Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well let the sadness begin, got told today that my job (+ 1 more) is being made redundant.

They have said that I can take the final 4 weeks off with pay (less overtime and bonus) to allow me to search for new employment, bastuds could have told me before I started my shift.

Think I will rest up for a week though and do nothing to fully recharge my batteries. 2am to 4am starts do take their toll on you.

Sulking I don't do, but I do feel the urge to do something, like maybe have a few extra beers tonite while watching the tv.

Guess I may have to sign with a local agency for the time being, lets hope I get lucky eh.....

Hi Chris, Sorry to hear that.

This country stinks, but take heart from our leaders "we are all in this together" The S**T that is, except them of course.

Hope finding another job doesn't prove too problematical. Mike

sorry to hear that chris,hope something will turn up for you

must admit i'm suprised,because yesterday morning ,a millionaire,ex public schoolboy ,told me everything was now ok ,and how much better off financially i am in the last year,i was pleased he brought this to my attention,because i'd missed it

• Like 6

Hi Chris,my commiserations at losing your job, but,by the sound of it,your optimistic attitude towards your situation, will hold you in good stead,small consolation,I know,but the old saying,'one door closes,another one opens, springs to mind,keep smiling pal,and all the best.

Sorry to hear this Chris, you're not a qualified electrician by any chance are you?

Nah i don't touch electrickery if i can avoid it, basic stuff i will do, nothing big like 240v and up, silent killer that stuff is.

• Like 1

Chris,

Been there myself twice, last time I did consider ditching the LS, but glad I did not. Was out of work for nearly a year, but hung on in there and kept myself busy.

As you say sulking never works, just making sure that you end up doing something you like.

What I could not get my head around was being told I was too experienced (never too old), and one job I knew I could do I was rejected by the job agency. Well a year later the company that were looking for someone, they ended up being my customer, and they said they wanted more mature experienced people and yet they had never had anyone make the interview grade (they were only being sent lads out of the job center who were not interested, but had to turn up for interview).

How bonkers is that.

We'll I be keeping me fingers crossed that something decent comes along.

Sorry to hear your news Chris. I may soon be in a similar position to you - and I'm looking forward to it!. I am also an LGV driver facing the chop by the s**ts that recently took over the company I have been employed by for 19 years. Unemployment wouldn't really have been something I looked forward to,but I've got plans for my redundancy money. It may be the kick up the jacksy I need to set myself up in my own business. As I am 57 next week,I doubt there will be a queue of employers waiting to take me on!. In fact,when I was 44 I applied for another HGV job and was told then that I'm 'no spring chicken then'!!. Bloody cheek.

I have looked at various franchises,but there seems to be a hell of a lot of small print and risk involved. My LGV licence is also up for renewal soon and due to health reasons,it may be revoked. (I'm not telling my employer this of course).

Perhaps I could start a breakers yard,and break LS400's for a living. Now there's a thought.................

Hi Chris, let me add my name to all your friends here who wish you well in looking for a new job. I've been made redundant myself three times but have always managed to bounce back and no doubt you will too. My experience has been that employers realise that these are tough times and that redundancy is no sign of incompetence. I do believe that the economy is picking up and this will translate into more job opportunities for all of us. Good luck and best wishes.

Pepe

Very sorry to hear that Chris. I quit my job with the local authority (Wakefield) in June of last year due to the unbelievable amount of bull**** and politics in that environment. I could take it no longer, working for people in HR management with a complete absence of integrity or concern for their people. It was my choice so slightly different circumstances but in my late fifties I still have doubts whether I could find another job, especially with the part time hours I want. It was definitely time to go as our well respected and well qualified manager was pushed out in a very sly and shameless way by the clueless HR despots. Four of a team of eight colleagues then left on the same day, making five out of eight altogether. Two of us did not even have a job to go to. Anyway, I went self employed and am much happier for it.

Both my wife and I have been in a similar position over the years, and at times it seemed like the end of the world. However, the days of loyal employees working forty five years for the same employer before getting a gold watch are long gone. Loyalty and hard work count for precisely nothing. Based on the experience of my wife and I, something always, and I do mean always turns up.I can honestly say that based on our experience, things usually turn out for the better. Good luck mate

Hi Chris,

Time to take stock, and have a holiday to put things in perspective.

Come to sunny NZ, and if you do you can borrow my LS430 to drive around and explore the country.

You'll feel right at home as mine's the same colour as yours.

Now there's an offer you can't refuse!

Nigel

• Like 2

Bit of an odd ball I know, but Apprenticeships can be for any start age................... local discussions in Kent ........ a local Marine Engineering works is having trouble finding someone to train as a Shipwright and marine engineer.

Just a thought. I do voluntary stuff for the FSB ( local Chair ) and a local harbour trust. .... and picked up the latter at Excel Boat Show the other week.

Not sure what opportunities there might be in this frame for you locally if you had that interest.

Malc

Wow Nigel, now you really are working your username... :)

Seriously, I applaud your generosity!

(love the idea of NZ, maybe I should emigrate)

Chris, I'm in a similar situation to yours, only I'm ahead by just over a year. And what a year it's been! I'm lucky that my redundancy enabled me to not only get myself a Lexus (LS430), but also gave me time for multiple holidays. I've had a fantastic time, that will finally end when I return from skiing the French Alps.

Gotta go, sun's out and there's fresh snow...

• Like 1