Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that my IS250 2006 Auto is smoking more at traffic lights than any other car on the road. I have only noticed this happens when I am stationary and the smoke can be seen on the side mirrors and rear view mirror.

I don't know why this is happening and don't know if the weather is to blame. but these are the checks I have done:

1. Checked Coolant - All OK

2. Check for sludge on dipstick and oil cap - All OK

3. Checked for smoke colour - Seems normal but does stay around for a while, even after the engine if off. Seems a bit sweaty when I put my hands on the end of the exhaust - No smell of petrol or coolant.

My driving style: Short city driving

I have read lots of forums but most are in USA and mot much from UK.

Should I worry or not???? :eerrrmm: :eerrrmm: :eerrrmm:

Thank you for all your help

6 cylinder cars do give off a lot if smoke/steam when the engine is cold and it's cold outside it may appear more. If it's a clear steam then it's pretty normal, just water evaporating off the exhaust. if it's thick white or blue then it's time to be concerned. Does it disappear after a good run in the car and it's warm or is it smoking all the time? My IS300 and my 200 before it smoked/steamed loads in the winter but after a few miles and the car is warm it completely disappears.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

No the smoke stays even after the engine is warmed up, but only when I am stationary.

It is quite thick but I wouldn't say the colour is blue....maybe whitish / sweaty...

I don't have any other symptoms such as over heating, no loss of coolant, no sludge.

What should I do now? Should I be worried?

Tough to say mate, so if you drove say 50 miles the smoke would still be present and quite thick when stationary?

Does the car drive ok? Does it sound ok? Does it sound as if something is blocked? I'm thinking CAT?

If you are really concerned mate then take it to be looked at by a mechanic and if you know a friendly garage that does MOT's you could ask them to quickly put yours on the emissions tester to see if it passes or not. You'll know then if it's ok or not.

Maybe post a quick vid up of your smoke? See what other members and other 250 owners make of it.

To be honest would say it's nothing more than condensation.

That's what I'm thinking and that's prob what it is. But we had somebody ask the same question on another forum and we told them it's normal steam from condensation and a couple of days later his CAT collapsed.

Mine does the same with a V8 engine, had me looking out the mirrors a few times and checking the temperature gauge which is always midway.

Also noticed water droplets out of the tailpipes but been like this for years and nothing nasty has happened.

Water which is a natural product of combustion tends to condense in the exhaust system then boils off into steam when the system warms up,this eventually results in the exhaust rotting from the inside out if not stainless steel.

Yes even after 50 miles the car would smoke when stationary.

Okay so that car is only giving me 20mph on the on Board Computer with normal driving, two days ago I noticed the car is not picking up speed and not aggressive as it used to....It revs high with low performance!!!

Car drives okay apart for the above point. No noises except for the injectors music, occasionally there would be load tapping/clicking noise on cold start which get faster as you rev, but this goes away when engine is warm.

Went for an MOT two weeks ago and passed the test.

How can you tell if it is blocked? Do you mean check inside the ends of the exhaust?

Sorry for all the questions but really do appreciate your help before I take it to a garage who will come up with all sorts of things.

Thank you

It's quite normal. Mine smokes like a chainsmoker outside a pub every winter. Even after a long run it will smoke at the traffic lights. It is actually just steam not smoke.

Thank to you all for your replies... I guess I was panicking for nothing, after reading a lot on the LOC.com site

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve Thanks for your reply,

So is your car okay then or did you do any work to it...I know exhaust is very expensive on the Lexus.[/

quote]

Hi Ishaq, its quiet simple: smoke means condens during winter times if not thick of course but, as long as all fluids checked and none of them drops level then its 100% just condensation. U see I drive 220d is and sometimes I get this white cloud kind of smoke when I sitt at the traffic lights. ..!!! That could be dpf or egr throwing out "excrement" so to speak but none to worry as long as its not tick and or coloured. Thats what I think anyway.

• 1 year later...

Mines does this regardless of whether engine has warmed up or not, agree it is a bit embarrassing when stationary at lights and ur car is the only one smoking lol, had mines almost 3 years and passes MOT with flying colours :)

I think exhaust fume has sweet smell to it a little. in UK they always make white smoke due to weather. naturally aspirated petrol make a lot more compared to diesel.

I have noticed high octane makes even more but that's an opinion.

I think exhaust fume has sweet smell to it a little. in UK they always make white smoke due to weather. naturally aspirated petrol make a lot more compared to diesel.

I have noticed high octane makes even more but that's an opinion.

Could be right, I use Vpower most of the time, tesco 99 the rest of the time

Hi Guys, mines stills smokes...LOL

But i have no problems and car drives like new. I use V-Power and Tesco 99 when there is to much wait at Shell.

I have had 2 Engine Carbon Cleans done which is once a year and can not fault the performance and enjoyment I get every time I drive my car. It is so smooth that sometimes it feels like the car engine is off.....

• 1 year later...

I'm about 2 year late to this post, my 55plate is250 had been smoking recently (probably about 2 weeks) even after long drives. My intention was to get it checked at my now due mot as it has never done this in the 7 years i have owned it but this morning the cause of the smoke became clear when the driver side back box connection snapped off. Just wear and tear but a pain none the less. Just incase anyone else has similar issues could be worth having a look. I never had any engine lights come on either to say there was a fault. 20170121_110934.jpg

I've not had my is250 long but have noticed when stationery at traffic lights or junctions lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. As it's always been cold since owning my 250 I'm pretty sure it's just condensation. As soon as I pull away it disappears. I think it looks rather cool actually with lots of lovely wispy white smoke exiting those twin pipes . Most cars are the same this time of year but I've noticed a lot of the powerful mercedes with big engines really do pump out a lot of smoke when stationery. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links