. Lights and windscreen wipers set to auto, sometimes
don't seem to come on or go off, especially after squirting screen washers at
screen, have to do it again and for longer to activate wipers. It's not
consistent.

12. The Nav system is at best awful, how it chooses it's
routes is beyond me to the point where I don't actually trust it, and I paid
extra for this!!!

13. Most of the times for Audio I simply want to find
another track, artist, or folder to play, but the Browse button is greyed out.
I just can't fathom out any reason why as eventually the button is ungreyed but
only after I've skipped through music one by one! Really really annoying.

There is another software update you can download from the portal and update the car yourself. whether it'll make any difference is anyone's guess. I know the new CT has the same nav/infotainment system so maybe with the higher volumes of those that they sell these really annoying bugs will get ironed out as more updates come out.

Re point 12, I completely agree. It tried to take me on a ridiculous diversion when a local road was closed during the flooding. And I mean really ridiculous, miles out of the way. I certainly don't remember my 250 behaving like that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links